Green Park Match Day Parking

250 posts
Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Green Park Match Day Parking

by Maneki Neko » 04 Mar 2016 10:11

RoyalBlue
Hoop Blah I usually park on Green Park if I drive (most games these days) and if they clamp down on no parking there I can see it being the final nail in my season tickets coffin.

I could substitute my drive for public transport, probably a train and then a bus, but it will mean my 25 minute drive will become the best part of a 90 minute journey to ensure I get there on time. It was also cost me an extra £5-£10 a game and mean I'm out of the house for an extra 2 hours.

I don't blame the club for it, but I can't see me being arsed with that extra time, effort, inconvenience and cost.

Pretty much sums up my view. For many nowadays, time is an even more precious commodity than money. When I have just watched another serving of dross on the pitch, I am far more upset that I have wasted another 5+ hours of my life than I am about the money I spent on my match/season ticket, parking etc. Losing a couple more hours using public transport or trying to hunt down parking would probably be the tipping point.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 04 Mar 2016 10:14

the bus from farnboro that goes through crowthorne costs less than the petrol OR car parking, takes you right to the door, and gets you home at about the same time as driving.

alternatively, get a godson, pay 25 quid for his season ticket and get a lift off his parents for the entire season.

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 04 Mar 2016 10:22

CountryRoyal I hate the poor.

Bad experience CountryRoyal?

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 04 Mar 2016 11:17

Maneki Neko the bus from farnboro that goes through crowthorne costs less than the petrol OR car parking, takes you right to the door, and gets you home at about the same time as driving.

That's all well and good but my drive is only about 10/12 miles, give or take, and takes me no time and costs me nothing in my company car driving to the free parking I take advantage of.

It'll cost me probably an extra 2/3 hours by public transport and that'll no doubt mean I'll end up going even earlier to make the most of not driving. Those aren't probably typical circumstances though, but judging by the number of cars queuing to get out of the various car parks there are plenty of other fans that prefer to drive to games.

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 04 Mar 2016 11:20

The Mereoak P&R .... How late do the buses run?

I am usually one of the last out of the stadium (just poor luck on my seat), so am screwed if there are only a couple of buses and they don't run long after final whistle.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 04 Mar 2016 11:32

Hoop Blah
Maneki Neko the bus from farnboro that goes through crowthorne costs less than the petrol OR car parking, takes you right to the door, and gets you home at about the same time as driving.

That's all well and good but my drive is only about 10/12 miles, give or take, and takes me no time and costs me nothing in my company car driving to the free parking I take advantage of.

It'll cost me probably an extra 2/3 hours by public transport and that'll no doubt mean I'll end up going even earlier to make the most of not driving. Those aren't probably typical circumstances though, but judging by the number of cars queuing to get out of the various car parks there are plenty of other fans that prefer to drive to games.

3 hours? for a 12 mile journey

Hyper bowl

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 04 Mar 2016 11:58

Maneki Neko
Hoop Blah

Hyper bowl

90 minutes each way, probably longer getting home due to the queues. It's an infrequent rural train service to Reading Central in time to get a bus to the ground, then the same back. Easily 3+ hours and I'd have to leave my house at least an hour earlier than I do if I drive.

Like I said, my circumstances are probably outside of the norm, and I don't blame the club as such, but the loss of my parking options could well be the end of my season ticket as it becomes too much time and effort to attend regularly.

East Grinstead Royal

by East Grinstead Royal » 04 Mar 2016 12:44

The company I work for has an office in Green Park and I have been parking there on match days since about 2003. I have a company car park sticker and my security pass with my photo on, but both are deliberately anonymous (i.e. no company name or logo) so it will be interesting to see what the security guys have to say - I will have to remember to take my pass with me!

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 04 Mar 2016 12:46

I don't get it Hoop, if you're parking for free you're presumably not using any of the spaces that are going that have anything even vaguely related to the club... so how are you affected?

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 04 Mar 2016 12:53

Ian Royal I don't get it Hoop, if you're parking for free you're presumably not using any of the spaces that are going that have anything even vaguely related to the club... so how are you affected?

Because, as I've read it, Green Park are clamping down on fans using the business park as alternative parking.

FWI, I don't think it will actually result in the park being as locked down as suggested.

