MATCHWATCH : Watford (h)

138 posts
LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: MATCHWATCH : Watford (h)

by LUX » 08 Jan 2023 10:35

Things are clearly not right with Joao at Reading. My best guess is he’ll go somewhere else, like QPR, and score 20 goals a season.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 08 Jan 2023 11:08

Personally, I think Joao is one of the best strikers we’ve had. I’m sure when we signed him from Wednesday their fans also felt that he could be lazy, disinterested but brilliant at times. Let’s face it if he brought his A game to every match he’d be playing for a top side in the Premiership or Europe by now.

May be he needs a fresh start somewhere else where initially he’ll be more prolific but then probably revert back to his usual pattern of play.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 08 Jan 2023 11:42

Good to get a Cup win and pleased that Ince put out what wasn't far off being a first team.
One for Sangers, what is the largest squad number total used in a game?
Watford had players numbered in the 40s and 50s and at one stage I reckon the total was around 300.

As for the game, good to see Abrefa get his first goal even if generally his crossing wasn't very good.

One disappointment was the number of times players were caught in possession-guilty parties included Sarr (is he too casual for a centre-back?),Mbengue,Abrefa, Loum and Tommy Mac.
Fortunately playing against Watford's 3rd team it didn't matter but on other days.......................

Although delighted for the boy that he scored a goal I fear that defensively Abrefa has some way to go but we said the same about Omar Richards so hopefully if he gets games he will improve.

So, in the hat for a game away at Preston or Accrington or somewhere similar probably but, as my brother suggested to me yesterday, this team with a lot of experience and ability (albeit maybe waning) might do well in a one-off game against a good team.
For Carroll's sake I wanted it to be Newcastle but , even with a strong side, they couldn't get past a Sheffield Wednesday without Barry Bannan, their best player.
Maybe they are not quite ready to conquer Europe yet.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 08 Jan 2023 11:47

blythspartan Personally, I think Joao is one of the best strikers we’ve had. I’m sure when we signed him from Wednesday their fans also felt that he could be lazy, disinterested but brilliant at times. Let’s face it if he brought his A game to every match he’d be playing for a top side in the Premiership or Europe by now.

May be he needs a fresh start somewhere else where initially he’ll be more prolific but then probably revert back to his usual pattern of play.

Potential to be better than Kitson, but form a bit more streaky. That six months a couple of years ago was the best I've ever seen from any Reading striker.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 08 Jan 2023 12:56

Snowflake Royal
blythspartan Personally, I think Joao is one of the best strikers we’ve had. I’m sure when we signed him from Wednesday their fans also felt that he could be lazy, disinterested but brilliant at times. Let’s face it if he brought his A game to every match he’d be playing for a top side in the Premiership or Europe by now.

Potential to be better than Kitson, but form a bit more streaky. That six months a couple of years ago was the best I've ever seen from any Reading striker.

Nick Blackman’s brief stellar run probably tops Joao - every goal a cleat Goal Of the Season winner…

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 08 Jan 2023 13:14

Yesterdays opponents excepted - teams going a bit stronger this year in the cup? Seems most teams have 5-6 first Teamers playing at least

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 08 Jan 2023 13:34

Hound Yesterdays opponents excepted - teams going a bit stronger this year in the cup? Seems most teams have 5-6 first Teamers playing at least

I think the WC break is tempting clubs to play stronger teams as players are generally fresher.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 08 Jan 2023 13:34

AthleticoSpizz
Snowflake Royal
AthleticoSpizz ‘Past it’ at 30

No hope for us

Harry Kane is 29 btw, only a couple of months separate them

Not past it, but a player's prime is firmly mid-late 20s, and he's at the end of that. Don't worry, you can still be a competent crotchety engineer in your 60s, we're not saying you're long past it because you're over 30..
you don’t do tongue in cheek do you Ian?

Ronaldo 37

Messi 35.5

Modric 37

Silva 37? 38?

Who are the oldest footballers ever?

