BFTG - Bristol City

134 posts
RG7Fan

Re: BFTG - Bristol City

by RG7Fan » 02 Jan 2016 18:41

RG7Fan
The whole stadium except the South Stand knew the flag was up ...

Norwood MOTM for me.
Cooper must surely have booked a more regular place.
GMac a real impact today.
Williams - please just pass early instead of running in to dead ends (again ...).

Ref - poor.
Away linesman - absolute legend.

Corners - ughhh ...

DaveBanana

by DaveBanana » 02 Jan 2016 18:47

Actually quite enjoyed that - we had some shoddy patches but overall not so sure that all the criticism is deserved. The switch when GMac came on made a huge difference, with Blackman looking far better once he'd got shot of his shinpads or whatever it was he was doing in the corner. Williams seemed to be everywhere but did have a few chances where I feel a pass in front would have been better, but the points are in the bag anyway!

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

by Westwood52 » 02 Jan 2016 18:58

What a difference a goal makes-we were otherwise dreadful.

Al Habsi 6: Nothing to do -kicking is a bit better than Bond's

Gunter 8: A lot of fans hate Gunter but compare him with Taylor.
Taylor 5: Some very poor moments.
Mc Shane 6: Another tough game -presumably now out for weeks.
Cooper 7: Lets not go overboard was very bad a few matches ago -needs to toughen up for this level-but didn't put a foot wrong today -apart from crunching McShane

Norwood 5: Sublime to the ridiculous-our corners are such a non event
Williams 6: Give him his due-despite the obvious weaknesses always shows for the ball when others hide & always gives 100%

Blackman 7: The goal lifted his performance he is such a conundrum-there is a Premiership player in there somewhere if somebody can just get his head right.
Vydra 4 : Oh dear missed at least four chances. But hugely instrumental in the goal.
Sa 5: Feel sorry for the bloke-just doesn't get any support
Quinn 6 : By his usual standards a bit average today

G Mac 8: Brought his A game with him today
Anton 7: His playing days are numbered & carrying long term injuries -still remains a class act however
Kanu 4: McD made a bad call bringing him on -clearly knackered by too many games .Piazon would have been the better option.

Fair dues to Bristol brought a large vocal support & it must be hard supporting such a limited team( lack of finance I assume).

Ref: I try to be fair to the Officials but this one was very bad again-once again letting a lot of time wasting & obstruction go unpunished-we picked up a lot of yellows-don't think Bristol had any ?

The goal lifted a very frustrating afternoon.

wingnut
Hob Nob Regular

by wingnut » 02 Jan 2016 19:02

Thought it was a shite game tbph.

Neither side deserved to win it, both were equally terrible but getting the winner just after the disallowed "goal" was very satisfying.

Vydra was poor in front of goal but elsewhere worked his socks off - much more effective than Orlando. Thought that Blackman was the opposite of Vydra - other than the goal he was completely disinterested. Seemed far more preoccupied with his shin pad than, you know, actually playing football.

ladida_gunner_graham

by ladida_gunner_graham » 02 Jan 2016 19:05

Don't care that the performance was for the most part scrappy, those 3 points were too important. Failure to win today would have been a mini disaster.

The McShane injury is worrying. We'll have tougher tests than that in the next few weeks - we may miss him more than we did today. Still, Cooper continues to impress, so hopefully his progress continues.

Sa really is a lazy sod - after finally being given a start he played with so little commitment and energy. Really disappointed in him.

Pleased to see an adventurous change from Brian. Left back off, forward on....the inability to change the course of a game was one of his failures first time round.

Snowball136

by Snowball136 » 02 Jan 2016 19:19

I thought we showed a lot of promise today and fully deserved to win.

El Habsi may make occasional blunders but he looks a far better keeper and actually commands his box

Gunter, IMO played well. He made some important interceptions and going forward got into great positions but at least three times Blackman gave a hospital pass. Solid 7

Cooper. Did VERY well, won more headers than anyone else ever does, made plenty of tackles/interceptions and plenty of excellent passes out. I seriously believe that if he was a regular for twenty games he'd soon be our number 1 CB. Impressed.

