Weekend Football

6189 posts
Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Weekend Football

by Stranded » 26 Sep 2021 11:21

Pepe the Horseman Also can I just say what a joy it is to see Leeds struggling after last year's media wankfest.

I would find it quite amusing if they we t down. They won't but still.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 26 Sep 2021 12:15

Simmops Norwich :|

Care to elabor8?

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 26 Sep 2021 13:43

paultheroyal
URZZZZ
NathStPaul Think about the money they are making, they will be sustainable for years whilst their owners and investors earn a shit load. I genuinely don't think they care about yo-yoing. Money is all that matters.

Not from a fans perspective though

Sure, the owners may not care for the reasons you outlined, but it must be pretty soul destroying as a fan knowing you’re going straight back down each time you get up

It’s only 5 games in and they have had a tough start but it does feel like deja vu all over again

I would be quite happy with this approach. Every game in premier league is about survival, every game like a cup final. Knowing full well if you go down you are competitive to challenge again whilst being financially very stable.

No fun losing every week. Novelty wears off

They’ve lost 16 Prem league games in a row. They’ve only scored 3 goals in that period. Like I said, each to their own, but struggling to see why you’d be happy with that approach

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 26 Sep 2021 13:45

Pepe the Horseman Also can I just say what a joy it is to see Leeds struggling after last year's media wankfest.

Second season syndrome

Didn’t strengthen enough after a promising first season (sound familiar?) Lost too many players to injuries. Think they’ll still recover but will be a struggle for them

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 26 Sep 2021 14:00

Pepe the Horseman

Care to elabor8?

They're shit

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 26 Sep 2021 14:28

Simmops
Pepe the Horseman

Care to elabor8?

They're shit

Ah right, yeh, obviously.

Who do we think are going down?

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 26 Sep 2021 15:29

URZZZZ
paultheroyal
URZZZZ
Not from a fans perspective though

Sure, the owners may not care for the reasons you outlined, but it must be pretty soul destroying as a fan knowing you’re going straight back down each time you get up

It’s only 5 games in and they have had a tough start but it does feel like deja vu all over again

I would be quite happy with this approach. Every game in premier league is about survival, every game like a cup final. Knowing full well if you go down you are competitive to challenge again whilst being financially very stable.

They’ve lost 16 Prem league games in a row. They’ve only scored 3 goals in that period. Like I said, each to their own, but struggling to see why you’d be happy with that approach

They are financially secure and have a great ownership structure that will ensure the club are around for many years to come. They'll never struggle financially and have a fantastic youth set up to fall back on. Their supporters get to watch the best players in the world playing at Carrow Road and know that if their team gets relegated from the Premier League, they'll have a great chance of winning the Championship the next season.

Why are you struggling to see all that as a positive?

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 26 Sep 2021 17:25

I think their supporters go to Carrow Rd to watch Norwich City and the novelty wears off when you're the whipping boys every other season. When we were in the Premier League, I couldn't give a shit who was on the other side I went to watch Reading. It was a struggle in 2012/13 when a lot of the time we weren't good enough.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 26 Sep 2021 18:03

Yeah I’m not one of those people who think getting promoted is a bad idea but it’s not so I can watch Edinson Sanchez in the flesh

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 26 Sep 2021 18:20

NathStPaul
URZZZZ
paultheroyal

They are financially secure and have a great ownership structure that will ensure the club are around for many years to come. They'll never struggle financially and have a fantastic youth set up to fall back on. Their supporters get to watch the best players in the world playing at Carrow Road and know that if their team gets relegated from the Premier League, they'll have a great chance of winning the Championship the next season.

more disappointed by the verbal infighting and bitching on the terraces.
Remember Jobi working his nuts off, only to get barracked and castigated at every available opportunity by the gob-sh1ts sat near me.

We (as a team) simply weren’t up to it....one or two freeloaders

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 26 Sep 2021 19:40

NathStPaul
URZZZZ
paultheroyal

From a fans’ perspective (which I think was my initial point), they don’t particularly care about the finances. They want to see their team competitive and trying to win games of football. They’re not even close to either of those. To repeat, 16 games lost in a row in the Prem

You’re regurgitating financial stuff which is fairly irrelevant to the wider point that is isn’t much fun being a Norwich fan. You only have to see the reactions from their fans to realise that perhaps it isn’t much fun just yo-yoing each season with the inevitable losses

“Best players in the world” - I’d suggest that doesn’t even come into the thinking of their supporters

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 26 Sep 2021 19:42

From Despair To Where? I think their supporters go to Carrow Rd to watch Norwich City and the novelty wears off when you're the whipping boys every other season. When we were in the Premier League, I couldn't give a shit who was on the other side I went to watch Reading. It was a struggle in 2012/13 when a lot of the time we weren't good enough.

