Brian: The right decision?

3714 posts

Have the club done the right thing to sack Brian today?

Yes
51%
No
40%
Not sure
9%

Total votes: 568
Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Brian: The right decision?

by Extended-Phenotype » 30 Dec 2015 12:18

Ian Royal
Extended-Phenotype Thought the team selection was good, only qualm was HRK and Blackman being the wrong way round. Though tbh didn't Blackman score most/a lot of his goals this season from a wide position?

So even that decision isn't without reason. Still think Brian might be barking up the wrong tree there though.

It amazes me how many people don't know where Blacman was playing when good.

He was playing as a wide forward. Not central (mostly), not right wing / midfield. In a relatively free role between the lines with little defensive duty insude our half, all pressing high if any at all.

We should either play him there or not at all if there's an alternative. Maybe, just maybe off Sa / HRK whilst they lead a two man attack.

I think injuries and form has kinda pushed both SC and Brian into asking a bit more from Blackman, I.E. play a bit wider as a more conventional winger and still hoping he'd chip in with goals like he did as a wide forward. It hasn't really worked.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 30 Dec 2015 12:33

I think injuries were responsible for Blackman getting in the team in the first place.

I don't think Clarke had any real intention of Blackman being a part of this side over the summer rebuild, he just got on a hot streak after getting his chance whilst others were out.

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 30 Dec 2015 14:30

Not really anything to do with the point I was making.

Shit has happened to the team since Blackman scoring for fun in a 4-3-3. Two managers have needed to ask more of him since then and he's gone quiet.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 30 Dec 2015 15:33

Extended-Phenotype Not really anything to do with the point I was making.

Shit has happened to the team since Blackman scoring for fun in a 4-3-3. Two managers have needed to ask more of him since then and he's gone quiet.

Under Clarke, the problem was more elsewhere in the team with the huge weakness of playing 4 rather than 3 attackers by accomodating Piazon in midfield where Quinn was playing, or at left wing. He could have carried on just sliding in Tish, or later Fernandez, when Quinn got injured.

Likewise, McDermott could have left Blackman as a right forward rather than reverting to 4-4-2 and used Hector or Fernandez in midfield. I'm not really surprised by McDermott's decisions. But in terms of Blackman at least, they haven't been forced on him and he clearly has alternatives more suited to conventional wing play for the right hand side, like McCleary and Hurtado.

Longhorn1970
Hob Nob Regular

by Longhorn1970 » 30 Dec 2015 17:36

Hoop Blah I think injuries were responsible for Blackman getting in the team in the first place.

I don't think Clarke had any real intention of Blackman being a part of this side over the summer rebuild, he just got on a hot streak after getting his chance whilst others were out.

I don't recall anyone coming in for him during the summer & if SC doesn't fancy someone he'll soon get them out on loan as we've seen ..

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 30 Dec 2015 18:58

Ian Royal
Extended-Phenotype Not really anything to do with the point I was making.

Under Clarke, the problem was more elsewhere in the team with the huge weakness of playing 4 rather than 3 attackers by accomodating Piazon in midfield where Quinn was playing, or at left wing. He could have carried on just sliding in Tish, or later Fernandez, when Quinn got injured.

Likewise, McDermott could have left Blackman as a right forward rather than reverting to 4-4-2 and used Hector or Fernandez in midfield. I'm not really surprised by McDermott's decisions. But in terms of Blackman at least, they haven't been forced on him and he clearly has alternatives more suited to conventional wing play for the right hand side, like McCleary and Hurtado.

Obviously Brian (and Clarke) thinks Blackman adapting to a slightly wider role >>>> Fernandez in midfield >>>>>> Blackman not playing at all

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 30 Dec 2015 20:21

Longhorn1970
Hoop Blah I think injuries were responsible for Blackman getting in the team in the first place.

I don't recall anyone coming in for him during the summer & if SC doesn't fancy someone he'll soon get them out on loan as we've seen ..

You have to have someone interested and willing to cough up the necessary money to either buy or take a player on loan, and Blackman won't be on peanuts for the level of clubs who'd have been interested in him (remember he was signed when we were a Premier League club).

Blackman hardly got a look in last season under Clarke. We then what, 5 or 6 players who would directly or indirectly be challenging Blackman for a place in the side. If they'd all been signed, fit and available then I don't think Blackman would've been handed the chance that he took (his goal on the opening day at Birmingham probably bought him a bit of time and then his brace at Brentford really got him on the run that now makes people think he's half decent).

Longhorn1970
Hob Nob Regular

by Longhorn1970 » 30 Dec 2015 21:09

Hoop Blah
Longhorn1970

You have to have someone interested and willing to cough up the necessary money to either buy or take a player on loan, and Blackman won't be on peanuts for the level of clubs who'd have been interested in him (remember he was signed when we were a Premier League club).

Blackman hardly got a look in last season under Clarke. We then what, 5 or 6 players who would directly or indirectly be challenging Blackman for a place in the side. If they'd all been signed, fit and available then I don't think Blackman would've been handed the chance that he took (his goal on the opening day at Birmingham probably bought him a bit of time and then his brace at Brentford really got him on the run that now makes people think he's half decent).

We can all speculate but he sure has something which to my mind made him the best player in the championship for a while, clubs will be monitoring him as he looks a threat from dead ball and around the box which has a price tag ...

blueroyals
Hob Nob Regular

by blueroyals » 05 Jan 2016 22:25

Get appointed, lose 4 of your first 6 games, play your top scorer on the wing, play HRK as a striker (even though he's not scored a league goal in over a year), sell your top scorer.

Brian McDonut everybody

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 05 Jan 2016 22:33

blueroyals Get appointed, lose 4 of your first 6 games, play your top scorer on the wing, play HRK as a striker (even though he's not scored a league goal in over a year), sell your top scorer.

Brian McDonut everybody

Strange, I only recall us losing 2 games under him.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 05 Jan 2016 22:34

blueroyals Get appointed, lose 4 of your first 6 games, play your top scorer on the wing, play HRK as a striker (even though he's not scored a league goal in over a year), sell your top scorer.

Brian McDonut everybody

BMac's first game in charge was v Blackburn, so he's had 4 games in charge, winning two.

So I'm not overly convinced that it's him who's the sugar-sprinkled comestible.

blueroyals
Hob Nob Regular

by blueroyals » 05 Jan 2016 22:35

Forgot about Kuhl :oops: :oops:

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 27 May 2016 11:56

Absolutely shocking decision

pwb

by pwb » 27 May 2016 12:33

They should nether have taken him back in the first place, that's just taken more money away from the transfer kitty, now they have to pay up his contract.

Winston Smith
Hob Nob Addict

by Winston Smith » 27 May 2016 13:33

pwb now they have to pay up his contract.

You have seen that confirmed as fact or are just making a wild assumption?

My understanding is that most clubs insert a clause into managers contracts to say if sacked they will pay x number of months so as to avoid paying up the contract

windermere_royal
Hob Nob Regular

by windermere_royal » 27 May 2016 14:49

Right last time, and right this time

RoyallyFcuked
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyallyFcuked » 27 May 2016 14:53

windermere_royal Right last time, and right this time

+1

At least it gave all the fanboys the chance to moan and bump this dinosaur of a thread and moan some more.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 27 May 2016 14:54

Go on then fellas, who next?

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 27 May 2016 16:00

RoyallyFcuked
windermere_royal Right last time, and right this time

+1

At least it gave all the fanboys the chance to moan and bump this dinosaur of a thread and moan some more.

I'd have gone with "behemoth of a thread" TBH

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 12 Jan 2022 14:57

bump

3714 posts