Old Reading Bottles.

karbota
Hob Nob Regular

Old Reading Bottles.

by karbota » 07 Dec 2022 21:44

I have a few old bottles found mostly amongst dredgings from the Loddon a few years back, a Tunbridge Jones marble bottle plus a stone ginger beer bottle Wise and Mitchell amongst the most interesting. Any interest willing to swap for pre-1950 Reading FC programmes.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Old Reading Bottles.

by AthleticoSpizz » 10 Dec 2022 21:45

Can’t help you here, but very interesting nonetheless.

Picked up a 1930s Bovril jar near (what they used to call, ‘Shitty Ditch’ near the Kennet) many years back), it used to be a good hunting ground for that kind’ve thing….given that it used to be the Old Reading tip

Cantrell & Cotterill (C&C) used to be a local fizzy pop manufacturer based in Whitley iirc…plenty of their bottles still around.

karbota
Hob Nob Regular

by karbota » 12 Dec 2022 19:11

AthleticoSpizz Can’t help you here, but very interesting nonetheless.

Picked up a 1930s Bovril jar near (what they used to call, ‘Shitty Ditch’ near the Kennet) many years back), it used to be a good hunting ground for that kind’ve thing….given that it used to be the Old Reading tip

Cantrell & Cotterill (C&C) used to be a local fizzy pop manufacturer based in Whitley iirc…plenty of their bottles still around.

Thanks, Spizz have you got any old RFC programmes?

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 12 Dec 2022 19:14

Nah…binned them off, oxf*rd supporting mice got to them.

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 12 Dec 2022 20:15

I get the local interest and who knows, if it's gonna happen maybe this is the forum to make it so. But a like for like swap seems unlikely for two such niche interests to me - if either have any value I'd suggest the sellers go to the usual outlets.

karbota
Hob Nob Regular

by karbota » 16 Dec 2022 10:13

Green I get the local interest and who knows, if it's gonna happen maybe this is the forum to make it so. But a like for like swap seems unlikely for two such niche interests to me - if either have any value I'd suggest the sellers go to the usual outlets.

Would also consider buying any pre-1940 Reading programmes.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 20 Aug 2024 12:08

If you're not claustrophobic, lookout for when they next to an organised walk under Reading along the Holy Brook, from past videos (see youtube) and written accounts they came accross loads of old bottles. Obviously ignore all the modern ones which may have fallen in around the back of the Turtle.

I also recall when they were doing some building work on the RBH they found loads of old glass medicine bottles and stuff which had just been chucked out of windows or something.