McShane (I'll bring my boots next home game just in case). Honestly can't remember much good or bad but he isn't as dominant as the early games

Taylor OK

Norwood mostly excellent but a couple of horrendous mistakes. I think various players making mistakes is coming because our shape goes ragged far too often.

Williams, I was bitching about him first half. He wastes a lot of ball. Remember that a kid with ADHD and a bull in a china shop shop energy. His energy is fantastic and second half it worked. If he had discipline and application he'd be playing at a higher level, As long as he brings this much energy play him, but frankly I ;d rathe have Tish. Second half there was a moment that was almost an exact copy of his goal v Bolton (where really he should have put Blackman clear. This time he shot (again) when the pass to Blackman was a better option and p!ssed 22 off. I think someone should have words. Just those two incidents (today and Bolton) and Blackman could very easily have two more goals. IMO Williams is a "messy" player and contributes less than it appears at first glance,

Quinn, excellent again (great little player). good as a midfielder or LW or LB. Quality pro

Blackman (wing) Did OK except too many passes to Gunter that should have cut out the FB instead of allowing him to block. But he was overall OK and in the action a fair bit.

Blackman (striker)... a bit of old fashioned channel running or balls over the top a la Shane Long but a well-taken goal. I do NOT think the should start up front. He should play wide for 60 minutes with Sa-Vydra the front two (wearing down defenders)... Then and only if we are struggling, maybe pull of Sa, put Blackman up front (as today) and play McCleary wide.

Vydra is total quality but just drawing a blank ATM. His first chance was "made" by a brilliant run and him demanding the ball (from Quinn?) just a shame he knocked it wide. The narrow angle flash shot, well they get missed more often than scored. The third move (nice move) he sent it the leg side of the keeper but was unlucky to hit the keep's legs. We should persist with this guy.

Sa, not sure. I think he is by FAR our best hold-up player but he plays like he's not happy at Reading. I honestly think Sa-Vydra is the best front two by a mile.

McLeary was excellent when he came on, so was HRK. No complaints about Ferdinand (solid) but it's pretty clear his body is packing up so we need two CBs ASAP

We are a very good squad of players out of luck and out of confidence. Against Brentford we were done by two VG goals, we deserved something at Wo;res and at Hull, and threw away a 0-0 v QPR. I've lost count of the games we lost or drew this year because of silly goals or a poor defence in a dead ball situation. How many games are there where with 1% more luck we could have got extra points?

Birmingham away, Wednesday away, Hull away, Wolves Away. Derby H, QPR H, Brentford H at least. There are probably more, IMO if we finish say 8th this year, we could win this league with the same players.

We've had very few wins in our last 13 or so games but we have never been hammered. There's just something not clicking, and it may be too n==many loanees or too many foreigners, or a mouthy bad apple, I don't know.... but I fully expect us to come good and for McDermott to be winning more than 1.5 points per game (his current achievement)

Dr_Hfuhruhurr
Hob Nob Addict

by Dr_Hfuhruhurr » 02 Jan 2016 19:20

I thought their man up front up was pretty decent. And their number 5 had a few moments of excellant defending - but apart from that Bristol City brought just the type of football that was going to make a poor spectacle all round. Saying that we were lacklustre in the first half.

The Back Four looks better with a left back in it.
McCleary was a bit of quality.
I dont fancy Sa's chances of getting many more games under this regime.
There seems to be a fair few number of people who dont 'get' Blackman.

Everything else was a bit Meh.

For me, the key is Norwood, in that I wouldnt play him. He appears to have a good game because hes usually sat in unthreatening positions - but that just makes him unthreatening. I would rather we played a proper three in the central midfield or use the space in front of the back four to defend the back four. Im beginning to see why Huddersfield didnt always play him - formation wise - he's a conceptual nightmare.

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 02 Jan 2016 19:26

Snowball136 I thought we showed a lot of promise today and fully deserved to win.

El Habsi may make occasional blunders but he looks a far better keeper and actually commands his box

Gunter, IMO played well. He made some important interceptions and going forward got into great positions but at least three times Blackman gave a hospital pass. Solid 7

Cooper. Did VERY well, won more headers than anyone else ever does, made plenty of tackles/interceptions and plenty of excellent passes out. I seriously believe that if he was a regular for twenty games he'd soon be our number 1 CB. Impressed.

