Pauno out

3542 posts
CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Pauno out

by CountryRoyal » 03 Nov 2021 14:34

If we get relegated I'd bet on us dropping to League Two sooner than getting promoted.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 03 Nov 2021 14:47

CountryRoyal If we get relegated I'd bet on us dropping to League Two sooner than getting promoted.

Why should we be any different to Wigan? they were up to their necks in the brown stuff when the owners did a runner but they are flying now and look like a good bet to bounce back up.
I expect their fans were saying exactly the same thing.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 03 Nov 2021 14:48

CountryRoyal If we get relegated I'd bet on us dropping to League Two sooner than getting promoted.

Yep. With all the players we're going to lose in the summer, back to back relegations could be on the cards.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 03 Nov 2021 14:49

windermereROYAL

Why should we be any different to Wigan? they were up to their necks in the brown stuff when the owners did a runner but they are flying now and look like a good bet to bounce back up.

Yeh, and they stayed up by a point last season.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 03 Nov 2021 16:02

windermereROYAL

It’s the state of the squad. We only have around 8 of the current squad under contract next season. That includes Joao and Puscas. I can’t see either wanting to play in L1. We will be starting almost from scratch. It will be a monumental task to achieve anything especially as we will still be under a transfer embargo.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 03 Nov 2021 16:12

Zip
windermereROYAL

It’s the state of the squad. We only have around 8 of the current squad under contract next season. That includes Joao and Puscas. I can’t see either wanting to play in L1. We will be starting almost from scratch. It will be a monumental task to achieve anything especially as we will still be under a transfer embargo.

However from a financial standpoint, this could work out well, the worst thing would be to go down and have all these high earners on our books tied down on long contracts. As sure as hell we would struggle to get off our books if they weren't ooc.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal_jimmy » 03 Nov 2021 16:55

I imagine the EFL will lift the embargo as soon as our highest earners leave us

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 03 Nov 2021 17:57

I wouldn’t. Not saying we'd bounce back quickly, but it would take more monumental mismanagement for us to go to L2 than I think even Dai can manage.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 03 Nov 2021 18:31

Snowflake Royal

I wouldn’t. Not saying we'd bounce back quickly, but it would take more monumental mismanagement for us to go to L2 than I think even Dai can manage.

Interesting that Ron "name your price, the contracts yours" Gourley is controlling West Broms finances. Wonder what sort of salaries and contracts some of those players are on? If West Brom don't go back up and the para payments run out , gonna be interesting there.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 03 Nov 2021 18:36

Ascotexgunner
Snowflake Royal

Interesting that Ron "name your price, the contracts yours" Gourley is controlling West Broms finances. Wonder what sort of salaries and contracts some of those players are on? If West Brom don't go back up and the para payments run out , gonna be interesting there.

Also be interesting if things go ok there. Perhaps people might start spreading the blame here a little wider.

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 03 Nov 2021 19:30

I don't know why people think we would do badly in league one.

The financial problems the club have are only with FFP. Yes, getting relegated would mean that our highest paid would go, but they now represent a minority of our squad. We appear to have enough decent youth team players that we'd still be better than most of the teams in that league. So it's really just a question of whether we'd have a attitude problem - which I honestly don't think would be the case.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal_jimmy » 03 Nov 2021 20:11

Elm Park Kid I don't know why people think we would do badly in league one.

The financial problems the club have are only with FFP. Yes, getting relegated would mean that our highest paid would go, but they now represent a minority of our squad. We appear to have enough decent youth team players that we'd still be better than most of the teams in that league. So it's really just a question of whether we'd have a attitude problem - which I honestly don't think would be the case.

But our current crop of academy players are shit. Only 3 first team players are likely to still be with us would be Holmes, McIntyre and Southwood.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 03 Nov 2021 20:15

Elm Park Kid I don't know why people think we would do badly in league one.

How do you know our youth team players would be better than most of the teams in League One?

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal_jimmy » 03 Nov 2021 22:47

The fact remains that in our last 27 league games we've mustered just 29 points (7 wins and 8 draws and 14 defeats). Over 46 games that equates to a 49 point season which spells borderline relegation form. If going back since we beat Bournemouth 3-1 in January we've managed only 11 wins from our last 36. Not great!

