MATCHWATCH : Bristol City (a)

470 posts
URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

Re: MATCHWATCH : Bristol City (a)

by URZZZZ » 09 Feb 2022 23:39

Snowflake Royal 1 more defeat to match the worst losing streaks we've had since I started as a fan in 95.

One 7 game streak under Bullivant /Burns
Two 7 game streaks under McDermott / Adkins in the same PL season.

Can Clowno stay and take it to 8?

Didn’t we lose 8 PL games in a row under Coppell - essentially relegating us that season?

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 09 Feb 2022 23:44

I guess losing 7/8 games in a row in the premier league competing against some of the biggest clubs in the world, doesn’t seem quite as depressing as losing 7 in a row in the second tier where we’ve literally just been punished for over-spending.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 09 Feb 2022 23:44

Zip
Notts Royal Pauno is slowly becoming our worst ever manager isn’t he. Completely deluded

He’s an embarrassment.

Shortened it for you

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 09 Feb 2022 23:45

CountryRoyal I guess losing 7/8 games in a row in the premier league competing against some of the biggest clubs in the world, doesn’t seem quite as depressing as losing 7 in a row in the second tier where we’ve literally just been punished for over-spending.

Have you forgotten we have injuries :roll:

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 09 Feb 2022 23:48

URZZZZ
CountryRoyal I guess losing 7/8 games in a row in the premier league competing against some of the biggest clubs in the world, doesn’t seem quite as depressing as losing 7 in a row in the second tier where we’ve literally just been punished for over-spending.

Have you forgotten we have injuries :roll:

Ooh and the embargo. Pauno had no chance bless him. Etc etc

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 10 Feb 2022 07:44

URZZZZ
Snowflake Royal 1 more defeat to match the worst losing streaks we've had since I started as a fan in 95.

Didn’t we lose 8 PL games in a row under Coppell - essentially relegating us that season?

Yes, didn't think we were that bad under Copp. Got a cup draw amongst them (and loss)

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 10 Feb 2022 08:45

Think we can count ourselves slightly unlucky not to have got a point there given the last 20 minutes. However, it wouldn't have been a surprise if Bristol had scored a third at some point in the game as they looked dangerous going forward due to our porous defence.

We lost that game in the first half in truth with wayward passes, poor closing down, all the usuals.

We won several free kicks in dangerous positions in the first half then poor delivery completely wasted them.

I know Swift has been off form lately but given the free kicks we did win, it would have been worth having him on the pitch just to take them really. A bold decision to drop him, which didn't work well.

Have to say the goalkeeper looked dodgy to me, spilling shots all over the place. Southwood may have identifiable weaknesses but still a better bet.
Last edited by Norfolk Royal on 10 Feb 2022 08:59, edited 1 time in total.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 10 Feb 2022 08:46

andrew1957 On the bright side there are 17 cup finals to go this season :D

Excellent, Reading always raise their game for cup ties.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 10 Feb 2022 08:53

Notts Royal Pauno is slowly becoming our worst ever manager isn’t he. Completely deluded

Can the club lodge a complaint under the trade description act ?

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 10 Feb 2022 09:08

Norfolk Royal Think we can count ourselves slightly unlucky not to have got a point there given the last 20 minutes. However, it wouldn't have been a surprise if Bristol had scored a third at some point in the game as they looked dangerous going forward due to our porous defence.

We lost that game in the first half in truth with wayward passes, poor closing down, all the usuals.

We won several free kicks in dangerous positions in the first half then poor delivery completely wasted them.

I know Swift has been off form lately but given the free kicks we did win, it would have been worth having him on the pitch just to take them really. A bold decision to drop him, which didn't work well.

I hope, though don't expect, that dropping Swift will give him a kick up the backside and get him back to something like the form he was showing early season. He'll be hoping for the best possible move in the summer and sitting on the bench isn't going to help him.

Same with Drinkwater - both were instrumental in our attacking play in the last 15.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 10 Feb 2022 09:09

I haven’t heard the full interview with Dellor yet, but I’ve just watched the official post Match on YouTube and it was painful.

This is why we keep losing, because the pcuntflap thinks we play well. Jesus oxf*rd Christ.