McShane (I'll bring my boots next home game just in case). Honestly can't remember much good or bad but he isn't as dominant as the early games

Taylor OK

Norwood mostly excellent but a couple of horrendous mistakes. I think various players making mistakes is coming because our shape goes ragged far too often.

Williams, I was bitching about him first half. He wastes a lot of ball. Remember that a kid with ADHD and a bull in a china shop shop energy. His energy is fantastic and second half it worked. If he had discipline and application he'd be playing at a higher level, As long as he brings this much energy play him, but frankly I ;d rathe have Tish. Second half there was a moment that was almost an exact copy of his goal v Bolton (where really he should have put Blackman clear. This time he shot (again) when the pass to Blackman was a better option and p!ssed 22 off. I think someone should have words. Just those two incidents (today and Bolton) and Blackman could very easily have two more goals. IMO Williams is a "messy" player and contributes less than it appears at first glance,

Quinn, excellent again (great little player). good as a midfielder or LW or LB. Quality pro

Blackman (wing) Did OK except too many passes to Gunter that should have cut out the FB instead of allowing him to block. But he was overall OK and in the action a fair bit.

Blackman (striker)... a bit of old fashioned channel running or balls over the top a la Shane Long but a well-taken goal. I do NOT think the should start up front. He should play wide for 60 minutes with Sa-Vydra the front two (wearing down defenders)... Then and only if we are struggling, maybe pull of Sa, put Blackman up front (as today) and play McCleary wide.

Vydra is total quality but just drawing a blank ATM. His first chance was "made" by a brilliant run and him demanding the ball (from Quinn?) just a shame he knocked it wide. The narrow angle flash shot, well they get missed more often than scored. The third move (nice move) he sent it the leg side of the keeper but was unlucky to hit the keep's legs. We should persist with this guy.

Sa, not sure. I think he is by FAR our best hold-up player but he plays like he's not happy at Reading. I honestly think Sa-Vydra is the best front two by a mile.

McLeary was excellent when he came on, so was HRK. No complaints about Ferdinand (solid) but it's pretty clear his body is packing up so we need two CBs ASAP

We are a very good squad of players out of luck and out of confidence. Against Brentford we were done by two VG goals, we deserved something at Wo;res and at Hull, and threw away a 0-0 v QPR. I've lost count of the games we lost or drew this year because of silly goals or a poor defence in a dead ball situation. How many games are there where with 1% more luck we could have got extra points?

Birmingham away, Wednesday away, Hull away, Wolves Away. Derby H, QPR H, Brentford H at least. There are probably more, IMO if we finish say 8th this year, we could win this league with the same players.

We've had very few wins in our last 13 or so games but we have never been hammered. There's just something not clicking, and it may be too n==many loanees or too many foreigners, or a mouthy bad apple, I don't know.... but I fully expect us to come good and for McDermott to be winning more than 1.5 points per game (his current achievement)

^^^ pretty spot on summary tbf

Didn't think we were that bad, just not as fluid and confident as we should be. That will come with some wins
Last edited by John Madejski's Wallet on 02 Jan 2016 19:27, edited 1 time in total.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 02 Jan 2016 19:27

Poor game but good to see some of the old fighting spirit return to grab the 3 points at the end.

Al-Habsi. Nowt much to do. 6

Gunter. Where to start? Just woeful around both boxes and another dive in the first half. 5
McShane. Shame he had to go off but Ferdinand was more than adequate when he was called upon. 6
Cooper. Couple of nervy moments on the ball but a complete rock. It will be interesting to see how he copes with an attack better than the one City offered up. 7.5
Taylor. Solid if unspectacular. 6

Blackman. Well taken goal but quiet otherwise. Needs to look before he makes a pass rather than trying the Ronaldinho look away routine. 7 (extra point for the goal)
Norwood. Some nice passing in the first half but lost his range a bit late on and put us in trouble a couple of times. 7
Williams. Poor first touch on a number of occasions and his selfishness meant he missed a very good opportunity to put Blackman through. 6
Quinn. Went about his business as per usual and showed some real leadership trying to rally his team mates. 8

Vydra. Absolutely woeful finishing. Ran around a lot but he was bought to the club, for a very large loan fee, to score goals. Good tackle in build up to the goal but it was his mistake losing it in the first place. 5
Sa. Anyone wondering why HRK has been starting rather than a recognised striker in Sa need look no further than that match. Looked disinterested on the few times he got into the game. 4

Subs:

Ferdinand. Real class and a very good presence alongside Cooper. 7.5
McCleary. Back to his best, still needs to work to get more consistency in his crossing but excellent otherwise. 7.5
HRK. Gave balance to the attack and worked very hard particularly when he won a free kick against four players. 7

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 02 Jan 2016 19:32

Gunter had a good second half, especially when McCleary came on. Put in a couple of dangerous balls and nearly scored himself.

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 02 Jan 2016 19:37

Quick summary

Generally a poor performance, certainly didn't play any better than Monday. Difference being Brentford scored 2 quality goals, BC wouldn't have scored if we were still playing now.

Vydra - You know he's a quality player, just get th impression his heart isn't really in it. On loan, would rather be somewhere else.

McCleary is our best player, has been for about 3 years. Can't afford to have him on the bench.

Sa. Absolute lump. C'ya.

We have decent players, but we are just not a team. Going nowhere until we put that right, but that's not easy and I doubt we will put it right. Its one thing you have to have at this level.

Last min winner. Welcome back Brian.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 02 Jan 2016 19:42

Wow! A decent cross for once, probably Gunter's first since Birmingham away a couple of years ago. He's obviously learned something from the many times he watches the opposition Left Winger cross the ball.

TFF
Hob Nob Addict

by TFF » 02 Jan 2016 19:44

Not a great game but a great result.

I'm very much in Vydra's camp now. Good workrate, highlighted by the goal, and being in the right place to finish chances off. We've not been creating those chances of late. The goals will come.

What went on after? Stewards held us up in the car park because the away fans were being a bit naughty

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal_jimmy » 02 Jan 2016 19:52

Poor game which I thought we just about deserved to win. I thought both sides looked poor until Mccleary and HRK came on.

The group of Bristol City fans not giving the ball back to Norwood in the 1st half then mouthing off after we scored and trying to get into our end was a disgrace. Whoever thinks they deserved anything today is deluded. Time wasting from start to finish.

Btw well played Jake Cooper. I hope he gets a run in the team now.

taipairoyal

by taipairoyal » 02 Jan 2016 20:00

Woeful first half, but more commitment in the second. Was really impressed with Vydras work rate although his finishing let him down, I really think he will come good. Blackman scored a peach but did nothing else all match, Williams picked up as the game progressed but the rest where mostly average except for MOTM Chris Gunter.
Sarr did nothing.

Steve_Upper_West

by Steve_Upper_West » 02 Jan 2016 20:06

Vydra gave 100% today whereas Blackman looked totally disinterested yet scored the goal and saved the day..... it's a funny old game :)

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 02 Jan 2016 20:07

Dr_Hfuhruhurr I thought their man up front up was pretty decent.

If he'd spent any time on-side he could have been a threat.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 02 Jan 2016 20:10

A pretty poor game that we really should've won at a canter despite not playing too well.

Vydra was such a menace and at the heart of almost all our good attacking play but he really needs to find his shooting boots sooner rather than later. We looked so much better with McLeary down the right and he has to have done enough to force his way into the starting lineup now even if that does mean McDermott has a bit of a conundrum as to how to use Blackman (who was pretty useless today expect for the all import goal).

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 02 Jan 2016 20:11

Sorry I missed it.

Great to see a team in a poor run keep it tight and plug away to the last minute. Do that and you'll pick up late goals and extra points. Nice to see McDermott's not lost that aspect of his game. Attacking substitutions and never say die.

With Vydra, if you're going to have a quality striker who's not scoring... it's good to have one who works hard and helps create for others. Bit of confidence and fluidity in the side again and I'm sure he'll come good. All we need is a few decent results strung together and we should shake the shit off and lift out of the mire.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 02 Jan 2016 20:21

Made such a difference having Quinn back in midfield. Up and down the whole game. Totes <3 him.

134 posts