Worried Supporters.

141 posts
sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Worried Supporters.

by sandman » 02 May 2016 23:23

Not sure why you've started to talk shit about Al Habsi there Top Flight Dave. Cooper has been pretty poor since he became a regular in the team and the only reason he's in the team is because we've been safe for a while and Brian wants to give him the experience before next season.

But then you are a troll so we know you aren't really being serious.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 02 May 2016 23:38

Its not only Cooper that has been poor. The whole team has been poor.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 02 May 2016 23:45

"Super Vydra" :lol:

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 02 May 2016 23:54

In that Super Vydra thread, I praised Vydra for winning us the game against Bristol City. He chased a lost ball in the last minute and set us on our way to scoring the last ditch goal. I was especially happy with him as I had a bet on us winning that game and he won me my bet.

I thought Vydra deserved some praise as he had been getting a lot of flak. But he gave 100% and desperately wanted to do well.

You will him to do badly. I prefer to support our players and will them to do well. This summer Brian will make his judgment on him and we'll have different strikers leading the line for us next season. I hope we support them alot better than we did Vydra.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 03 May 2016 09:29

Lower West
howser I feel a bit for Cooper, I am not sure anyone saw him being a first team regular for most of the season, in all honesty he has been slung in at the deep end, should have really played a few games then had a rest for a few, likely a bit overwhelming for a young lad to come into a struggling side without it having an effect on his own performances.

Took Shorey time to adapt after his transfer from Orient. Constantly caught out of position. More games Cooper plays. The quicker he'll develop.

Also much like Shane Long he's not been out on loan so we're seeing the raw mistakes that inexperienced players make happen with us.

I'm not sure he's quite got what it takes to make it at top Championship level but he does have a lot of assets which suggest he could.

If his basic errors are simply inexperience then he's worth perseverance and will come good for us , but if it's a basic weakness in his mental character and overall game then we'll have to find out the hard way.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 03 May 2016 10:26

Vision
Lower West
howser I feel a bit for Cooper, I am not sure anyone saw him being a first team regular for most of the season, in all honesty he has been slung in at the deep end, should have really played a few games then had a rest for a few, likely a bit overwhelming for a young lad to come into a struggling side without it having an effect on his own performances.

Took Shorey time to adapt after his transfer from Orient. Constantly caught out of position. More games Cooper plays. The quicker he'll develop.

Also much like Shane Long he's not been out on loan so we're seeing the raw mistakes that inexperienced players make happen with us.

I'm not sure he's quite got what it takes to make it at top Championship level but he does have a lot of assets which suggest he could.

If his basic errors are simply inexperience then he's worth perseverance and will come good for us , but if it's a basic weakness in his mental character and overall game then we'll have to find out the hard way.

I worry that it's his physique.. he's just rather gangly and whilst that works for some players (Crouch) I think it makes him a bit awkward and uncoordinated at times.

Loads of time to get better, but I don't want him automatic first choice next season as he is at the moment.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 03 May 2016 10:44

Ian Royal
Vision
Lower West

I worry that it's his physique.. he's just rather gangly and whilst that works for some players (Crouch) I think it makes him a bit awkward and uncoordinated at times.

Loads of time to get better, but I don't want him automatic first choice next season as he is at the moment.

With experience Crouch made it work for him or adapted to it. Cooper hasn't had that time yet.

Of course Crouch also is a very technically gifted footballer who just physically is a little different. Cooper obviously isn't in that class technically but that doesn't mean he can't from a defensive standpoint adapt his body position (and indeed positional awareness) to sort this out.

There is enough in his game to see why we're investing time in him but it's a pretty unforgiving arena at present.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 03 May 2016 11:01

Vision
Ian Royal
Vision

With experience Crouch made it work for him or adapted to it. Cooper hasn't had that time yet.

Of course Crouch also is a very technically gifted footballer who just physically is a little different. Cooper obviously isn't in that class technically but that doesn't mean he can't from a defensive standpoint adapt his body position (and indeed positional awareness) to sort this out.

There is enough in his game to see why we're investing time in him but it's a pretty unforgiving arena at present.

I think Cooper can be part of a very strong defensive unit. But he needs a midfield in front that will protect the defense properly and a forward line that defends from the front. The keeper behind him is a goal line keeper and doesn't command his area which ends up making Cooper and McShane look really bad. Just look again at the QPR highlights from minute 1:50 onwards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSFYaS0CCH8

This sums up Al Habsi for me. Yes Cooper doesn't clear it properly he shoots it up in the air. But why does Al Habsi stay rooted to his goal line? Why can't he just step out 2 yards and collect the ball and bail out his defence? Instead he just stays on his goal line allowing Polter a free header just 3 yards out.

I don't remember seeing Al Habsi ever bravely coming off his goal line and diving at anyones feet to avert danger. He is not brave at all.