He needs to get in the bin. Awful man.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 10 Feb 2022 09:16

URZZZZ

The worst losing run in the league that I can find occurred in 1998

It is a run of 2 wins and 17 defeats from 19 games, the longest losing streaks being two 7 successive league games:

(Reading score first)

1. 07 Feb 98 - Tranmere (h) 1-3
  2. 17 Feb 98 - Sunderland (a) 1-4
  3. 21 Feb 98 - Portsmouth (h) 0-1
  4. 24 Feb 98 - Man C (h) 3-0
  5. 28 Feb 98 - Crewe (a) 0-1
  6. 03 Mar 98 - Stockport (a) 1-5
  7. 07 Mar 98 - Port Vale (h) 0-3
  8. 14 Mar 98 - Sheff U (a) 0-4
  9. 17 Mar 98 - Oxford (a) 0-3
  10. 21 Mar 98 - Huddersfield (h) 0-2
  11. 28 Mar 98 - Ipswich (a) 0-1
  12. 04 Apr 98 - Stoke (h) 2-0
  13. 10 Apr 98 - Charlton (a) 0-3
  14. 14 Apr 98 - Middlesbrough (h) 0-1
  15. 18 Apr 98 - Wolves (a) 1-3
  16. 26 Apr 98 - Forest (a) 0-1
  17. 03 May 98 - Norwich (h) 0-1
  18. 08 Aug 98 - Wrexham (a) 0-3
  19. 15 Aug 98 - Bristol R (a) 1-4
Last edited by Sutekh on 10 Feb 2022 09:19, edited 1 time in total.

Zammo
Hob Nob Addict

by Zammo » 10 Feb 2022 09:18

Everything has been said already, but one thing that got me last night was the lazy/slow/wayward passes. Especially in attacking positions.

Anyhoo, Pauno out.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 10 Feb 2022 09:22

I vividly remember going to that 1-5 defeat away to Stockport; mid week game in torrential, really cold rain, they were 4-0 up before half time; frankly, it was an embarassment watching it, and had Sockport not eased up at half time, they could - should - have got double figures against us.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 10 Feb 2022 09:28

Mr Angry it was an embarassment watching it, and had [insert generic club name] not eased up at half time, they could - should - have got double figures against us.

Applicable to many games this season.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 10 Feb 2022 09:31

Sutekh

Can the club lodge a complaint under the trade description act ?

I’m not sure we can. Sold as a nobody manager with a nothing history and no experience in the champ. I think we got what it said on the tin.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 10 Feb 2022 09:35

There's not really a lack of belief or desire to try and put things right. It wasn't the worst performance I have seen, although quite underwhelming for the first hour or so.

But Pauno has labelled the biggest issue we have in his post-match press conference, confidence. When he repeatedly refers to giving the ball away cheaply and then overreacting to the situation, it's all down to confidence. Obviously the manager takes a fair share of the blame because he will ultimately take responsibility for the results, the players also have to take a fair share of responsibility as well.

In fairness, I don't think what we are trying to do is wrong and I don't think the players think that either, but we just lack the confidence right now which is leading to these errors, giving the ball away easily and not reacting correctly. I don't think it's down to Pauno being a poor tactician, but it shows that a change needs to be made. I wouldn't expect any new manager to reinvent the wheel, I think the way we are trying to play is probably the best way for us to play, I think it just needs a new voice to come in and organise that and maybe give some different messages, discipline things in a different way and lift the team. I do think Pauno wasn't helped by the lack of attacking options to bring on in the last 15 minutes. If both Ejaria and Meite were on the bench, which I'd hope they will be soon, we could have brought them on and maybe got something.

Positives, the performance was improved and the effort and desire was there, particularly towards the end. Negatives, its another defeat.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 10 Feb 2022 10:02

Probably unpopular opinion but Ince was meh.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 10 Feb 2022 10:08

Millsy Probably unpopular opinion but Ince was meh.

rubbish for 70mins. Along with Swift led the late rally. Overall a 6 I'd say

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 10 Feb 2022 10:53

Stranded
Norfolk Royal Think we can count ourselves slightly unlucky not to have got a point there given the last 20 minutes. However, it wouldn't have been a surprise if Bristol had scored a third at some point in the game as they looked dangerous going forward due to our porous defence.

I hope, though don't expect, that dropping Swift will give him a kick up the backside and get him back to something like the form he was showing early season. He'll be hoping for the best possible move in the summer and sitting on the bench isn't going to help him.

Same with Drinkwater - both were instrumental in our attacking play in the last 15.

Thought it was not unreasonable to drop Swift given recent performances and actually thought it had the desired effect straight away and he looked way more positive

470 posts