Euro 2016 Thread

1464 posts
bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Euro 2016 Thread

by bcubed » 21 Jun 2016 14:00

Royal Rother Another good if slightly unlucky performance from England.

Totally dominant playing some nice football - they have exceeded my expectations and look like a better team than I've seen England produce for a good few tournaments.

Yes I could pick holes as seems to be the national obsession these days but really the reaction to what has been 3 decent performances is pathetic.

Good saves, amazing blocks, massed defences... we've been a little unfortunate so far but everyone has had a run out, it's a marathon not a sprint etc. etc.

I'm aware I'm going against the grain here and may have cause to reflect next Monday but I think it's all rather promising.

Agreed
As Roy said when did we last dominate games in a tournament like this?
Given a team willing to try and win I think we'll be alright
Either that or we need to start mishitting our shots (a la Robson-Kanu!)

I thought the selection was fine although Wilshere was well below par and he and Sturridge created most of Slovakia's opportunities by giving the ball away.

Brosef Stalin
Hob Nob Regular

by Brosef Stalin » 21 Jun 2016 15:01

Pepe the Horseman
bcubed
jd82 Wilshere is clearly not fit, let alone match fit. He was visibly blowing at about 35 minute last night.. His performance demonstrated all the things I don't like about him. Over omitting himself with and without the ball.

Sturridge is facking infuriating to watch, always wants one touch extra, slowing play down and meaning all his team mates have already made thier runs while he's still doing stepovers 3 yards away from anyone. One example last night where Clyne overlapped and rather than a simple 10 yard ball into space he tried to take on 3 defenders.

It's a shame that our 2 best performers have both been in the same position, Clyne will probably (rightly) miss out in the knockouts, which seems a bit harsh.

agree with this plus he's a oxf*rd lazy oxf*rd

Hark at Ron Atkinson over here.

m8, we are sooo on the same wavelength. I was gonna post that.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 21 Jun 2016 15:16

Mwah x

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 21 Jun 2016 15:39

As clarification seems necessary the key word here is lazy
He's lazy
He may be skilful, though it was hardly apparent yesterday, but he's no team player IMO.
I suspect he hardly broke sweat

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 21 Jun 2016 15:40

bcubed As clarification seems necessary the key word here is lazy

That was Ron's defence wasn't it?

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 21 Jun 2016 15:58

Sutekh Actually think that it's all down to Hodgson and his **** tactics. Sturridge doesn't have a problem being efficient and effective for Liverpool (just keeping fit).

Nah, I think Sturridge plays the same for Liverpool most of the time too, it's just that in the Premier League we don't have teams putting 8 or 9 men on the edge of the box and limiting the space so much.

Sturridge needs a bit of a free role to play off of/with a front man (eg Vardy, Kane or Suarez) because he can't or won't hold a position. He never has, hence why he's so often been played as a wide man in a 3 (it's one reason why he left Chelsea IIRC).

I do agree he needs to be closer to the box and running at people, I just think he had that freedom last night but the sheer volumes in front of him forced him to wander more.

TFF
Hob Nob Addict

by TFF » 21 Jun 2016 16:11

Stupid format.

Could've done with a Crouch or a Carroll in the group matches. And a winger that can cross.

jd82
Hob Nob Addict

by jd82 » 21 Jun 2016 16:18

Hoop Blah
Sutekh Actually think that it's all down to Hodgson and his **** tactics. Sturridge doesn't have a problem being efficient and effective for Liverpool (just keeping fit).

Nah, I think Sturridge plays the same for Liverpool most of the time too, it's just that in the Premier League we don't have teams putting 8 or 9 men on the edge of the box and limiting the space so much.

Sturridge needs a bit of a free role to play off of/with a front man (eg Vardy, Kane or Suarez) because he can't or won't hold a position. He never has, hence why he's so often been played as a wide man in a 3 (it's one reason why he left Chelsea IIRC).

I do agree he needs to be closer to the box and running at people, I just think he had that freedom last night but the sheer volumes in front of him forced him to wander more.

I've got no problem with him coming deep (lol) to collect the ball, but it's when he does, and then refuses easy passes and tries to shimmy his way through 2 lines of four, that makes me think he's something of a thickcunt. he was effectively playing in a Liverpool trifecta last night and still wouldn't pass to his mates.