This set of results is through managing a team with some great individual talent. Olise has shown he's a premier league player at Crystal Palace, John Swift is also a cut above in this league and probably should be in the premier league himself. Not to mention the other players we have who are very capable of holding their own at this level.

Injuries and transfer embargo aside we should be doing better than we are, even in these tough circumstances. He's been given time and he should be under pressure right now. He doesn't learn from mistakes and we rarely look convincing. I can't see Dai putting up with it much longer.

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 03 Nov 2021 23:12

Royal_jimmy The fact remains that in our last 27 league games we've mustered just 29 points (7 wins and 8 draws and 14 defeats). Over 46 games that equates to a 49 point season which spells borderline relegation form. If going back since we beat Bournemouth 3-1 in January we've managed only 11 wins from our last 36. Not great!

This set of results is through managing a team with some great individual talent. Olise has shown he's a premier league player at Crystal Palace, John Swift is also a cut above in this league and probably should be in the premier league himself. Not to mention the other players we have who are very capable of holding their own at this level.

Injuries and transfer embargo aside we should be doing better than we are, even in these tough circumstances. He's been given time and he should be under pressure right now. He doesn't learn from mistakes and we rarely look convincing. I can't see Dai putting up with it much longer.

Yeah. I’ve backed Pauno through bad form when others were calling for him to go. But it would have taken a lot of work and resources to bring in the likes of Rahman, Halilovic, Drinkwater, Dann and Dele-Bashiru; sought after players and other clubs in this league didn’t have the luxury of that calibre arrivals over the summer.

The Dais may look at the international break being the opportune time to send that P45.

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 04 Nov 2021 00:40

When we are relegated which will happen. It will be years before we get back. Leeds 5 years, Sheffield Utd 5 years, Forest 6 years Sunderland 4 years and counting. Pompey 10 years. These are much bigger better supported teams than us.

URZZZZZZZZ
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Long knocks it back in.............IT'S READING WHO TAKE A MASSIVE STEP TOWARDS WEMBLEY!!

by URZZZZZZZZ » 04 Nov 2021 07:14

windermereROYAL

Wigan lucked out because they were able to get taken over by what looks like a good owner (time will tell). Prior to that takeover however, they were well on course to League 2.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 04 Nov 2021 08:25

I'm still Paunovic in but mainly due to what the options are as his replacement. Garry Monk is out of work, Jonathan Woodgate is out of work as is Pulis. I do not want any of those men near the football club, it would be a complete disaster. Lets stick with Paunovic until his contract expires next summer and then part ways, there could be better options available then to help us rebuild.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 04 Nov 2021 08:34

Jackson Corner When we are relegated which will happen. It will be years before we get back. Leeds 5 years, Sheffield Utd 5 years, Forest 6 years Sunderland 4 years and counting. Pompey 10 years. These are much bigger better supported teams than us.

Being bigger or more supported teams has nothing to do with promotion, if anything it holds the clubs back because they think they don’t belong there and it takes them ages to realise that.

Also, if you’re saying we’re a smaller, not so well supported club, look at the 3 teams who came up this year, all smaller, not so well supported clubs…

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 04 Nov 2021 12:20

Hendo
Jackson Corner When we are relegated which will happen. It will be years before we get back. Leeds 5 years, Sheffield Utd 5 years, Forest 6 years Sunderland 4 years and counting. Pompey 10 years. These are much bigger better supported teams than us.

Being bigger or more supported teams has nothing to do with promotion, if anything it holds the clubs back because they think they don’t belong there and it takes them ages to realise that.

Also, if you’re saying we’re a smaller, not so well supported club, look at the 3 teams who came up this year, all smaller, not so well supported clubs…

Resources matter though. When we were last at that level, SJM had a lot of relative financial clout, and while we spent it well, it was instrumental in taking us up. The likes of Sunderland and Sheffield United should by virtue of attendances and fanbase be able to climb back out of L1 quickly, whereas I wouldn’t say the same for us.

3542 posts