The Manager Sack Race/Merry-go-Round

8886 posts
Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

Re: The Manager Sack Race/Merry-go-Round

by Winston Biscuit » 07 Oct 2022 13:53

Lopategui sacked by Sevilla and now favourite for the Wolves job

Was listening to something earlier on it and they said how praised Lopategui has been sticking around at Sevilla rather than walking away, as they are in a mess behind the scenes, and he managed them on Wednesday night having been told he was going to be out the door, and everyone knew this. fans gave him a great send off at the final whistle

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 07 Oct 2022 15:04

Sanguine Mark Hughes is quietly doing a decent job at Bradford in League Two. He lost his first two games, since when the club has 11 league wins, 6 draws and 5 defeats. Crazy that it's nearly 20 years since they were at Championship level.

They've been run poorly for basically all that amount of time, nearly facing administration after they were relegated from the PL, spent little time in the Championship and haven't returned since.

Massive ground hasn't really helped them either as it'd a big upkeep and their revenue stream isn't that good despite the crowds they get. When they reached the L1 PO's consecutively a few seasons ago, I remember their better players ended up moving to their rivals and doubling their wages. It was rumoured that Rory McArdle moved to PO rivals Scunthorpe and doubled his wage to £4k a week... so they were never going to sustain it.

I think their season tickets in some areas can work out at as low as £131 for the entire season and the average price is about £155-ish. So essentially 8 Reading games (for away fans due to 20 is plenty scheme) is a season ticket at Bradford. Good for incoming crowds, poor for revenue which is why they've never been able to afford to keep their best players, attract the best players as they money was too low and subsequently plummeted out of L1 and been in the abyss in L2 until recently.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 07 Oct 2022 15:13

paultheroyal This will make it very interesting. WBA were waiting for Cooper to go before they sack Bruce and Middlesboro moved to get Wilder out and waiting for Cooper to come in - now that is not happening.

WBA options are limited unless they go old school i.e. Dyche etc.

Boro will probably go for a Terry or a Carrick perhaps.

I was thinking Carrick to Boro, Terry to WBA. No way Dyche takes a Championship job.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 07 Oct 2022 15:20

Pepe the Horseman
paultheroyal This will make it very interesting. WBA were waiting for Cooper to go before they sack Bruce and Middlesboro moved to get Wilder out and waiting for Cooper to come in - now that is not happening.

WBA options are limited unless they go old school i.e. Dyche etc.

Boro will probably go for a Terry or a Carrick perhaps.

I was thinking Carrick to Boro, Terry to WBA. No way Dyche takes a Championship job.

Thought the favourites at Boro was both Rob Edwards and Gary O'Neil, depending on his situation at Bournemouth?

Michael O'Neill might not be a bad shout for Boro really, could probably do well there.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 08 Oct 2022 13:06

Big game for Gary O'Neill today.

If Bournemouth beat Leicester I think he will get the Bournemouth job for the rest of the season-lose and Middlesboro might be a good choice for him even though, for family reasons, he would prefer to stay down South.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 08 Oct 2022 13:15

YorkshireRoyal99
Sanguine Mark Hughes is quietly doing a decent job at Bradford in League Two. He lost his first two games, since when the club has 11 league wins, 6 draws and 5 defeats. Crazy that it's nearly 20 years since they were at Championship level.

They've been run poorly for basically all that amount of time, nearly facing administration after they were relegated from the PL, spent little time in the Championship and haven't returned since.

Massive ground hasn't really helped them either as it'd a big upkeep and their revenue stream isn't that good despite the crowds they get. When they reached the L1 PO's consecutively a few seasons ago, I remember their better players ended up moving to their rivals and doubling their wages. It was rumoured that Rory McArdle moved to PO rivals Scunthorpe and doubled his wage to £4k a week... so they were never going to sustain it.

I think their season tickets in some areas can work out at as low as £131 for the entire season and the average price is about £155-ish. So essentially 8 Reading games (for away fans due to 20 is plenty scheme) is a season ticket at Bradford. Good for incoming crowds, poor for revenue which is why they've never been able to afford to keep their best players, attract the best players as they money was too low and subsequently plummeted out of L1 and been in the abyss in L2 until recently.

