Swift to... Southampton

432 posts
genome
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Swift to... Southampton

by genome » 20 Jul 2020 10:26

Old Man Andrews Swift turns up once in 10 games, he isn't anywhere near consistent enough to go for a huge fee. Either way it is great to get him off the wage bill.

We got £5m for Aaron Tshibola :lol:

£3.5m is a joke.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 20 Jul 2020 10:26

Midfield is going to need some heavy recruitment.

At this rate all we'll have is Rinomhota, Olise and Holsgrove.

:shock:

Baker would be an upgrade on Swift. Him and Rino gives a solid base for Ejaria or Olise to play off. :?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 20 Jul 2020 10:29

Low does say its an 'initial fee'

For me, though its sad to lose Swift, it does indicate the club are trying to do what I consider the right thing now. No more paying bloated wages to try and keep him here.

Hopefully they can off load Moore as well, and we really will have shifted out most of the big wages

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 20 Jul 2020 10:30

genome
Old Man Andrews Swift turns up once in 10 games, he isn't anywhere near consistent enough to go for a huge fee. Either way it is great to get him off the wage bill.

We got £5m for Aaron Tshibola :lol:

£3.5m is a joke.

Think about the current financial climate though, fees will be down across the board. The £3.5 would equate to around £7/£8m if Covid hadn't happened.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 20 Jul 2020 10:30

I'd almost be wetting myself with excitement if we brought Baker back. He may be in our range; tbh his half a season with us was probably his career highlight to date. I doubt we'd be competing with big clubs.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 20 Jul 2020 10:30

Snowflake Royal Midfield is going to need some heavy recruitment.

Why what’s happening with Ejaria??

3.5m for swift is shiiiiiiiiiit. We’re mugs. Sets a dangerous precedent as well. Might as well do buy one get one free oxf*rd me.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 20 Jul 2020 10:31

Baker would be an upgrade on Swift. Him and Rino gives a solid base for Ejaria or Olise to play off. :?

We can find a solid CDM hopefully. If Ejaria has signed, along with Olise and Rino, that should do us to start with. Obvs I wouldnt say no to Baker coming, but depends on the wages etc

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 20 Jul 2020 10:31

CountryRoyal

3.5m for swift is shiiiiiiiiiit. We’re mugs. Sets a dangerous precedent as well. Might as well do buy one get one free oxf*rd me.

Oh yeah. I forgot. So that's the three lightweight attacking midfielders and one box to box proper midfielder then.

We should be fine. :wink:

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 20 Jul 2020 10:31

CountryRoyal

Isn't the agreed fee with Liverpool for Ejaria about £3.5m?

Wonder if it's just a coincidence those two are the same fees :?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 20 Jul 2020 10:32

CountryRoyal

He's a quality player, but he is 25 now - ie not esp young, and his wages are a big drain on the club. We need to ship out, and sadly we've put ourselves in a position where we have to take what is on offer

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 20 Jul 2020 10:38

Seems like things have changed since we turned down £8m+ for Moore and offered him £35k a week to stay. Think Howe has told the owners a few home truths? Or they have learnt the hard way? Or will we see another last minute u-turn on a sale as with Moore and Loader?

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 20 Jul 2020 10:42

WestYorksRoyal Seems like things have changed since we turned down £8m+ for Moore and offered him £35k a week to stay. Think Howe has told the owners a few home truths? Or they have learnt the hard way? Or will we see another last minute u-turn on a sale as with Moore and Loader?

Seem to remember the owner thinking Moore was some sort of lucky charm and wanted to keep him at all costs. Lets see how long that lasts once the window opens......

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 20 Jul 2020 11:00

Interesting to see the reaction on social media, doesn't help in some cases where some outlets aren't accurately reporting that it is an initial fee of £3.5m so I people are rightly thinking we're getting mugged off.

Hopefully the add-ons are reasonable and bring his overall fee to around the £5m value.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 20 Jul 2020 11:28

Hound
Hendo Would be disappointed if that was the final figure.