Look at the way Kaspar Schmeichal came dashing out of his penalty box to save Danny Simpson when he made a poor pass on Sunday against United. If Al Habsi was in goal he would have stayed in his box. Then either Simpson would have brought down Lindgaard and got his marching orders or Lindgaard would have raced through to score or Simpson may have dragged him down in the box. Thanks to proper goalkeeping from Kaspar Leicester won another point.

Al Habsi is a good shot stopper and he is good on his goal line. Only Huerlho Gomes and Dave Seaman have saved more penalties than him in the Premier League. But the rest of his game is terrible. Poor judgement, no bravery and no command of his box. It just shows how dire Reading have been this season that a goal keeper that was making mistakes regularly in the first half of the season and is a poor all round goalkeeper can win player of the season. We have been absolutely awful this year.

He is indecisive as well. Against Preston, does he come to Beckford or does he stay on his line. Again bad judgement, indecision, McShane doesn't know if Al Habsi is coming or staying on his line, another goal conceded another defeat. And this is what we get from our player of the season.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 03 May 2016 11:19

There's a difference between being patient, accepting mistakes will happen with young players and completely mollycoddling them.

I'm sure if De Gea was behind him, Kompany alongside him and Kante in front of him we'd see less obvious mistakes but sadly that's not going to be his experience.

He needs to adapt to his situation, which is what the better players do. They learn from their mistakes and they adapt. If they can't then it's doubtful they're going to cut it at this level.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 03 May 2016 11:36

It's a team game. If Kompany was in our defence instead of Cooper, he'd look useless as well. The team have been abysmal recently. Not a team at all.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 03 May 2016 11:44

Top Flight It's a team game. If Kompany was in our defence instead of Cooper, he'd look useless as well. The team have been abysmal recently. Not a team at all.

He really wouldn't.

From the man who's been describing Vydra as fantastic all season.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 03 May 2016 11:48

I think the main problem with regards to Cooper is team disorganisation. Maybe McDermott can be blamed for that as he is the man responsible for getting us organised. But, to me, it looks like a badly organised team. That comes from bad coaching, and especially from a bunch of players that have a bad attitude and just don't care or don't want to be coached.

McDermott really has a lot of work to do in the coming months because we are a complete mess at the moment. I'm sure there are multiple factors. But Preston had so much time to work passes through our defence all day on Saturday. The midfield were not really helping the defence and Cooper and McShane were always getting exposed. That comes from poor team work and total lack of organisation. I think the main reason for that is just that the players don't care anymore. The season is over, the Euros are coming. Most of them will be off in the next few weeks. Why should they care?

I don't think it helps either when the goalkeeper is indecisive, not brave, has poor judgement and no presence. Several things can all come together and the blame falls on Cooper. He is targeted for blame more because McShane is older and more experienced and we know that he has proven himself. Cooper still has to prove himself, so we think that Cooper must be the problem then. It can't be the experienced McShane. Anyway, McShane isn't the problem either. Most of the problem comes from poor defensive protection from midfield and poor goalkeeping. Our team organisation is bad. That leaves Cooper and McShane badly exposed.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 03 May 2016 11:56

Vision
Top Flight It's a team game. If Kompany was in our defence instead of Cooper, he'd look useless as well. The team have been abysmal recently. Not a team at all.

He really wouldn't.

From the man who's been describing Vydra as fantastic all season.

That's not quite right Vision. The attacks on Vydra were way over the top. Vydra, individually was getting far too much of the blame. It was not deserved. His work rate and effort were always really good and he played well most of the time. I was hoping, like you were that Vydra would come good and start scoring. I didn't want to criticise him unfairly. I prefer to support our players.

He was getting massively attacked because he wasn't scoring the goals to justify his cost but he was giving 100% and trying desperately hard every time he pulled on the shirt. His cost is Clarke, Hammond and Howe's fault, not Vydra's. He was measured against a different set of criteria than Cox for example. Even though Cox looks really sh*te and never looks like he is ever going to score he doesn't get any criticism at all. At least when Vydra played, we looked like we could win the game and good chances were getting created. It's a shame he couldn't put enough of them away.

Now the finger is getting pointed at Cooper and again I think that is very unfair. He is a talented youngster and with Reading players as team mates who needs opponents.

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 03 May 2016 11:58

Top Flight
Vision
Ian Royal I worry that it's his physique.. he's just rather gangly and whilst that works for some players (Crouch) I think it makes him a bit awkward and uncoordinated at times.

I think Cooper can be part of a very strong defensive unit. But he needs a midfield in front that will protect the defense properly and a forward line that defends from the front. The keeper behind him is a goal line keeper and doesn't command his area which ends up making Cooper and McShane look really bad. Just look again at the QPR highlights from minute 1:50 onwards.

This sums up Al Habsi for me. Yes Cooper doesn't clear it properly he shoots it up in the air. But why does Al Habsi stay rooted to his goal line? Why can't he just step out 2 yards and collect the ball and bail out his defence? Instead he just stays on his goal line allowing Polter a free header just 3 yards out.

I don't remember seeing Al Habsi ever bravely coming off his goal line and diving at anyones feet to avert danger. He is not brave at all.