Yep - agreed, a hard watch of a season

As said, obvious financial benefits with going up etc etc but as fans, we’re not here to see that

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 26 Sep 2021 20:22

URZZZZ
From Despair To Where? I think their supporters go to Carrow Rd to watch Norwich City and the novelty wears off when you're the whipping boys every other season. When we were in the Premier League, I couldn't give a shit who was on the other side I went to watch Reading. It was a struggle in 2012/13 when a lot of the time we weren't good enough.

As said, obvious financial benefits with going up etc etc but as fans, we’re not here to see that

I would be frustrated in their position that their team seems weaker now than when they finished bottom last time. They have spent years running their club sensibly and being sustainable; surely at some point you need to invest to make more of an effort in the PL. But what quality have they replaced Buendia with?

When you get into "big club" debates, what really matters is the ability to generate revenue and on this count Norwich should really be capable of matching the likes of Palace, Brighton and Burnley. They were selling out every week even in L1 and have a huge region where there is nobody else to support.

So at some point, they should really be looking to move on and do better than simply being the whipping boys who know how to bounce back.

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 27 Sep 2021 10:33

Silver Fox Yeah I’m not one of those people who think getting promoted is a bad idea but it’s not so I can watch Edinson Sanchez in the flesh

Yeah that

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 27 Sep 2021 11:19

WestYorksRoyal
URZZZZ

I would be frustrated in their position that their team seems weaker now than when they finished bottom last time. They have spent years running their club sensibly and being sustainable; surely at some point you need to invest to make more of an effort in the PL. But what quality have they replaced Buendia with?

When you get into "big club" debates, what really matters is the ability to generate revenue and on this count Norwich should really be capable of matching the likes of Palace, Brighton and Burnley. They were selling out every week even in L1 and have a huge region where there is nobody else to support.

So at some point, they should really be looking to move on and do better than simply being the whipping boys who know how to bounce back.

Can relate to Brentford’s fortunes. Always extremely capable of finding gems to replace anyone sold but found themselves languishing from 8th-12th place each season. Were lacking in a couple of positions (particularly CB), but then spent big on Jansson, getting to a playoff final followed by promotion

All well and good running the club sustainably but it becomes rather futile if you can’t make the next step. Clubs should be constantly trying to improve themselves and hit the next levels. Norwich don’t seem to be interested in that

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 27 Sep 2021 11:55

The problem with the ‘spend to improve’ philosophy is that, should it not work, the sustainability goes straight out of the window.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 27 Sep 2021 17:15

Some pundits were talking Of Brighton this season being one of the main contenders for relegation.
If they were to win tonight they would go top.

A well-run club which has developed gradually both on and off the pitch.
An example to others of what can be done especially when you think of what a state they were in a couple of decades ago.

It should perhaps give us hope for the future in that we can recover from the dreadful mess created by owners with supposed deep pockets but without the skill set to run a football club properly.
I wonder if the Mad Man now thinks that if he had pushed the boat out just a little bit in that second season we might still be a Premier League club like a Burnley or a Brighton who both had spent many years outside the Premier League before establishing themselves at that level and Southampton who always sell their best players yet manage to more than survive..

As for Norwich they had a ridiculously hard first set of fixtures but even on 0 points they are a mere 4 points from being out of the relegation zone and from reports read they were on the whole the better side at Everton on Saturday so maybe, just maybe their fans can hope although I doubt that any of us would bet on their survival.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 27 Sep 2021 22:37

Loving Neil Maupay's accent afterwards in the interview. Sounded like a proper Londoner who was putting on a little French accent here and there

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 27 Sep 2021 23:04

Winston Biscuit Loving Neil Maupay's accent afterwards in the interview. Sounded like a proper Londoner who was putting on a little French accent here and there

I had no idea he was French :oops:

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 28 Sep 2021 11:10

South Coast Royal I wonder if the Mad Man now thinks that if he had pushed the boat out just a little bit in that second season we might still be a Premier League club like a Burnley or a Brighton who both had spent many years outside the Premier League before establishing themselves at that level and Southampton who always sell their best players yet manage to more than survive..

Having spoken to both him and Nigel Howe on this subject, I don't actually thin that either of them were able to scale up their thoughts sufficiently to make that leap - they were so obsessed with doing everything on the cheap and getting best value that they just couldn't think in terms of the sums involved to survive in the PL. Although the numbers were big in comparison to what they were used to, they werrn't that big in terms of PL income. But it was a failure of imagination and ambition as much as anything else.

6189 posts