Is this the end for Oliver Norwood? page 2 Panty Sniff g8

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Is this the end for Oliver Norwood?

by CountryRoyal » 19 Dec 2015 13:39

Anyone bemoaning a perceived style of play under McDermott, especially without even having played one game second time round = knob

Pseud O'Nym
Hob Nob Regular

by Pseud O'Nym » 19 Dec 2015 13:46

Armadillo Roadkill
RoyalBlue And wasn't Matt Mills just following the manager's instructions when he kept pinging those long balls that led to 'MillsGate' ?

Yes he was. And that manager was Brendan Rodgers.

Who obviously made a huge impression on Mills seeing as he's still doing it three teams later.

Royal Farmer

by Royal Farmer » 19 Dec 2015 14:32

I don't post on here much (I'm sure to the benefit of the board's overall IQ), but for my part I can't help but feel Brian gets a lot of undue stick over his "long ball style". [Puts on RTGs] In his first half season after Brendan's dismissal, during which time he arguably had a squad that contained the most talented individuals of his tenure, he played some fantastic football that was a joy to watch. I remember sitting in the sun watching us shred an admittedly already relegated Peterborough 6-0 and just loving every second of it. The subsequent seasons saw us constantly ship out any player who'd been a shining light for us previously, often at short notice, and Brian constantly having to adapt as quickly as possible to find a means of getting the team up and running. He wasn't in a position to bring in new players to replace the likes of Gylfi or Long. His hands were seemingly tied financially early on or forced by a football manager chairman during our premiership stay. Both scenarios meant we couldn't pursue the kind of players we needed to recreate the 'pretty' football that Brian encouraged early on and which some of us I feel have subsequently forgotten. In short, I think we really shouldn't criticise Brian's playing style from his first stint in charge, and rather simply laud the fact that he found a means of making each squad play to and beyond their potential each season. A argument could even be made for him doing this in the Prem, given how weak that squad really was.

As to the op, I think that Brian has shown in his previous time at Reading that he can be tactically flexible, and favours not long ball football but simply a style that gets the best out of the collective group. People are saying Guthrie is proof that he can't play passing football, but I'd say Guthrie was sacrificed under this philosophy due to the lack of overall ability in the squad.The squad we have now is I think the strongest Brian will ever have managed at Reading, and thus I hope we'll see football which reflects that. Norwood is a key component of what we do now and has been one of our players of the season. I can't see Brian ignoring that, at least I certainly hope not anyway.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 19 Dec 2015 14:46

Royal Farmer I don't post on here much (I'm sure to the benefit of the board's overall IQ), but for my part I can't help but feel Brian gets a lot of undue stick over his "long ball style". [Puts on RTGs] In his first half season after Brendan's dismissal, during which time he arguably had a squad that contained the most talented individuals of his tenure, he played some fantastic football that was a joy to watch. I remember sitting in the sun watching us shred an admittedly already relegated Peterborough 6-0 and just loving every second of it. The subsequent seasons saw us constantly ship out any player who'd been a shining light for us previously, often at short notice, and Brian constantly having to adapt as quickly as possible to find a means of getting the team up and running. He wasn't in a position to bring in new players to replace the likes of Gylfi or Long. His hands were seemingly tied financially early on or forced by a football manager chairman during our premiership stay. Both scenarios meant we couldn't pursue the kind of players we needed to recreate the 'pretty' football that Brian encouraged early on and which some of us I feel have subsequently forgotten. In short, I think we really shouldn't criticise Brian's playing style from his first stint in charge, and rather simply laud the fact that he found a means of making each squad play to and beyond their potential each season. A argument could even be made for him doing this in the Prem, given how weak that squad really was.

As to the op, I think that Brian has shown in his previous time at Reading that he can be tactically flexible, and favours not long ball football but simply a style that gets the best out of the collective group. People are saying Guthrie is proof that he can't play passing football, but I'd say Guthrie was sacrificed under this philosophy due to the lack of overall ability in the squad.The squad we have now is I think the strongest Brian will ever have managed at Reading, and thus I hope we'll see football which reflects that. Norwood is a key component of what we do now and has been one of our players of the season. I can't see Brian ignoring that, at least I certainly hope not anyway.

It's no wonder you don't post a lot.
There is no place for reasoned logic and sense on these boards.