Look at the way Kaspar Schmeichal came dashing out of his penalty box to save Danny Simpson when he made a poor pass on Sunday against United. If Al Habsi was in goal he would have stayed in his box. Then either Simpson would have brought down Lindgaard and got his marching orders or Lindgaard would have raced through to score or Simpson may have dragged him down in the box. Thanks to proper goalkeeping from Kaspar Leicester won another point.

Al Habsi is a good shot stopper and he is good on his goal line. Only Huerlho Gomes and Dave Seaman have saved more penalties than him in the Premier League. But the rest of his game is terrible. Poor judgement, no bravery and no command of his box. It just shows how dire Reading have been this season that a goal keeper that was making mistakes regularly in the first half of the season and is a poor all round goalkeeper can win player of the season. We have been absolutely awful this year.

He is indecisive as well. Against Preston, does he come to Beckford or does he stay on his line. Again bad judgement, indecision, McShane doesn't know if Al Habsi is coming or staying on his line, another goal conceded another defeat. And this is what we get from our player of the season.

Tbf if you look at the incident in the QPR game again you'll see quite clearly that Al Habsi doesn't come for it because he can't see it due to the sun being in his eyes. He clearly explains that to the defenders. Maybe you think he should have burned his eyes out in a flailing attempt to something or other.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 03 May 2016 12:04

Anyway, regarding Vydra, he is a number two striker, not a number one. His goal return isn't that bad for a number two striker. A number two's main role is to play off the number one and create chances which Vydra was brilliant at. The number one should be banging them in. A number one should be getting 20 to 25 goals a season and a number 2 between 10 and 15. I don't think Vydra is all that far off those numbers and he has been creating chances and stretching defences all season.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 03 May 2016 12:07

Vision With experience Crouch made it work for him or adapted to it. Cooper hasn't had that time yet.

Also in Crouch's favour was that he's an attacking player. Attacking players can make more mistakes than a defender without it being as much of a weakness.

By the very nature of the position a defender needs to be consistent and minimise their mistakes. An attacker can try things, take more risks and make more mistakes without it coming back to bite them quite as much.

I've never been that convinced by Cooper. Like Hector, he's had his good games but something about them both just seems a bit off to for a reliable and consistent centre half at this level.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 03 May 2016 12:09

Norfolk Royal
Top Flight
Vision

Tbf if you look at the incident in the QPR game again you'll see quite clearly that Al Habsi doesn't come for it because he can't see it due to the sun being in his eyes. He clearly explains that to the defenders. Maybe you think he should have burned his eyes out in a flailing attempt to something or other.

Well this comes down to his lack of bravery doesn't it. Marcus Hahnemann dealt with the sunshine by wearing a baseball cap. So did Chris Kirkland on Saturday. So was Al Habsi unprepared? Didn't come into work with the right tools for the job. That's just incompetent.

I have not seen Al Habsi dive at anyones feet this season. Have you? Federici was always diving at peoples feet. Al Habsi is not brave, he is a spectacular goal line keeper. He looks good in photos, wins player of the season, but we lose every week.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 03 May 2016 12:13

Hoop Blah
Vision With experience Crouch made it work for him or adapted to it. Cooper hasn't had that time yet.

Also in Crouch's favour was that he's an attacking player. Attacking players can make more mistakes than a defender without it being as much of a weakness.

By the very nature of the position a defender needs to be consistent and minimise their mistakes. An attacker can try things, take more risks and make more mistakes without it coming back to bite them quite as much.

I've never been that convinced by Cooper. Like Hector, he's had his good games but something about them both just seems a bit off to for a reliable and consistent centre half at this level.

I agree with you Hoop Blah, in that it does look unconvincing. He looks a bit unreliable. But I also think the team has been badly organised lately when Cooper has looked his worst. When the team regroups and gets properly organised, I could see Cooper being part of a really strong defensive unit. But maybe McDermott has to look at his coaching staff as well. Does he need a Wally Downes defensive coach? Is Reid up to the job? I can't put my finger on the exact reasons. But we can all see the problems. I'm not sure it is entirely Coopers fault.

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 03 May 2016 12:24

Federici was always diving at people's feet yes, usually about a second after they had dinked it over him into the net.

Agree with you on the Al Habsi point, he should have been wearing a cap yes.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 03 May 2016 12:31

Top Flight
Norfolk Royal
Top Flight

Well this comes down to his lack of bravery doesn't it. Marcus Hahnemann dealt with the sunshine by wearing a baseball cap. So did Chris Kirkland on Saturday. So was Al Habsi unprepared? Didn't come into work with the right tools for the job. That's just incompetent.

I have not seen Al Habsi dive at anyones feet this season. Have you? Federici was always diving at peoples feet. Al Habsi is not brave, he is a spectacular goal line keeper. He looks good in photos, wins player of the season, but we lose every week.

Make up your mind. 5 minutes ago it was a team game, now it's down to Al-Habsi.

141 posts