Ezzeldin Bahader -74 years
Isaak Hayik –74 years
Robert Carmona -59 years

Who are the oldest footballers in the Premier League in 2022?

Lee Grant- 39 years
Ben Foster- 39 years
Andy Lonergan- 38 years

Who are the oldest footballers in Europe?

Joaquín Sánchez Rodríguez- 40 years (Real Betis, La Liga)
Bruno Alves-40 years, Apollon Smyrins (Greek Super League)
Zlatan Ibrahimovic- 40 years: Ac Milan (Serie A)

Read more: https://sportsbrief.com/facts/top-listi ... ying-2022/

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 08 Jan 2023 13:37

AthleticoSpizz
Snowflake Royal
AthleticoSpizz ‘Past it’ at 30

No hope for us

Harry Kane is 29 btw, only a couple of months separate them

Not past it, but a player's prime is firmly mid-late 20s, and he's at the end of that. Don't worry, you can still be a competent crotchety engineer in your 60s, we're not saying you're long past it because you're over 30..
you don’t do tongue in cheek do you Ian?

I take you seriously Spizz. :wink:

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 08 Jan 2023 14:41

….you are very much a ‘collectors item’ Ian :)

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 08 Jan 2023 16:36

AthleticoSpizz ….you are very much a ‘collectors item’ Ian :)

Presumably so rare I'm too expensive for anyone to want.

Although a fair few seem to be after my scalp.

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 08 Jan 2023 16:43

Bilic
" He [Bacuna] was getting himself into a rhythm after signing last month, and his best game was last time out against Norwich so this was an ideal opportunity for him to get another 45 minutes," said Bilic post match. "For him to get injured as quickly as he did is strange, impossible and unacceptable.
"I’m not a doctor or a physio, but this situation is affecting me the most, and I want answers. We can’t just keep saying it’s unlucky, unlucky, unlucky. We’re going to have a meeting about this, because it’s clear we need to change things

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 08 Jan 2023 17:00

Royals and Racers Bilic
" He [Bacuna] was getting himself into a rhythm after signing last month, and his best game was last time out against Norwich so this was an ideal opportunity for him to get another 45 minutes," said Bilic post match. "For him to get injured as quickly as he did is strange, impossible and unacceptable.
"I’m not a doctor or a physio, but this situation is affecting me the most, and I want answers. We can’t just keep saying it’s unlucky, unlucky, unlucky. We’re going to have a meeting about this, because it’s clear we need to change things

If he gets some answers maybe he could share them with Reading who seem content to keep saying 'it's unlucky, unlucky, unlucky' with little changing.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 08 Jan 2023 17:05

Snowflake Royal
AthleticoSpizz ….you are very much a ‘collectors item’ Ian :)

Presumably so rare I'm too expensive for anyone to want.

Although a fair few seem to be after my scalp.
as long as it’s only your scalp they’re after :wink:

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 08 Jan 2023 17:16

RoyalBlue
Royals and Racers Bilic

If he gets some answers maybe he could share them with Reading who seem content to keep saying 'it's unlucky, unlucky, unlucky' with little changing.

Don’t think even we have ever had 15 injured tbh. Maybe 12 or 13

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 08 Jan 2023 19:25

Hound
RoyalBlue
Royals and Racers Bilic

13 by OCTOBER :shock: 2021

Araruna
Azeez
Halilovic
Hoilett
Holmes
Joao
McIntyre
Meite
Moore
Morrison
Rinomhota
Tetek
Yiadom

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 08 Jan 2023 20:00

Sutekh
Hound
RoyalBlue

Araruna
Azeez
Halilovic
Hoilett
Holmes
Joao
McIntyre
Meite
Moore
Morrison
Rinomhota
Tetek
Yiadom

8)

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 08 Jan 2023 20:31

Sutekh
Hound
RoyalBlue

Araruna
Azeez
Halilovic
Hoilett
Holmes
Joao
McIntyre
Meite
Moore
Morrison