leon
Hob Nob Legend

Re: McDermott Sacked (AGAIN)

by leon » 31 May 2016 23:42

under the tin
Nomad_Royal
under the tin
Excellent, Denver.

Nope not excellent...if only for the statement underlined. Bringing in any manager and then firing them after just 5 months, even with the results achieved really would invite ridicule and anger, disbelief and prompt concerns about the decision making at a club from any fan. Add in to this the fact that the manager sacked is only the second ever to have obtained premiership status for the club and the outcry here is justifiable.

For some of the people on this board who support this decision not to at least acknowledge that it points to something seriously amiss at the club beggars belief.

Spectacularly missing the point.
Denver's is purely about all the fuss because it's Brian.
And what he did years ago has no bearing on what he is doing today. My father in law passed his driving test nearly 65 years ago. Does that make him a good driver today? Believe me, he scares the sh1t out of me when driving.

Jesus Christ. I'm glad you've started posting.

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 01 Jun 2016 08:36

Ignoring the shit driving test analogy which would put Brian in charge of Reading in back in 1951, what exactly is the shock that a manager who has worked here and had success here before, is liked more than a stranger who hasn't?

Mr New Bloke comes in and struggles over 5 months - nobody sensible would have him out the door but of course few tears will be shed as he's achieved little for us in total and we hardly know the geezer.

Like it or not, Brian did have some major success with us before, only a few years ago, that gives him better standing than anybody else. Of course people are going to be sadder to see a hero sacked unfairly than a new guy hardly here long enough to know his last name.

What is Denver going to point out next, that we wouldn't be crying if Piers Morgan was fired as our manager?

Silverfox

by Silverfox » 01 Jun 2016 08:59

I'm the real SilverFox,
Beware of imitations!!!
Brian's gone get over it and move on!

Nomad_Royal

by Nomad_Royal » 01 Jun 2016 09:06

under the tin
Nomad_Royal
under the tin
Excellent, Denver.

Nope not excellent...if only for the statement underlined. Bringing in any manager and then firing them after just 5 months, even with the results achieved really would invite ridicule and anger, disbelief and prompt concerns about the decision making at a club from any fan. Add in to this the fact that the manager sacked is only the second ever to have obtained premiership status for the club and the outcry here is justifiable.

For some of the people on this board who support this decision not to at least acknowledge that it points to something seriously amiss at the club beggars belief.

And what he did years ago has no bearing on what he is doing today. My father in law passed his driving test nearly 65 years ago. Does that make him a good driver today? Believe me, he scares the sh1t out of me when driving.

Not as spectacularly as you .

Try to focus....Denver claimed that the fuss over this is only because it was Brian who was sacked....I don't think that is true or at least is not the only reason. The point I was making is I think a lot of the anger and concern is that the decision is showing an increasingly knee jerk tendency from the owners. There seems no overall plan on how they are going to achieve the aim of premiership football, they chop and change managers, agree to the destruction of what had been a very successful backroom staff at the end of last season, and loose a highly respected DoF. All this indicates something very wrong at the top of the club.

Oh and as for the totally rubbish analogy with your father in laws driving :D :D

under the tin

by under the tin » 01 Jun 2016 09:55

Nomad_Royal Try to focus....Denver claimed that the fuss over this is only because it was Brian who was sacked....I don't think that is true or at least is not the only reason. The point I was making is I think a lot of the anger and concern is that the decision is showing an increasingly knee jerk tendency from the owners. There seems no overall plan on how they are going to achieve the aim of premiership football, they chop and change managers, agree to the destruction of what had been a very successful backroom staff at the end of last season, and loose a highly respected DoF. All this indicates something very wrong at the top of the club.

Oh and as for the totally rubbish analogy with your father in laws driving :D :D

If you read the slightly earlier post of mine, you will see that I agree with you :wink:
What I'm trying to get across is that, in my view, since the last ball was kicked in the Championship-winning season, nobody has been given a fair crack of the whip. It's a particular sort of foreign owner thing. The Mansoors chop and change, and demand on pitch success, but at least they have the finances to back their managerial choice. We appear to have the Cellino/Venky version here at RFC.
This what our club is now. Totally a results-based (dis)organisation. Brian's sacking was inevitable, and he a) alluded to this in one of his last interviews, and b) didn't come across as being that bothered if the Thais pulled the trigger.
Perhaps he had come to the same conclusion as Clarke did. The job is a poisoned chalice.

tulip
Hob Nob Addict

by tulip » 01 Jun 2016 11:23

Just wondering how I became the topic starter of this thread?

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 01 Jun 2016 11:58

Nomad_Royal
under the tin
Nomad_Royal

Try to focus....Denver claimed that the fuss over this is only because it was Brian who was sacked....I don't think that is true or at least is not the only reason. The point I was making is I think a lot of the anger and concern is that the decision is showing an increasingly knee jerk tendency from the owners. There seems no overall plan on how they are going to achieve the aim of premiership football, they chop and change managers, agree to the destruction of what had been a very successful backroom staff at the end of last season, and loose a highly respected DoF. All this indicates something very wrong at the top of the club.