Royal Farmer

by Royal Farmer » 19 Dec 2015 15:00

It's no wonder you don't post a lot.
There is no place for reasoned logic and sense on these boards.[/quote]

You're too kind. I'll clear my desk asap

Libertine
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Connecticut...aka "The Fifth Ring of Hell" & Prediction League Champion 2015/2016

by Libertine » 19 Dec 2015 15:03

Royal Farmer I don't post on here much (I'm sure to the benefit of the board's overall IQ), but for my part I can't help but feel Brian gets a lot of undue stick over his "long ball style". [Puts on RTGs] In his first half season after Brendan's dismissal, during which time he arguably had a squad that contained the most talented individuals of his tenure, he played some fantastic football that was a joy to watch. I remember sitting in the sun watching us shred an admittedly already relegated Peterborough 6-0 and just loving every second of it. The subsequent seasons saw us constantly ship out any player who'd been a shining light for us previously, often at short notice, and Brian constantly having to adapt as quickly as possible to find a means of getting the team up and running. He wasn't in a position to bring in new players to replace the likes of Gylfi or Long. His hands were seemingly tied financially early on or forced by a football manager chairman during our premiership stay. Both scenarios meant we couldn't pursue the kind of players we needed to recreate the 'pretty' football that Brian encouraged early on and which some of us I feel have subsequently forgotten. In short, I think we really shouldn't criticise Brian's playing style from his first stint in charge, and rather simply laud the fact that he found a means of making each squad play to and beyond their potential each season. A argument could even be made for him doing this in the Prem, given how weak that squad really was.

Thank you for this post!

This is exactly how I remembered things. And each time one of our better players were sold suitable replacements were not provided because of cost resulting in Brian having no choice but to play the style that he is so derided for around here...and still managed to get us promoted.

And once promoted one of his first moves was to get an Ollie Norwood type of player for the midfield. Unfortunately that player turned out to be a lobster thermadore chucking pcunt of a mistake. Norwood is exactly the type of player Brian wants. If anyone suffers from Brian's return it will be Danny Williams, once Tish and Quinn are deemed fit to play.

sputnik
Hob Nob Regular
Location: HNA? Prediction League Champion 2014-15, 2018-19, 2021-22

by sputnik » 19 Dec 2015 15:16

Hi Royal Farmer.
Do you plough much or are you more into livestock?
gr8 post above btw

Royal Farmer

by Royal Farmer » 19 Dec 2015 15:39

sputnik Hi Royal Farmer.
gr8 post above btw

Definitely more of an arable man. There is something about laying down seed in countless furrows that sates an inner thirst.

sputnik
Hob Nob Regular
Location: HNA? Prediction League Champion 2014-15, 2018-19, 2021-22

by sputnik » 19 Dec 2015 15:44

nice

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 19 Dec 2015 15:53

sputnik Hi Royal Farmer.
gr8 post above btw

Or are you more into ploughing livestock?

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 19 Dec 2015 17:07

quickwingerswife When McDermott was here before he used the long ball a lot and the team was crying out for a ball playing midfielder.

We had Matejovsky. 8)

Trouble was he was on a different wave length to the rest of the team. Nor did he contribute enough to the team. Too lightweight for English football in the lower leagues.

McD used that the players that were available effectively. Hopefully he will do the same this time. .

quickwingerswife

by quickwingerswife » 19 Dec 2015 19:46

What I am saying is that Norwood has done great so far in a misfiring team this season. It's obvious that Clarke had overcoached, mumbled too much and lost the dressing room but Norwood kept up his own high standards, a sign of a good player.It will be wasted cos McDermott can't accommodate a skilful midfielder. Watch this space. Kick and Rush coming to a team near you soon.

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 19 Dec 2015 19:48

quickwingerswife What I am saying is that Norwood has done great so far in a misfiring team this season. It's obvious that Clarke had overcoached, mumbled too much and lost the dressing room but Norwood kept up his own high standards, a sign of a good player.It will be wasted cos McDermott can't accommodate a skilful midfielder. Watch this space. Kick and Rush coming to a team near you soon.

You see, all it needed was 2 pages to draw out your personal bias. Not a shred of real evidence just prejudice. Nuff said.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 19 Dec 2015 19:48

quickwingerswife What I am saying is that Norwood has done great so far in a misfiring team this season. It's obvious that Clarke had overcoached, mumbled too much and lost the dressing room but Norwood kept up his own high standards, a sign of a good player.It will be wasted cos McDermott can't accommodate a skilful midfielder. Watch this space. Kick and Rush coming to a team near you soon.

For a brief moment I considered writing a logical response to all of your witterings in this thread, but then I realised there's no point because you're a fukking tool.
Last edited by CountryRoyal on 19 Dec 2015 19:49, edited 1 time in total.

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 19 Dec 2015 19:49

CountryRoyal

For a brief moment I considered writing a logical response to all of your sufferings in this thread, but then I realised there's no point because you're a fukking tool.

Indeed.

quickwingerswife

by quickwingerswife » 19 Dec 2015 20:17

Bet you wouldn't say that sitting next to me. All mouth and no undercarriage, probably a pantie sniffer.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 19 Dec 2015 20:24

Wouldn't want to be within 20 feet of you, you overweight, shit-talking, deluded minger.

quickwingerswife

by quickwingerswife » 19 Dec 2015 20:36

Brilliant!. For the record. I'm size 10, reasonable looking. My old man thinks I talk too much as well but I just love quality football, not the junk you fat blokes thrive on.

quickwingerswife

by quickwingerswife » 19 Dec 2015 20:46

Very good. You always so close to a bit of limp ham?

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 19 Dec 2015 20:47

QuickSwingerWife must be over 60, an atheletic coach and an original WAG btw