Weekend Football

6238 posts
Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Weekend Football

by Franchise FC » 10 May 2022 09:31

Sanguine
Loafer We are all rooting for Wycombe aren't we

Absolutely. It was Wycombe in part who bumped Sunderland out of the play-offs on PPG during the COVID season, would love to see them condemn the Black Cats to another season in the third tier. Feel for Wednesday and Darren Moore, they played well last night and Gregory's goal was a beaut, but Sunderland always looked threatening going forward.

I have a feeling that Sunderland will see this as an opportunity to right a wrong (according to them)

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 10 May 2022 09:38

Watching last night made me wonder why a clash of heads like the one that saw Hutchinson going off with concussion aren't given as penalties. He clearly got to the ball first and the defender headbutted him. If that ball had been on the ground and Hutchinson had got his foot to the ball first and the defender had kicked him it would have been a penalty even if it was accidental.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 10 May 2022 09:44

6ft Kerplunk Watching last night made me wonder why a clash of heads like the one that saw Hutchinson going off with concussion aren't given as penalties. He clearly got to the ball first and the defender headbutted him. If that ball had been on the ground and Hutchinson had got his foot to the ball first and the defender had kicked him it would have been a penalty even if it was accidental.

Indeed, anywhere else on the pitch it’s a free kick, so yes I think it should be a penalty
That’s one that really gets my goat when you hear that there’s a higher tariff for fouls inside the penalty area compared to outside

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 10 May 2022 09:56

They headed eachother, you can't attribute blame and there was no intent.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 10 May 2022 10:04

I think there's a point to be had there, not something I'd really thought of before. Arrive half a second late for a tackle with your feet and it is given as a foul, but do the same with your head and it often isn't. Does feel a bit inconsistent.

Loafer
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Loafer » 10 May 2022 10:25

Sanguine Hadn't heard the 'weaker foot goals' stat, but was mentioned in commentary in the game against Liverpool that Son has more Premier League goals than anyone in the last three (I think) seasons if you exclude penalties. I know penalties still have to be scored, but it's a still a surprising stat, to me.

He does not really have a "weaker" foot per se, perfect example of a 2 footed player

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 10 May 2022 11:05

Loafer
Sanguine Hadn't heard the 'weaker foot goals' stat, but was mentioned in commentary in the game against Liverpool that Son has more Premier League goals than anyone in the last three (I think) seasons if you exclude penalties. I know penalties still have to be scored, but it's a still a surprising stat, to me.

He does not really have a "weaker" foot per se, perfect example of a 2 footed player

If a stat needs to involve the statistician to also make a judgement on what the person thinks, what their intention is etc then it has no value at all.

I quite like the with pens/without pens stat. Its tells you something about a significant part of the game and allows you to break it out to see how things would be if you removed it, as both with pen/without pen use different skillset

I used to get annoyed at the Ronaldo 'most goals as a winger' stats. It completely ignores tactics, how fluid positions can be and is based seemingly on Andy Gray putting Ronaldo out on the right on his match line up graphics

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 10 May 2022 11:13

loosely related - commentators who make a big deal of something for a player that I am sure that player doesn't care about. in particular scoring their first goal in a particular competition

'he will be glad to finally get his first FA cup goal' 5 months after joining a club and scoring a number of times in the league, league cup and Europe. I really not sure most goals have any significance outside of how important they are in that match at that time they are scored.

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 10 May 2022 11:36

Worse than that is commentators saying stuff like such and such a team going for their first win in this fixture for 10 years when you know the teams have been in different leagues for about 7 of them.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 10 May 2022 13:05

6ft Kerplunk Worse than that is commentators saying stuff like such and such a team going for their first win in this fixture for 10 years when you know the teams have been in different leagues for about 7 of them.

I heard one of those very recently when X had not won at Y for over 50 years.
Well, no shit. They haven’t been in the same division for the whole of that time

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 10 May 2022 14:27

Franchise FC
6ft Kerplunk Worse than that is commentators saying stuff like such and such a team going for their first win in this fixture for 10 years when you know the teams have been in different leagues for about 7 of them.

I heard one of those very recently when X had not won at Y for over 50 years.
Well, no shit. They haven’t been in the same division for the whole of that time

I don't like it when they use a timescale with Leeds in the PL, especially last season. Yes, of course they haven't done/beaten so and so for 18 years, they've been in different divisions for 17 of them.

BROB0T
Hob Nob Regular

by BROB0T » 11 May 2022 01:08

Winston Biscuit
Loafer

If a stat needs to involve the statistician to also make a judgement on what the person thinks, what their intention is etc then it has no value at all.

I quite like the with pens/without pens stat. Its tells you something about a significant part of the game and allows you to break it out to see how things would be if you removed it, as both with pen/without pen use different skillset

I used to get annoyed at the Ronaldo 'most goals as a winger' stats. It completely ignores tactics, how fluid positions can be and is based seemingly on Andy Gray putting Ronaldo out on the right on his match line up graphics

I recks* Mathematicians will be managers in the future. It's primarily an optimization problem.

The motivation bit comes from the coaches. Difficult to assess how important that is?

For example, give me the test that "team spirit" creates results and not the other way around

Most of the stats used are just shit you idiots can understand :wink:

They're hardly gonna go on about stochastic process, Markov Chains and the like

Loafer
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Loafer » 11 May 2022 06:25

BROB0T
Winston Biscuit
Loafer He does not really have a "weaker" foot per se, perfect example of a 2 footed player

I recks* Mathematicians will be managers in the future. It's primarily an optimization problem.

The motivation bit comes from the coaches. Difficult to assess how important that is?

For example, give me the test that "team spirit" creates results and not the other way around

You do talk some utter shite sometimes :lol:

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 11 May 2022 08:06

BROB0T
Winston Biscuit
Loafer He does not really have a "weaker" foot per se, perfect example of a 2 footed player

90's Bulgarian midfielder, right?

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 11 May 2022 09:01

Obviously a way off given it involves a very unlikely City defeat, but a potential play-off for the Premier League title is maybe as close as it has ever been.

If (say) Wolves somehow beat City 2-0 tonight, then City will top the table on goal difference, by one goal, with both teams having scored 89 goals this season, City conceding one fewer. Premier League rules are that teams are deemed to have tied for a place in the table if they can't be separated on goal difference or goals scored - unless that place is for the title, European qualification, or relegation, in which case a play-off at a neutral venue follows.

Of course City will tear Wolves a new one tonight and win 5-0, making this all moot.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 11 May 2022 09:05

West Ham away is the key game for City, not sure Wolves will offer much resistance in the form they are in. Seem to be on the beach.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 11 May 2022 10:27

NathStPaul West Ham away is the key game for City, not sure Wolves will offer much resistance in the form they are in. Seem to be on the beach.

Agreed, albeit I've found that bizarre. They still aren't mathematically out of the Europa League spot (although would have to beat both City and Liverpool).

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 11 May 2022 10:31

Sanguine
NathStPaul West Ham away is the key game for City, not sure Wolves will offer much resistance in the form they are in. Seem to be on the beach.

Agreed, albeit I've found that bizarre. They still aren't mathematically out of the Europa League spot (although would have to beat both City and Liverpool).

Weird they didn't invest in January, had a really good first half of the season and the manager seemed to have settled well. I am not going to rule out Ronaldo going there in the summer should he leave United.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 11 May 2022 20:18

Leeds desperately pushing the self-destruct button … again

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 11 May 2022 20:24

Bloody hell
Wolves aren’t just on the beach, but they’ve been downing jugs of sangria

6238 posts