Playing Devil's advocate a bit, I do think there's some truth in the possibility that they've spent the last 18 months acting on the advice of Howe/Hammond and to lesser degree Madejski on football matters but find themselves further away from the stated goal of promotion than when they arrived.

Now they've set the ball rolling on REP it may well be that they are going to take control of football decisions too. If they appoint totally their own man then perhaps they will be prepared to give him more time to come up with the goods and it could spell the end of the knee jerk managerial merry go round.

It's not going to be the Reading Way of old but you can't blame the Thais for that disappearing. That went the moment we sacked McDermott first time around. However there still could be a way of moving forward taking some of those values with us but combining it with the way the football World has moved in the last 4/5 years.

Truth is none of us really know, however much of an expert we think we are. We will just have to wait and see.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 01 Jun 2016 13:04

In addition to my previous comments on this, please also bear in mind that Hill-Wood left the club, and there was no statement regarding it and Hammond left even before the end of the season - to me, they were jumping ship, things are not good at all behind the scenes, clearly. Maybe they did BM a favour by sacking him, who knows. What I do think, however, is that they have no regard for the club or the fans and will shit over anyone who gets in the way of what they want to do. I suspect Hill-Wood and Hammond wanted nothing to do with their future plans - hence leaving in such a hurry. :cry: I seriously do believe that we will be lucky to have Reading FC in a few years, it's not me being a drama queen, it's me realising that all that I thought when the Russian took over and then the Thais - they are not interested in football, they are in it for what they can make out of it - they'll never make anything out of the football club - they would happily build all over the Mad Stad if they could. Be very careful what you wish for. Time will tell if I am right, I sincerely hope I am completely wrong, but I have seen nothing in the last few years to sway me from my thoughts unfortunately.

If the Thais wanted Premier League football, saying there is no money this season for new players and we will have to rely on youth is not the way to go.

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 01 Jun 2016 13:28

Royal Lady In addition to my previous comments on this, please also bear in mind that Hill-Wood left the club, and there was no statement regarding it and Hammond left even before the end of the season - to me, they were jumping ship, things are not good at all behind the scenes, clearly. Maybe they did BM a favour by sacking him, who knows. What I do think, however, is that they have no regard for the club or the fans and will shit over anyone who gets in the way of what they want to do. I suspect Hill-Wood and Hammond wanted nothing to do with their future plans - hence leaving in such a hurry. :cry: I seriously do believe that we will be lucky to have Reading FC in a few years, it's not me being a drama queen, it's me realising that all that I thought when the Russian took over and then the Thais - they are not interested in football, they are in it for what they can make out of it - they'll never make anything out of the football club - they would happily build all over the Mad Stad if they could. Be very careful what you wish for. Time will tell if I am right, I sincerely hope I am completely wrong, but I have seen nothing in the last few years to sway me from my thoughts unfortunately.

If the Thais wanted Premier League football, saying there is no money this season for new players and we will have to rely on youth is not the way to go.

Have they actually said that we will have to rely on youth? Or is that a bit of reading between the lines?

As to Hill-Wood (I hadn't realised that he'd gone) and Hammond, it is possible that they went because the new way of running the club is not the 'Reading Way'. That doesn't, necessarily, mean that the new way is wrong though, maybe it just doesn't suit them?

The recent chain of events does concern me but I am willing to give them time to prove that this is a step on the way to improvement. What I am not doing is renewing my ST. Not a protest, I just can't justify spending that much on a ticket to leave my seat empty as often as I did this year - because I couldn't get motivated to drive an hour each way (from the Cotswolds) to watch turgid crap! I will just pay per game when I feel the urge to come.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 01 Jun 2016 13:30

Royal Lady In addition to my previous comments on this, please also bear in mind that Hill-Wood left the club, and there was no statement regarding it and Hammond left even before the end of the season - to me, they were jumping ship, things are not good at all behind the scenes, clearly. Maybe they did BM a favour by sacking him, who knows. What I do think, however, is that they have no regard for the club or the fans and will shit over anyone who gets in the way of what they want to do. I suspect Hill-Wood and Hammond wanted nothing to do with their future plans - hence leaving in such a hurry. :cry: I seriously do believe that we will be lucky to have Reading FC in a few years, it's not me being a drama queen, it's me realising that all that I thought when the Russian took over and then the Thais - they are not interested in football, they are in it for what they can make out of it - they'll never make anything out of the football club - they would happily build all over the Mad Stad if they could. Be very careful what you wish for. Time will tell if I am right, I sincerely hope I am completely wrong, but I have seen nothing in the last few years to sway me from my thoughts unfortunately.

LOL @ Hill-Wood ;-)

Actually I think there are major differences between Anton and the Thais. Anton absolutely was interested in football. He totally wanted a football club as his toy so he could play his real life game of Football manager. Trouble was his dad didn't indulge him and he didn't have the money to back up his fanciful plans. Bear in mind though all those fanciful plans were football related.