Yellowcoat

by Yellowcoat » 04 Mar 2016 13:14

I see that there have been a few extra buses added already on some of the Reading Buses & Stagecoach routes so improvements are being made. Not that that will concern the moaners and self entitled.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 04 Mar 2016 13:36

Hoop Blah
Ian Royal I don't get it Hoop, if you're parking for free you're presumably not using any of the spaces that are going that have anything even vaguely related to the club... so how are you affected?

Because, as I've read it, Green Park are clamping down on fans using the business park as alternative parking.

FWI, I don't think it will actually result in the park being as locked down as suggested.

From conversations I have been hearing Hoop Blah is not far off the mark. Tomorrow and moving forward it will be like it was 2 years ago with a 4x4 parked up on the road, he will walk out and wave at you, you explain and then wave you through. Still doing Mereoak tomorrow though as a trial run!!

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 04 Mar 2016 13:36

On the occasions I don't get a bus/taxi to the ground we always park up at the stadium car park no problems. Yes it takes you 30 mins + to get out but always the option of going to the hotel/jazz cafe anyway. Worth remembering 1 in 4 ST holders don't attend so the crowd size is never as high as reported.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 04 Mar 2016 13:53

Hoop Blah
Maneki Neko
Hoop Blah

Hyper bowl

90 minutes each way, probably longer getting home due to the queues. It's an infrequent rural train service to Reading Central in time to get a bus to the ground, then the same back. Easily 3+ hours and I'd have to leave my house at least an hour earlier than I do if I drive.

Like I said, my circumstances are probably outside of the norm, and I don't blame the club as such, but the loss of my parking options could well be the end of my season ticket as it becomes too much time and effort to attend regularly.

or park and ride and add just half an hour to your journey

calm down to a panic, im sure the club are, as we speak, working tirelessly to provide alternative options

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 04 Mar 2016 14:13

I'm not panicking at all, just telling it as it is. Any further reason to ditch my season ticket may just be the straw that breaks the camels back.

As for using a Park & Ride, I can't see that just adding half an hour to the amount of time I spend out of my weekend getting to and from a game.

I'm sure the club are working as hard as they can to sort some alternatives out as it sounds like they'll appreciate the effect it could have on attendances more than you. Just to reiterate though, I don't blame the club or hold them accountable for my parking options. It's just the reality of my situation (and I'm sure others) that it may well tip me over the edge at a time when there are plenty of other demands on my weekend leisure time.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 04 Mar 2016 14:29

As for using a Park & Ride, I can't see that just adding half an hour to the amount of time I spend out of my weekend getting to and from a game.

this and your 3 hours to do 12 miles claim make it sound like you live in some parallel universe of travel

it sounds like you already h8 going to football.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 04 Mar 2016 14:37

90 minutes each way brendy. I have to get there AND back.

I don't enjoy football in this day and age half as much as I used to 20 years ago no, and I have more demands on my time than I did back then too. I don't hate it, but I find it more and more difficult to justify the time and expense these days. I know I'm not alone in that extent unfortunately.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 04 Mar 2016 14:45

Hoop Blah 90 minutes each way brendy. I have to get there AND back.

I don't enjoy football in this day and age half as much as I used to 20 years ago no, and I have more demands on my time than I did back then too. I don't hate it, but I find it more and more difficult to justify the time and expense these days. I know I'm not alone in that extent unfortunately.

people will always get old, and their priorities will always change.

apologies for haranguing you.
just fancied it, and I have found it mildly entertaining.
its appreciated.

Sonic

by Sonic » 04 Mar 2016 18:45

The club could help by improving signage for the buses around the stadium. A lot could be done to make the surrounds of the stadium look like they were designed for mass public transport rather than it appearing as an afterthought. After every game I see people asking the stewards where to catch the buses from. Also some real time information would be helpful, especially for those who don't want to miss the end of the game just to catch the first wave of buses

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 04 Mar 2016 18:59

Maneki Neko
Hoop Blah

Hyper bowl

60-90 minutes extra each way ? Quite possible if you don't live close to a decent public transport route and/or have to change buses. I live on the outskirts of London and my 10 mile journey to work would take at least an hour more by public transport even assuming all the connections worked out well.

And whilst some supporters don't appear to care if parking difficulties put people off attending matches the club should.

250 posts