harry
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Euro 2016 Thread

by harry » 16 Jun 2016 18:22

AthleticoSpizz Gtfi N I
:D

Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict
Location: at a cricket ground somewhere around the country........

by Kitsondinho » 16 Jun 2016 18:24

Norwood having a much better game tonight!

Dr_Hfuhruhurr
Hob Nob Addict

by Dr_Hfuhruhurr » 16 Jun 2016 18:24

My favourite part of the England game was when we won it.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 16 Jun 2016 18:26

Ollie with the assist

tulip
Hob Nob Addict

by tulip » 16 Jun 2016 18:27

Lovely weather they are having for it!

harry
Hob Nob Regular

by harry » 16 Jun 2016 19:07

Just brilliant !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 16 Jun 2016 20:37

Thought England looked good - although Wales were so poor it probably made England look better than they were. Wales were anything but passionate and made Bale look like a right mug. Was nice to be able to ram his stupid words down his arrogant throat.

Gunter reverted to full on Reading defending for the winner :lol:

The ref was exceptional, would love our domestic refs to officiate like that.

Winston Smith
Hob Nob Addict

by Winston Smith » 16 Jun 2016 20:40

TFF
Hob Nob Addict

by TFF » 16 Jun 2016 20:41

6ft Kerplunk
winchester_royal Indeed, Wales didn't come to play football and got what they deserved.

No. Like Iceland the other night they had a game plan against, on paper at least, a stronger team. Defend well and in numbers and try to counter attack when they could. We all applauded Iceland for their approach. In Ramsey I thought they had the MOTM. People go on about Bale but he's the real heartbeat of that team.

I'd be quite happy to have praise 'plucky' Wales for their resolute defending had they got the draw, but after giving it the billy big bollocks in the warm up it was disappointing to see them bring nothing to the match.

Hope both teams go through though obvs

OLLIE KEARNS

by OLLIE KEARNS » 16 Jun 2016 20:55

Avon Royal Thought England looked good - although Wales were so poor it probably made England look better than they were. Wales were anything but passionate and made Bale look like a right mug. Was nice to be able to ram his stupid words down his arrogant throat.

Gunter reverted to full on Reading defending for the winner :lol:

The ref was exceptional, would love our domestic refs to officiate like that.

First time I've ever been please with Gunter's defending :D

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 16 Jun 2016 21:36

genome Bouncewatch

Lock them up.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 16 Jun 2016 22:37

What a bunch of wnakers

Handsome Man
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Practically Rock Paper Scissors Champion of the World

by Handsome Man » 17 Jun 2016 08:50

Ascotexgunner
Royal Rother
Ian Royal We did. He was ok, but never looked like scoring and didn't have Garath Bale behind him to pick up the slack.

That was a much much better second half. Still a pass too many too often and not zipping it along to stretch the opposition enough. Trying to do a little too much in the middle and snatching at chances. Horriffic long shooting too. But enough, just barely to dominate the game and sneak a win. Wales can feel really really unlucky. As unlucky as England ended feeling against Russia.

Now can we please not see Sterling on the pitch again?

Can't agree that Wales were unlucky.

Dominated by a pretty average outfit so that they had less than a third of possession (and it wasn't as if England were tip tapping around at the back to up the possession stats).

Our problem was we just don't have the imagination to break through a wall of defence when we get to the penalty area.

Well we do in Jack Wilshere but he's still sat on his bum.

Ill match your possession with the shots on Target....Wales 2 England 4......Indeed we are an average outfit, with not a large pool of players.....but its not like England were testing our keeper every 2 minutes. Wales came for a point and nearly got it. We were unlucky not to get a point (that we didn't deserve), the ball ran luckily for Sturridge and, well, god knows what a certain player was doing not standing up to a toe poke. As I say England deserved it but the 92nd minute? That's leaving it a tad late.

Looking around and comparing with the rest, we have a pretty good pool of players this year. Nani still gets games for Portugal and Sagna seems to be France's full back, while Italy's forwards aren't the best strikers at Southampton or Sunderland. Not everybody else has an abundance of riches.

We'll still mess it up I'm sure, but this is the first tournament in more than a decade we have gone into without an arrogant hard-core of players who were so sure of their places and so confident of their superstar status that they felt they didn't need to do the simple footballing things like passing the ball or defending. Things are good at the moment.

Winston Smith
Hob Nob Addict

by Winston Smith » 17 Jun 2016 09:19

I work with a fella who recently moved over here from Turkey (Hi Kes!) and he is cheering on whoever Turkey are playing in this tournament. He said there was an opinion poll taken there recently and 50% of the country said they wanted the national team to lose and get knocked out early. It's all due to corruption apparently, the manager shouldn't be there but was given a long contract and is controlled by the Prime Minister, he was found to be paying no tax but that was ok'd by the Gov, he says there were numerous weird selections in the squad that have people questioning what is behind it all

George_

by George_ » 17 Jun 2016 10:18

genome Bouncewatch

That is absolutely SUPERB

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 17 Jun 2016 10:37

George_
genome Bouncewatch

Covered in piss and beer. Gr8 stuff. :|

George_

by George_ » 17 Jun 2016 10:45

No Fixed Abode
George_
genome Bouncewatch

Covered in piss and beer. Gr8 stuff. :|

Imagine scoring a 92nd minute winner against Wales & just standing there clapping :|

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 17 Jun 2016 10:46

Ascotexgunner Ill match your possession with the shots on Target....Wales 2 England 4......Indeed we are an average outfit, with not a large pool of players.....but its not like England were testing our keeper every 2 minutes. Wales came for a point and nearly got it. We were unlucky not to get a point (that we didn't deserve), the ball ran luckily for Sturridge and, well, god knows what a certain player was doing not standing up to a toe poke. As I say England deserved it but the 92nd minute? That's leaving it a tad late.

I can understand the game plan, and it's worked for them for a while now, but you'd have thought they'd do a little more to try and create something and not just leave it all down to Bale pulling a piece of magic out of the hat.

As for the small pool of players, that's true to an extent, although I'd qualify that with it being a small pool of decent players as they've a reasonable quantity to choose from, especially when they pick so many Englishmen to boost the numbers. It's getting on for half their squad who are really English not Welsh. The Icelandic team, and to a certain extent Northern Island, are a much smaller pool of players because they don't utilise the Grandparent rule to quite the same extent.

Wales put up a decent fight as a Championship team against a Premier League team though. As for England, well I'd say we played pretty well again but obviously need to create better chances as well as take them in order to turn our decent play into goals against these weaker nations. We may well do better against sides that actually want to come at us a bit so I'm not too bothered about getting one of the better sides in the knockout rounds.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 17 Jun 2016 11:10

Handsome Man
Ascotexgunner
Royal Rother
Can't agree that Wales were unlucky.

Dominated by a pretty average outfit so that they had less than a third of possession (and it wasn't as if England were tip tapping around at the back to up the possession stats).

Our problem was we just don't have the imagination to break through a wall of defence when we get to the penalty area.

Well we do in Jack Wilshere but he's still sat on his bum.

Ill match your possession with the shots on Target....Wales 2 England 4......Indeed we are an average outfit, with not a large pool of players.....but its not like England were testing our keeper every 2 minutes. Wales came for a point and nearly got it. We were unlucky not to get a point (that we didn't deserve), the ball ran luckily for Sturridge and, well, god knows what a certain player was doing not standing up to a toe poke. As I say England deserved it but the 92nd minute? That's leaving it a tad late.

Looking around and comparing with the rest, we have a pretty good pool of players this year. Nani still gets games for Portugal and Sagna seems to be France's full back, while Italy's forwards aren't the best strikers at Southampton or Sunderland. Not everybody else has an abundance of riches.

We'll still mess it up I'm sure, but this is the first tournament in more than a decade we have gone into without an arrogant hard-core of players who were so sure of their places and so confident of their superstar status that they felt they didn't need to do the simple footballing things like passing the ball or defending. Things are good at the moment.

I absolutely agree about England. I have way more time for this England team since the "world class superstars" that basically did f*ck all every tournament and stank the tournaments out, have retired. I loved England 98, they looked the real deal but since then it was all about Beckham and co. My one worry for England in this tournament is that defence. When Wales did make the odd attack across the halfway line there were gaps. I think England can go far though, as for us, I worry about Colemans tactics, if he sets us up like that against Russia their big men will eat Williams and co up at the back. We need to be much more attacking minded, otherwise we will be going home early.

1464 posts