Our current owners on the other hand do have the business nous that Anton clearly lacked even if they don't necessarily have the innate passion and knowledge of the game that Anton had. Of course it's right that we're concerned but it doesn't necessarily follow that a prospering REP for the Thais means curtains for the football club. Sacking a manager with 2 years left on his contract isn't the first action for an ownership who couldn't give a toss about the football side. From a purely business point of view it's expensive and it costs them money.

It's easy to just chuck all Foreign Ownership into the same shitbucket but Anton and the Thais have two completely opposite M.O's.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 01 Jun 2016 13:38

Vision
Nomad_Royal
under the tin

Playing Devil's advocate a bit, I do think there's some truth in the possibility that they've spent the last 18 months acting on the advice of Howe/Hammond and to lesser degree Madejski on football matters but find themselves further away from the stated goal of promotion than when they arrived.

Now they've set the ball rolling on REP it may well be that they are going to take control of football decisions too. If they appoint totally their own man then perhaps they will be prepared to give him more time to come up with the goods and it could spell the end of the knee jerk managerial merry go round.

It's not going to be the Reading Way of old but you can't blame the Thais for that disappearing. That went the moment we sacked McDermott first time around. However there still could be a way of moving forward taking some of those values with us but combining it with the way the football World has moved in the last 4/5 years.

Truth is none of us really know, however much of an expert we think we are. We will just have to wait and see.

You're clutching a little bit at straws. You're trying to find some optimism in what really does look a gloomy state of affairs right now.
I really hope you're right. But the evidence that we see at the moment paints a bleak scenario. Maybe their intentions are good. But, they're competence and knowledge of how to successfully run a football team does not look good as evidenced by all their poor signings so far. A good manager should get around 50% of his signings right. So far the Thais seem to be getting 0% of their signings right.

In one news article, I think from Charles Watts, apparantly the Thais are close to Kia Joorabchian. I hope he is not advising them on how to run Reading FC. He will just sell them sh*te footballers and make loads of money as an agent. He is not someone the Thais should be confiding in for advise on which players will be good for the club. The way they are going about their business looks massively incompetent.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 01 Jun 2016 14:25

tulip Just wondering how I became the topic starter of this thread?
The person who started it was sacked after 5 months of poor threads.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 01 Jun 2016 15:27

Top Flight
Vision
Nomad_Royal

You're clutching a little bit at straws. You're trying to find some optimism in what really does look a gloomy state of affairs right now.
I really hope you're right. But the evidence that we see at the moment paints a bleak scenario. Maybe their intentions are good. But, they're competence and knowledge of how to successfully run a football team does not look good as evidenced by all their poor signings so far. A good manager should get around 50% of his signings right. So far the Thais seem to be getting 0% of their signings right.

In one news article, I think from Charles Watts, apparantly the Thais are close to Kia Joorabchian. I hope he is not advising them on how to run Reading FC. He will just sell them sh*te footballers and make loads of money as an agent. He is not someone the Thais should be confiding in for advise on which players will be good for the club. The way they are going about their business looks massively incompetent.

I'm not clutching at straws, I'm playing Devil's Advocate a bit as I said.

Another thing I'm not doing is being an absolute Drama Queen and instantly predicting the end of Reading Football Club simply because the man you were hopeful would take us to the dizzy heights of 21st has just been sacked.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 01 Jun 2016 16:32

Vision
Top Flight
Vision

I'm not clutching at straws, I'm playing Devil's Advocate a bit as I said.

Another thing I'm not doing is being an absolute Drama Queen and instantly predicting the end of Reading Football Club simply because the man you were hopeful would take us to the dizzy heights of 21st has just been sacked.

This issue is not only about Brian McDermott. It runs much deeper than that Vision. There are serious concerns about the direction that the Thais are taking us in and about their knowledge, experience and competence to run an English football club.

Longhorn1970
Hob Nob Regular

by Longhorn1970 » 01 Jun 2016 17:03

Top Flight
Vision
Nomad_Royal

What is up with you talking sense all of a sudden ! ... I heard this a while back and he was advising the owners which may explain some of Clarke's comments. Doesn't explain Trevendon's role in international recruitment unless Joorabchian got his marching orders ? Again silence from club doesn't help ..

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 01 Jun 2016 18:47

Joorabchian must be laughing all the way to the bank with the business he has conned the dumb Owners into signing off. Piazon, Vydra, Fernandez, John, Hurtado, Sa, Rakels..... I bet he made some juicy commissions.

(The above is pure speculation and not based on any knowledgeable fact. I bet there is some truth in there though)

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 02 Jun 2016 10:36

Nice sig x

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 02 Jun 2016 11:42

Lolz.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 02 Jun 2016 15:15

Steve Clarke to Villa as Di Matteo's assistant!! What a crazy world we live in!!

Villa Park should be a good one next season. Unbelievable Geoffrey!

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 02 Jun 2016 15:40

John Smith Steve Clarke to Villa as Di Matteo's assistant!! What a crazy world we live in!!

Villa Park should be a good one next season. Unbelievable Geoffrey!

Well, Clarke finally got that return to the Premier League he wanted.

Oh hold on....

565 posts