Their pay on the day prices are as expensive as Blackburn or Burnley so no casual supporter who fancies taking in a game is going to pick League 2 when you have The Chanpionship or, until this season, The Premiership 45 minutes away.

When I worked in Bradford, I used to constantly make that point to Bradford supporting colleagues when they asked if I wanted to go to a City game.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 09 Oct 2022 18:44

From Despair To Where?
YorkshireRoyal99

Their pay on the day prices are as expensive as Blackburn or Burnley so no casual supporter who fancies taking in a game is going to pick League 2 when you have The Chanpionship or, until this season, The Premiership 45 minutes away.

When I worked in Bradford, I used to constantly make that point to Bradford supporting colleagues when they asked if I wanted to go to a City game.

Even still with how cheap the season ticket prices are, if you were planning on only going to half of the games you'd be better off buying a season ticket.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 09 Oct 2022 19:09

At the time, I was a season ticket holder at Reading and went to about half the away games as we'll. There were Leeds, Man Utd and Liverpool fans inthe office who all said the same thing. "Not paying £25-30 for League 2 football"

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 10 Oct 2022 09:48

Steve Bruce sacked

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 10 Oct 2022 10:30

Winston Biscuit Steve Bruce sacked

Great news. Not!

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 10 Oct 2022 11:24

Winston Biscuit Steve Bruce sacked

No coincidence that once Cooper stays, WBA had to move and do something. Gourlay / Terry combo incoming?

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 10 Oct 2022 11:25

Liverpool just look flat, tired, one dimensional. Surely it cant be all Mane can it? Dont think they have bought very well, been incredibly loyal to some players and now getting found out and exposed.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 10 Oct 2022 11:25

A classic from Richard Jolly:
West Brom, whose managers from 1975 to 1988 (apart from Nobby Stiles) were Johnny, Ronnie, John, Ron, Ronnie, Ron, Johnny, Ron and Ron, sack their management team of Steve, Steve, Stephen and Alex, Steve's son.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 10 Oct 2022 13:53

paultheroyal Liverpool just look flat, tired, one dimensional. Surely it cant be all Mane can it? Dont think they have bought very well, been incredibly loyal to some players and now getting found out and exposed.

Liverpool are too well run for their own good. They were rumoured to be after Haaland last season but didn’t want to pay silly money and instead they went for Nunez who seems - at the moment - to be a bit of a waste of money. Add to that the injury problems they keep having and STILL not having a squad with the depth of Man City and you can see why the PL title is probably already beyond them this season. Honestly think that if they don’t pull off a CL miracle this season then they’re not even going to be in it next year which will make recruitment very difficult at a time when the club really will need to be overhauling it’s squad.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 13 Oct 2022 17:07

Marcelo Gallardo has announced he is not renewing his contract so will be leaving River Plate at the end of the season.

8 years at River, already their most successful manager ever, apparently has a very attacking exciting style of football.

Lots of big clubs in Europe will be looking to move for him

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 14 Oct 2022 10:18

Sounds like Nuno is keen on a return to Wolves :|

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 14 Oct 2022 15:34

RG30 Sounds like Nuno is keen on a return to Wolves :|

Listening to a lot of comments on this, it seems like Wolves may take more comfort going back to someone who was mainly successful and established them back in the PL and in Europe/top-half as well. However, they did let him go without much fuss at the end of his contract after a slightly disappointing season.

I can see it working for 18-24 months before the same problems arise again like it did the first time. However, for any club who may be fearing their PL status, despite how relatively early we are in the season, having a manager you'd regard as someone who will be capable of steadying the ship is about as good as you can get.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 15 Oct 2022 21:56

JUVENTUS are set to sack manager Max Allegri with Antonio Conte and Mauricio Pochettino favourites to replace him, according to reports.

Loafer
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Loafer » 16 Oct 2022 06:30

Can't see conte leaving spurs

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 16 Oct 2022 23:33

Spoke to a parent of one of the wba players on Saturday, basically Bruce was “liked” by most of the players but had very old fashioned views and seen as a bit of a dinosaur.

Dyche appears to be a done deal from what he was saying. I did hear he was at the game but not sure if that was true.

8886 posts