But if it is £3.5m upfront with, lets say another £1.5m in instalments over 2 years and sell on %, it wouldn't be the worst deal in the world.

yeah, suspect there will be some sort of add ons. 5-6m all in seems about right

I'm a big fan but he hasnt been too good since the lockdown. It will save us a ton in wages and put a bit of money in the bank.

Its the right time in his career for him to go, so good luck to him

Will it really save us that much?
This is a real dilemma for clubs like ours-do we keep on selling our best players and take a chance on others (Aluko, McNulty, Baldock?) or do we try and keep them?

It is a fine balance financially but if we are getting rid of a number who are on good wages is it really necessary to cash in on Swift?
This will be a test of the intent of our owners because an ambition to get to the Premier League would include Ejaria and Swift in midfield plus Miazga at the back and build a side around these better players.

If there is no such ambition then let Swift go , don't invest in more players and get relegated OR get it right by using the Swift money to bring in players that our coaching staff know are out there and will improve the squad-that is quite a gamble but the whole thing post covid is a gamble.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 20 Jul 2020 11:33

South Coast Royal
Hound
Hendo Would be disappointed if that was the final figure.

But if it is £3.5m upfront with, lets say another £1.5m in instalments over 2 years and sell on %, it wouldn't be the worst deal in the world.

I'm a big fan but he hasnt been too good since the lockdown. It will save us a ton in wages and put a bit of money in the bank.

Yes............ Do I have to do the maths for you??????????

He has two years left on his deal at an estimated 20k per week. £2m saved.

We are getting an upfront fee of £3.5m

Total = £5.5m

mikey0406

by mikey0406 » 20 Jul 2020 11:45

There is a reason to get excited here, with those offloaded already, loans coming to an end and those out of contract, coupled with the likely departures of swift and Moore the club will save in excess of 150,000 a week with those wages off the book. If fees recouped stretch up to £12 million plus, the club will have saved a hell of a lot of the shortfall.

The names touted to come in will not cost anywhere near those leaving in wages. If Bowen and the team have identified their targets plus those to be promoted from the youth ranks it may look brighter ahead.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 20 Jul 2020 11:49

Old Man Andrews
South Coast Royal
Hound

Total = £5.5m

Yes and thats minimum. No doubts had hefty performance related bonuses, and there will be add ons as well.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 20 Jul 2020 11:49

mikey0406 There is a reason to get excited here, with those offloaded already, loans coming to an end and those out of contract, coupled with the likely departures of swift and Moore the club will save in excess of 150,000 a week with those wages off the book. If fees recouped stretch up to £12 million plus, the club will have saved a hell of a lot of the shortfall.

The names touted to come in will not cost anywhere near those leaving in wages. If Bowen and the team have identified their targets plus those to be promoted from the youth ranks it may look brighter ahead.

Good post Mikey, agree with this. On the whole the likes of McCleary, Gunter, Moore etc are associated to some of the most mediocre years of my time as a supporter, some of it has been proper dross. We need a fresh start, investment in new players who want to make a name for themselves.

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 20 Jul 2020 11:50

exactly, and if we get the same sort of fee for Moore. we would be saving 5.5 million on wages over the 3-year still remaining on his contract plus a fee of around 3.5 mill = 9 mill

add in to that gunter mccleary blackett adam all ooc barrow gone for now too for around 1.5 mill

the return of boye miazga and pele back to their parent clubs.

just need aluko to fook off and we should have made the necessary cuts.

buy a couple of up and coming lower league players and we should be back in safe territory. its just a shame its taken covid for these wasters off our books. i wont be sorry to see any of the above leave to be honest

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 20 Jul 2020 11:50

Hound
Old Man Andrews
South Coast Royal

Total = £5.5m

Yes and thats minimum. No doubts had hefty performance related bonuses, and there will be add ons as well.

I think all in all that is a good return on a player who is 25 and has 1 good game in 5.

432 posts