Nameless
Stranded
Snowflake Royal ...................Martinez
..Yiadom, Ilori, Miazga, Blackett
...........Rinomhota, Ezatolahi
.....Ejaria, .......Swift, .....McCleary
......................Oliviera

Jaakkola, Gunter, Moore, Bacuna, Barrow, Bodvarsson, Meite

But there's a snowballs chance in hell of Gomes doing that. You've got question why Ezatolahi hasn't been sent back with Gomes signing 5 loanees.

Either Gomes can't count, has decided Baker is shit already or doesn't want Ezatolahi.

I fear for Rino with Gomes moving him to accommodate Bacuna, Baker and Swift once already.

Rino has the curse of being able to play in more than one position to a better standard than other options.

Ezatolahi hasn't been sent back as yet as I would suspect Gomes wants to see him in training and as we can have 5 loanees in a squad, no major issue with having 6 if all fit. There will be times when it makes sense for him to be in over say Baker and times when he will sit out.

Ilori is very unlikely to play again I would say, not sure Miazga would be here if Ilori was staying.

The XI he picks will change depending on opposition but my feel is that the default team (when fit) would be:

Martinez

Yiadom
Moore
Miazga
Richards

Rinohmota
Bacuna

Ejaria
Swift
Barrow

Oliveria

Bench: Jaakkola, Baker, Gunter, Bodvarsson, Meite, Aluko, Harriot, McCleary

Blackett would be on the bench surely, either instead of Gunter or one of the 4 interchangeable wideish players....no CB cover otherwise.

Yep, Blackett could well be ahead of Gunter.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Starting XI ?

by Denver Royal » 28 Jan 2019 13:31

Snowball Rhino HAPPENED not to work (although the players under-used Rhino
when he was in space attacking)... but it was a reasonable, logical, decision

Yep, a reasoned and calm response. I thought so too at the time, but wasn't going to bring it up amidst all the noise, outrage and hysteria from a lynch mob. (Down the pub, I mean :wink: )

Stranded
Snowflake Royal You've got question why Ezatolahi hasn't been sent back with Gomes signing 5 loanees.
Either Gomes can't count, has decided Baker is shit already or doesn't want Ezatolahi.
I fear for Rino with Gomes moving him to accommodate Bacuna, Baker and Swift once already.

Rino has the curse of being able to play in more than one position to a better standard than other options.
Ezatolahi hasn't been sent back as yet as I would suspect Gomes wants to see him in training and as we can have 5 loanees in a squad, no major issue with having 6 if all fit. There will be times when it makes sense for him to be in over say Baker and times when he will sit out.

Again, way too sensible and measured. Thanks.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 28 Jan 2019 18:42

Stranded
Snowflake Royal ...................Martinez
..Yiadom, Ilori, Miazga, Blackett
...........Rinomhota, Ezatolahi
.....Ejaria, .......Swift, .....McCleary
......................Oliviera

Jaakkola, Gunter, Moore, Bacuna, Barrow, Bodvarsson, Meite

But there's a snowballs chance in hell of Gomes doing that. You've got question why Ezatolahi hasn't been sent back with Gomes signing 5 loanees.

Ilori is very unlikely to play again I would say, not sure Miazga would be here if Ilori was staying.

I don't really agree on the first part. We've been demonstrating for years that square pegs don't fit in round holes. Managers seem to regularly shift players out of position or pick combinations that don't work to accommodate everyone they most rate. It's poor management and generally a tactic of failure.

I've no problem using Rino as tactical cover for an attacking sub. Or if we've got no fit full backs (though I'd prefer Bacuna). He is absolutely not a better option than Gunter, Yiadom or Blackett there though... maybe Richards.

IMO playing him at RB was Gomes first clear and easily avoidable mistake. You don't move your best player and that's what he's been.

On Eza, that's the only plausible explanation. I don't think it's a major issue to have loanees, I just think it's less than ideal.

On Ilori, maybe. It's looking possible for sure. He certainly has his problems, but they're in decision making and in a better side with more experience I think he could be a hell of a player. I prefer him to Moore because I think Moore is completely stagnating and simply doesn't want to be here anymore. I think that is affecting his performances. Call it simply personal preference.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 28 Jan 2019 18:46

Blackett and Moore to start at the back.