Re: And now Gunter...

by Royal_jimmy » 10 Aug 2016 13:35

linked with Derby now

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 10 Aug 2016 13:38

Royal_jimmy linked with Derby now

And follow in the fine footsteps of Pearce and Blackman?

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 10 Aug 2016 13:54

NewCorkSeth

Is he better than Cyrus Christie? Or is it just Derby's random player generator transfer policy in action again?

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 10 Aug 2016 14:13

Derby, Celtic, Hull and Swansea are supposedly after him. No brainer really, has to be Swansea if he had the choice surely? Whatever way it goes though we'll only get £1m assuming the suggested release clause is accurate....

I hope we've got a senior right back in mind when/if he does go so that it it is close to the window closing we can just make a move.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 10 Aug 2016 14:46

muirinho
NewCorkSeth

Is he better than Cyrus Christie? Or is it just Derby's random player generator transfer policy in action again?

My first thought was no.. Cyrus Christie is surely one of the better fullbacks in the Championship?

They really do their best to screw it all up dont they? Hendrick, Ince, Hughes and Thorne in the team and they cant get promoted? Not to mention Martin is thoroughly decent at this level.
More than that they sign Blackman...

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 10 Aug 2016 14:49

Sutekh Derby, Celtic, Hull and Swansea are supposedly after him. No brainer really, has to be Swansea if he had the choice surely? Whatever way it goes though we'll only get £1m assuming the suggested release clause is accurate....

I hope we've got a senior right back in mind when/if he does go so that it it is close to the window closing we can just make a move.

Sadly Swansea have been raided again this summer. I doubt Gunter will get more game time than that tottenham bloke they have.

tee peg
Hob Nob Regular

by tee peg » 10 Aug 2016 15:32

NewCorkSeth

We must have someone on the payroll inside Derby.

Nuremberg Royal

by Nuremberg Royal » 10 Aug 2016 16:05

Fancy Derby to go up this season with or without CG

kwik-silva
Hob Nob Regular

by kwik-silva » 10 Aug 2016 18:21

I can't help but feel Gunter would have gone by now if anybody is seriously interested - given that apparent release clause

Oilroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by Oilroyal » 10 Aug 2016 18:40

I honestly can't see Gunter leaving. I think he's settled here otherwise why would he sign the recent contract, albeit with a 1.2m release clause which would have been his agent's assurance. Certainly can't see him going to Hull. And I think the Swansea link is just paper talk. Maybe Derby have enough to turn his head but again I can't help thinking that he's settled here. I also think JS will have him playing to his full potential this season and if he doesn't stay with us beyond this season then much better options than a move to Hull or Derby will be on the table for an international who is still at an age to attract a big move. He's got his head screwed on and hopefully he'll stay at least another season with us.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 10 Aug 2016 18:49

As much as I am not a huge fan of him he did have the captains armband for the match so clearly he is valued here. The fact that nobody seems to be coming up with a decent or realistic replacement says volumes too.

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 10 Aug 2016 18:58

Doubt he's going anywhere without McCleary...

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 11 Aug 2016 16:48

One hopes the club will have good sense to prevent Gunter leaving until they have secured replacement.... or will we flog him to Hull/Derby tomorrow leaving Watson and a possibly unfit Obita as the only full backs at the club who have played in the first team......

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 11 Aug 2016 19:01

http://www.dcfcpodcast.uk/thoughts-gunter-forestieri/

Of the very few rumours we’ve had over the summer, the position of right back does seem to keep popping up.
There was Ritchie de Laet (who hasn’t been given a squad number by Leicester this season), Aaron Gunnarsson and now Chris Gunter. So perhaps Pearson is looking to improve the right side of Derby’s defence. For all of Cyrus Christie’s improvements last season there are still questions over his defensive qualities and with Pearson likely to want a more rigid side, the constant attacking runs from Christie possibly isn’t to his liking.
Firstly, get over the fact that Gunter played for Forest, it’s irrelevant. He’s an extremely competent defender at this level and would be an excellent addition to the side. He’s captained Forest and Reading so would no doubt bring some more character to the side.

Also, he’s a bit of an arsehole. He’s horrible to play against and, Forest connection aside, there’s a reason he has the “oxf*rd off Gunter” chant sung to him. It can also be argued that Derby have been too nice over recent years and need more needle in their side, more know how if you wish. He’d bring that.

Have Derby ever actually seen Gunter play or have they got the wrong player?

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 11 Aug 2016 22:06

sandman http://www.dcfcpodcast.uk/thoughts-gunter-forestieri/

Of the very few rumours we’ve had over the summer, the position of right back does seem to keep popping up.
There was Ritchie de Laet (who hasn’t been given a squad number by Leicester this season), Aaron Gunnarsson and now Chris Gunter. So perhaps Pearson is looking to improve the right side of Derby’s defence. For all of Cyrus Christie’s improvements last season there are still questions over his defensive qualities and with Pearson likely to want a more rigid side, the constant attacking runs from Christie possibly isn’t to his liking.
Firstly, get over the fact that Gunter played for Forest, it’s irrelevant. He’s an extremely competent defender at this level and would be an excellent addition to the side. He’s captained Forest and Reading so would no doubt bring some more character to the side.

Also, he’s a bit of an arsehole. He’s horrible to play against and, Forest connection aside, there’s a reason he has the “oxf*rd off Gunter” chant sung to him. It can also be argued that Derby have been too nice over recent years and need more needle in their side, more know how if you wish. He’d bring that.

Derby fans in being clueless shock. :roll:

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 11 Aug 2016 22:40

Royal Ginger Doubt he's going anywhere without McCleary...

Keep a lid on it you homophobe.

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 11 Aug 2016 23:00

Royalwaster
Royal Ginger Doubt he's going anywhere without McCleary...

Keep a lid on it you homophobe.

lol, try again.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 12 Aug 2016 00:06

CountryRoyal

Lol. I particularly like that they think Gunter is valued for his defensive qualities..

Has he ever been hard to play against?

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 12 Aug 2016 00:51

NewCorkSeth
CountryRoyal

Lol. I particularly like that they think Gunter is valued for his defensive qualities..

There are very few games I've come out of thinking "wow, good thing we had Chris Gunter, otherwise we'd have been oxf*rd".

Gets caught of possession too much, doesn't stop enough crosses and can't cross himself. Equally his clearances are hit and miss and gives the ball away in dangerous areas too much. I hope to god Watson develops quickly as with Gunter in the team we are always likely to concede. Don't have the stats but I'm pretty sure most goals we conceded last season were from his side.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 12 Aug 2016 00:59

CountryRoyal
NewCorkSeth
CountryRoyal

There are very few games I've come out of thinking "wow, good thing we had Chris Gunter, otherwise we'd have been oxf*rd".

Gets caught of possession too much, doesn't stop enough crosses and can't cross himself. Equally his clearances are hit and miss and gives the ball away in dangerous areas too much. I hope to god Watson develops quickly as with Gunter in the team we are always likely to concede. Don't have the stats but I'm pretty sure most goals we conceded last season were from his side.

I have to say watching the video of Beerens goal yesterday I was surprised at Gunters movement in the box to take the shot that led to the goal.. Would be very funny for Derby to buy Gunter when they describe Christie as the exact same type of player..

143 posts