CONFIMRED - Jaap Stam

490 posts
Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Stamalamadingdong

by Norfolk Royal » 07 Jun 2016 10:47

Not sure whether you are or not but you've clearly got no idea how these stories get out there.

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Hobnob Prediction League Champion 2011/2012, 2020/2021

by LWJ » 07 Jun 2016 10:52

It's the fcuking Daily Mail. They probably read about the odds dropping on Twitter and printed the story to try and be the first paper to 'have' it.

You seriously are deluded if you think they have an inside scoop and don't print unfounded bollocks for the sake of it.

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 07 Jun 2016 10:53

The reception desk at the hotel seem to know all about it.

Millennium Madejski ‏@MadejskiHotel · 44m44 minutes ago
Nothing Official as yet however Jaap Stam is expected to be announced as the new Reading FC Manager very soon.

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 07 Jun 2016 10:56

LWJ It's the fcuking Daily Mail. They probably read about the odds dropping on Twitter and printed the story to try and be the first paper to 'have' it.

You seriously are deluded if you think they have an inside scoop and don't print unfounded bollocks for the sake of it.

I don't think that no, that undoubtedly sometimes happens. However, I don't believe that is the case here. I also know that agents and others close to situations like this plant stories in the national press. Some have the ring of truth about them and some don't. My feeling is that this does have the ring of truth. We shall see.

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

Re: McDermott out - Jaap Stam in....

by Uke » 07 Jun 2016 10:57

paultheroyal There are some negatives - there are a whole load of positives too and I for one am delighted with this news...

Like at Lazio?

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 07 Jun 2016 10:57

This is our 7th permanent manager since Alan Pardew left the club in September 2003, since when hairy managers have lasted a combined 3 years and 83 days. Jaap Stam will likely take us over 10 years of baldiness. Welcome Jaap.

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict

by LWJ » 07 Jun 2016 10:58

A hotel which only connection to the club is the fact it is built on to the stadium? Interesting.

I don't think you get it though.

Bookmakers make JS heavy odds on favourite after large amounts of money are placed on him. Paper picks this up, and prints story saying he will be confirmed shortly, increasing the clicks on their website/people buying the paper.

They aren't ITK and will not have had a tip off.

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict

by LWJ » 07 Jun 2016 10:59

Interesting marketing ploy though

Millennium Madejski ‏@MadejskiHotel 19m19 minutes ago
All @ReadingFC fans get 25% off our weekend rates (even non match weekends). You never know who you might see while you're here #URZ

kwik-silva
Hob Nob Regular

by kwik-silva » 07 Jun 2016 11:01

TBM I don't get why people are banging on about experience....McD didn't have any when he got the job and got us promoted, Pardew didn't have any when he got the job and got us promoted.

We've gone with experience before in Clarke and Adkins and they didn't do much for us.

The fact is Stam will have playing experience, the experience of playing under some of the worlds best managers and that knowledge is worth 10x whatever some coaching badge can give you

I'm plesaed to see him arrive

McDermott knew the players and knew the club though, whereas Adkins and Clarke didn't have that - alongside some horrific boardroom issues - and to me that is more the reason they failed rather than anything to do with experience. Obviously silly to pass judgment on Stam yet though, I'm just hoping he guides us to glory.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 07 Jun 2016 11:02

kwik-silva
TBM I don't get why people are banging on about experience....McD didn't have any when he got the job and got us promoted, Pardew didn't have any when he got the job and got us promoted.

We've gone with experience before in Clarke and Adkins and they didn't do much for us.

The fact is Stam will have playing experience, the experience of playing under some of the worlds best managers and that knowledge is worth 10x whatever some coaching badge can give you

McDermott knew the players and knew the club though, whereas Adkins and Clarke didn't have that - alongside some horrific boardroom issues - and to me that is more the reason they failed rather than anything to do with experience. Obviously silly to pass judgment on Stam yet though, I'm just hoping he guides us to glory.

I agree but if we weren't going to appoint someone from within, why does it then have to be someone with experience in management?! (which everyone seems to be banging on about)

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 07 Jun 2016 11:02

Stam has been short odds since McDermott was sacked. They could have run a story saying he was taking over at any time on that basis.

The story also specifically says Stam has agreed a two-year deal. That will be the tip off, if any.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 07 Jun 2016 11:14

kwik-silva

McDermott knew the players and knew the club though, whereas Adkins and Clarke didn't have that - alongside some horrific boardroom issues - and to me that is more the reason they failed rather than anything to do with experience.

And the fact they were both shit

If experience was so important we'd have never put a man on the moon

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 07 Jun 2016 11:16

Sorting this club is probably harder than putting a man on the moon, tbf

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 07 Jun 2016 11:20

Pretty sure the moon landing happened in a studio... :?

kwik-silva
Hob Nob Regular

by kwik-silva » 07 Jun 2016 11:22

TBM
kwik-silva

I agree but if we weren't going to appoint someone from within, why does it then have to be someone with experience in management?! (which everyone seems to be banging on about)

That's fair, it is a little worrying that Stam lacks both but if he can do the job then I'm not complaining.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 07 Jun 2016 11:24

maffff Pretty sure the moon landing happened in a studio... :?

Then you're a humongous bellend

No Fixed Abode

Re: McDermott out - Jaap Stam in....

by No Fixed Abode » 07 Jun 2016 11:26

paultheroyal
72 bus Terrific, never played in the Chump, no idea about the players or teams in this league, absolutely no experience of managing a football club at any level, but the owners have heard of him because he played for Man U who sell a lot of shirts in Thailand so he must be good.

Skybet have us 7/1 for promotion, they really need to go and have a lie down.

Adkins, Clarke - they knew the league - done them the world of good at Reading.

Yep and McDermott who knew the league and THE CLUB, (in his 2nd spell)..........did him the World of good.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 07 Jun 2016 11:35

genome
maffff Pretty sure the moon landing happened in a studio... :?

Then you're a humongous bellend

I don't really believe the moon landing was faked.

But you're absolutely correct regardless.

One8Seven1*

by One8Seven1* » 07 Jun 2016 11:57

LWJ It's the fcuking Daily Mail. They probably read about the odds dropping on Twitter and printed the story to try and be the first paper to 'have' it.

For football they're one of the more reliable papers!

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 07 Jun 2016 12:12

One8Seven1*

For football they're one of the more reliable papers!

Not seen Bale, Ronaldo or Ramos move to United. Or Benzema to Arsenal.

Not sure when that Messi to United story they came up with at the weekend is going to come to fruition.

490 posts