Club statement

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Club statement

by Snowflake Royal » 12 Feb 2022 10:06

Sutekh
Forbury Lion
tidus_mi2 How many managers have resigned before exactly? I don't recall it happening a whole lot.
Steve Coppell resigned from Reading, then regretted it.

Think technically that SC didn’t choose to stay after his deal ran out rather than actually resigning.

Going back through the years Charlie Hurley was probably the last Reading manager to simply resign without another job to go to. Since then all the others have been sacked apart from Sir Steve, Quinn/Gooding (who the club decided not to offer a new contract), Mark McGhee (who resigned after being allowed to talk to Leicester) and Alan Pardew (who resigned after not being allowed to speak to West Ham).

Yep Coppell's contract ran out.

Although he did offer his resignation the season before and Madejski refused it.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 12 Feb 2022 10:10

Zip
Lower West
Zip

In fairness it’s a virtual sell out. Looks like only a few hundred tickets left so I don’t think it’s been done to add fans to the gate. Whatever we think about him he hasn’t been tight with the fans.

My seat will continue to remain empty. Season ticket sales in the summer are going to be the real test. As cheap as the product is. The overall experience doesn't warrant the outlay. In this financially challenging times.

Have you stopped going? If we go down ST’s will go through the floor.

Yep. Stay up and what's there to look forward to? The issues in the club are structural. Papering over them by opening the chequebook is no longer an option (actually a good thing in my view whatever the challenges it brings).

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 12 Feb 2022 10:16

Mr Angry Allardyce resigned from West Brom when they got relegated from the Premier League at the end of last season.

“West Bromwich Albion made me a generous offer to stay at The Hawthorns that shows the commitment of an ambitious club,” he said in a statement to the club’s official website on Wednesday night.

“After serious consideration I have decided not to accept that offer. If I were to stay and achieve promotion next season the expectation would be for me to continue for at least another season and, sadly, that is not a commitment I feel able to make at this stage of my career.

“I believe the club now needs stability and continuity and this would, in my opinion, best be provided by a young and ambitious manager"

8)

I don’t recall exactly (and I haven’t looked it up), but wasn’t that at the end of his contract rather than walking away mid-term ?

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 14 Feb 2022 11:43

Sutekh
Forbury Lion
tidus_mi2 How many managers have resigned before exactly? I don't recall it happening a whole lot.
Steve Coppell resigned from Reading, then regretted it.

Think technically that SC didn’t choose to stay after his deal ran out rather than actually resigning.
Maybe correct, I was just going by what SC said on the recent podcast chat with BM.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 14 Feb 2022 12:25

Snowflake Royal
Sutekh
Forbury Lion Steve Coppell resigned from Reading, then regretted it.

Going back through the years Charlie Hurley was probably the last Reading manager to simply resign without another job to go to. Since then all the others have been sacked apart from Sir Steve, Quinn/Gooding (who the club decided not to offer a new contract), Mark McGhee (who resigned after being allowed to talk to Leicester) and Alan Pardew (who resigned after not being allowed to speak to West Ham).

Although he did offer his resignation the season before and Madejski refused it.

Not quite correct. He announced he was going to leave, there was the famous "car park protest" and on the strength of that and the publicity he stayed. Oh, and his agent renegotiated his contract on the strength of it, too - so in that final year he was on better terms than he would have been in the Championship otherwise.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 14 Feb 2022 12:31

Dirk Gently
Snowflake Royal
Sutekh

Not quite correct. He announced he was going to leave, there was the famous "car park protest" and on the strength of that and the publicity he stayed. Oh, and his agent renegotiated his contract on the strength of it, too - so in that final year he was on better terms than he would have been in the Championship otherwise.

Mixing up my seasons, meant he offered his resignation in the PL. And yeah we persuaded him to stay another season afterwards.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 14 Feb 2022 15:57

so now knowing pauno resigned and the club didn't accept it makes this statement worse. They are clearly not listening to us.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 14 Feb 2022 16:05

Brogue so now knowing pauno resigned and the club didn't accept it makes this statement worse. They are clearly not listening to us.

Quite confusing.

Either they wanted an alternative lined up or something about getting EFL approval for it or something?

Surely they're not so ridiculously stupid that they want to keep him in the post.

Would Kia lose part of his cut if he's to be sacked? I don't get it.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 15 Feb 2022 13:03

So the events of the past few days can definitely make us all confident that they've learnt from mistakes as they say and will look to run the club competently and transparently

Eaststandman

by Eaststandman » 15 Feb 2022 13:13

WYR, brilliant!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: