Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Likes and dislikes

by Dirk Gently » 24 May 2022 09:40

From Despair To Where?
fartdad
Green Dislike - because of the fans:
Brighton

:?:

They're the biggest club in Europe, don't you know? Even when they were playing in front of 4,000 people at the Withdean.

I've got nothing against Brighton particularly but their fans have serious delusions of grandeur.

Their beef with Palace about who's the bigger club is quite hilarious though and all seems to hinge around a 3rd Division game in the mid 70s.

Leeds would have taken more...

Now that is a club and a set of fans I do actively dislike.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 24 May 2022 11:33

From Despair To Where?
fartdad
Green Dislike - because of the fans:
Brighton

:?:

They're the biggest club in Europe, don't you know? Even when they were playing in front of 4,000 people at the Withdean.

I've got nothing against Brighton particularly but their fans have serious delusions of grandeur.

Their beef with Palace about who's the bigger club is quite hilarious though and all seems to hinge around a 3rd Division game in the mid 70s.

Don't get the big dislike for Brighton.
It is a club that I rather admire for the way they have built back up from the closed Goldstone and lower league football via Gillingham and Withdean to a mid-table Premier League position and a good-looking new stadium along the way.

Having said that, I can fully understand that fans dislike fans of other clubs because of their personal experiences.
I can never like Cardiff because of being forced back into the Mad Stad with my daughter to shelter from the stone and brick throwing of their lot -a day when I asked a copper to borrow his protective shield for my daughter (obviously he didn't let me have it) when this was all going on as he cowered and did nothing to protect us or face up to the yobs.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 27 May 2022 21:27

South Coast Royal
From Despair To Where?
fartdad :?:

Don't get the big dislike for Brighton.

It really just stems from their fans' attitude in 2002, when both clubs were pushing for promotion.

Losing The Goldstone seemed to give their fans a weird sense of very rose-tinted spectacles of what games were like there most weeks. Rather than being home to about 8000 in the second tier, you'd have thought they were getting 26,000 every week. Lots of talk about how the tiny Madejski wouldn't be anywhere near big enough for them etc.

Of course, when you had people gaining most of their views of other clubs' fans from cesspits like Rivals.net, antogonism is hardly surprising.

Personally I don't get the hate for Leeds. There's nothing loveable about the club, but they're just another biggish northern big club of no significance to Reading.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 27 May 2022 22:38

Try living near Leeds. You'll understand. Thuggish, arrogant and ignorant fans.

Loafer
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Loafer » 28 May 2022 08:10

God Liverpool fans will be insufferable if they win

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 28 May 2022 09:12

Loafer God Liverpool fans will be insufferable if they win

They will be insufferable to you if they don't win. They are about to win a treble, they aren't exactly going to just forget about it and move on the next day.

Loafer
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Loafer » 28 May 2022 09:38

Orion1871

They will be insufferable to you if they don't win. They are about to win a treble, they aren't exactly going to just forget about it and move on the next day.

:roll:

BROB0T
Hob Nob Regular

by BROB0T » 28 May 2022 18:30

Orion1871

:lol:

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 29 May 2022 09:45

Dislikes - recent thing of people describing any kind of non win at all as 'bottling it'

Loafer
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Loafer » 29 May 2022 11:05

Winston Biscuit Dislikes - recent thing of people describing any kind of non win at all as 'bottling it'

Well it depends what kind of non win

Ie
Wrexham..... they bottled the oxf*rd out of everything considering the resources they have

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 29 May 2022 13:34

Dislike - the way some British pundits have only just noticed Benzema and so are now compensating by going way overboard, in the same way they did with Pirlo (which itself has been discussed on here before)

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 07 Jun 2022 21:04

tmesis cesspits like Rivals.net

Lolz. And not disagreeing.

Still a few alumni knocking around on here if you look closely enough :?

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 09 Jun 2022 12:45

Winston Biscuit Dislikes - recent thing of people describing any kind of non win at all as 'bottling it'

100%. I tend to read the term 'bottled' or 'choked' and just assume that the contributor is simple.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 09 Jun 2022 13:09

Sanguine

100%. I tend to read the term 'bottled' or 'choked' and just assume that the contributor is simple.

Interestingly I heard a football journo on a podcast say something similar to this about an hour ago. Their issue was that social media has this whole 'who's the best'/GOAT*/stats thing which means youngsters are growing up with this mentality of people being either the very best, or absolute sh*t.

*another for the dislike list

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 10 Jun 2022 20:33

Sanguine

Is there a term you would deem acceptable for someone (or a team) who's competed well below their ability level due to the pressure of the occasion?

It's just part of the football lexicon isn't it - sick as a parrot etc

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 11 Jun 2022 19:32

Green
Sanguine

Is there a term you would deem acceptable for someone (or a team) who's competed well below their ability level due to the pressure of the occasion?

Underperformed. underachieved, failed to live up to expectations?
Nah, "bottled it" is ok IMHO.

BROB0T
Hob Nob Regular

by BROB0T » 11 Jun 2022 21:55

South Coast Royal
Green
Sanguine

Underperformed. underachieved, failed to live up to expectations?
Nah, "bottled it" is ok IMHO.

safe to say that mentality monsters LFC 'bottled' it this season

(and indeed most seasons since football began in 1992)

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 11 Jun 2022 22:32

Oh to join the Man U (Surrey based) Fanatic Faction (MUFF).

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 12 Jun 2022 07:09

I think what Brobers is saying is that to bottle it, you have to be in contention in the first place.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 12 Jun 2022 07:28

Green
Sanguine

What you are describing there is bottling it. My dislike was anyone losing at something being described as bottling it no matter how the loss came about