Brosef Stalin
Hob Nob Regular

by Brosef Stalin » 21 Jun 2016 17:35

Silver Fox

Strange, never had bcubed down as a racist....takes all kinds i s'pose

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 21 Jun 2016 19:56

Maguire
Sutekh Really had enough. Last night it was like watching Reading; clueless, slow, ponderous and predictable.

Blame really has to be with Hodgson and the fact he has not developed a style or system and picked players that fit with that system well and instead just adheres to the same old faces and supposedly "best" players and then tries to force them into a stultifying and tactically inept system for the occasion.

Credit though to Clyne who was the best player on the pitch and feel sorry for Vardy who was forced into a role that really isn't his game.

The sooner Hodgson goes or has a complete change of approach the better

Totally disagree with you tbh. Picks the same old faces? Compare that to 2014 - no Glen Johnson, no Baines, no Jagielka, no Milner, no Gerrard, no Lampard etc.

Eric Dier looks like an absolute player IMHO - great addition to the side. Alli is an obvious first choice. Walker's been excellent. Vardy's had 1.5 games. Rooney's been very good in his new role.

Clearly I don't think we're going to win it but we've bossed three games in a row for the first time I can remember in any tournament in my lifetime. Last night we had the most goal attempts since 1980. We're just a bit disjointed in the final third, otherwise very decent.

Finally well done to Wales, nice to see someone capable of keeping the British end up. Think I prefer to watch them rather than Roy's deadly dull wasters

Shit bait but you can have a nibble anyway. They got played off the park by England, offered nothing at all. Pleased their through though.

Played off the park eh. We were 1 up for 80 minutes and in the entire match England offered just 4 shots on target to our 2....one of which was a goal.
The equaliser was an assist by Ashley Williams and the winner was a toe poke scuffed and off of Gunter's knee by the looks of it. Other than that we looked solid. Its a shame CC let us drop so deep and didn't push 2 up top. Woy might have thought twice about brining on 100 strikers in desperation.
I'm actually pleased England have moved on from the turgid crap that Beckham, Gerrard and co served up for over a decade. England have real potential. I can't help feeling though that some of their best talent was left at home. Drinkwater, Carroll and Townsend a few others would offer a lot more. Those 3 above would have given England 9 points. This could be exciting times for England. No doubt the FA will cock it up with another duff appointment or contract extension.
Last edited by Ascotexgunner on 21 Jun 2016 20:03, edited 2 times in total.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 21 Jun 2016 20:00

lol, Wales' goal was a horrendous goalkeeping error. And so what if the equaliser came off Williams' head? That's what you get for being under constant pressure and pinned back in your own area all half.

England had 20 attempts at goal in that game and 70% possession. Anyone who thinks Wales were better entertainment is blind.

I like Wales and I'm glad they went through but I'd be more than happy to play them again in a k/o match.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 21 Jun 2016 20:03

Brosef Stalin
Silver Fox

Strange, never had bcubed down as a racist....takes all kinds i s'pose

Methinks you doth protest too much

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 21 Jun 2016 20:06

Maguire lol, Wales' goal was a horrendous goalkeeping error. And so what if the equaliser came off Williams' head? That's what you get for being under constant pressure and pinned back in your own area all half.

England had 20 attempts at goal in that game and 70% possession. Anyone who thinks Wales were better entertainment is blind.

I like Wales and I'm glad they went through but I'd be more than happy to play them again in a k/o match.

Me too

tulip
Hob Nob Addict

by tulip » 21 Jun 2016 20:25

Spain look a class above the rest, imo.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 21 Jun 2016 20:30

Croatia are proving the opposite at the moment tho'.................despite being a goal down.

edit

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 21 Jun 2016 21:04

One one

Very skilful game.

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 21 Jun 2016 21:11

Spanish shirt is the worst of the tournament so far.

tulip
Hob Nob Addict

by tulip » 21 Jun 2016 21:17

LUX Spanish shirt is the worst of the tournament so far.

Hideous.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 21 Jun 2016 21:31

Croatia missing some key players as well. Could go far if the herogans don't fcuk it up for them.

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 21 Jun 2016 21:48

Very soft penalty/ not a penalty to Spain

Ramos misses, but goalie miles off his line to make save

Justice served tbf.

1464 posts