Division one things to forward to……..

483 posts
Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Division one things to forward to……..

by Hound » 08 Apr 2023 10:54

Snowflake Royal I'll say it again, we've got the base of a good, fairly cheap, L1 squad to build from with what we have left.

GK: ???, Andresson, CBC
RB: Yiadom, Abrefa
LB: Guiness-Walker, Clarke
CB: Holmes, ????, Dorsett
CB: McIntyre, Sarr, Abbey
CM: ????, Craig, Leavy
CM: ????, Osorio
RF: Azeez, ????
LF: Ince, Camara
ST: Carroll, Ehibhatiomhan, Clarke

6/7 decent L1 signings would do it.

Of those we might be able to extend Hoilett could offer something, Mbengue would be an asset, Long could be of value. A fit Hutchinson would be decent, not sure on his contract.

I'm ignoring Meite and Joao as they're too good and expensive to sign on for L1.

Yeah Scott and Senga two more young players who would be in the mix

Your mate Ejaria may still be around. Bouzanis on a long contract for GK.

It wouldn’t take much to fill in the gaps and have a decent L1 side

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 08 Apr 2023 10:56

Hound
Snowflake Royal I'll say it again, we've got the base of a good, fairly cheap, L1 squad to build from with what we have left.

GK: ???, Andresson, CBC
RB: Yiadom, Abrefa
LB: Guiness-Walker, Clarke
CB: Holmes, ????, Dorsett
CB: McIntyre, Sarr, Abbey
CM: ????, Craig, Leavy
CM: ????, Osorio
RF: Azeez, ????
LF: Ince, Camara
ST: Carroll, Ehibhatiomhan, Clarke

6/7 decent L1 signings would do it.

Of those we might be able to extend Hoilett could offer something, Mbengue would be an asset, Long could be of value. A fit Hutchinson would be decent, not sure on his contract.

I'm ignoring Meite and Joao as they're too good and expensive to sign on for L1.

Yeah Scott and Senga two more young players who would be in the mix

Your mate Ejaria may still be around. Bouzanis on a long contract for GK.

It wouldn’t take much to fill in the gaps and have a decent L1 side

Good shout on Scott and Senga. I was trying to name players who'd be an asset, I suppose Bouzanis would be ok for the bench.

JedMaxwell

by JedMaxwell » 08 Apr 2023 10:58

Regardless of whether we stay up (and I think we have a chance) we need next season to be one where we look to sign players who have something to prove, and a bit of humility. That's what we've always had before but something that's been missing these past years.

Tantamount to any success is the manager though. I just don't think Ince is good enough to be a manager at this level, or even League One, and I can't see him taking us forward. I've no idea who could come in instead to be honest, but I think that's the crucial change over the summer.

If we do go down, I think we're better prepared to survive it as, as stated above, the big earners won't be around and we should have some good youngsters to bulk up the squad. Historically the lower divisions were our level, and it may well be the kind of kick up the arse the club as a whole needs to try and get back into the Championship, and be competitive. We'll see.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 08 Apr 2023 11:00

Not being an expert on tbe u21 team but I think Osorio will be released. Maybe Leavy as well. Not sure on the length of their current deals mind you.

Holzman seems to be reasonably rated but haven’t been massively impressed when I’ve watched him

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal_jimmy » 08 Apr 2023 11:13

Sutekh
Getthebeerens Obviously getting relegated would be a disaster, but I don’t fear League 1. We just have to face facts, that is the level we have been playing at.

I hope it gives us the opportunity to lead with more of our younger players in the squad & actually build something over a longer period.

Have to say that that is the upside and with being able to trade properly again the ability to mix those youngsters with 2/3 brighter lower division prospects experienced at those levels and hungry to get on might well make for something worth watching after a decade if utter ******* shyte. Have to find a manager with new ideas and ambition to go with it though - sort of another Alan Pardew.

Everything else about it both sucks and blows chunks at the same time though.

Sounds perfect but then I don't trust Dai to bring any good man in. We're more likely to drop further or stagnate in midtable with him owning us.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 08 Apr 2023 11:14

Royal_jimmy
Sutekh
Getthebeerens Obviously getting relegated would be a disaster, but I don’t fear League 1. We just have to face facts, that is the level we have been playing at.

I hope it gives us the opportunity to lead with more of our younger players in the squad & actually build something over a longer period.

Have to say that that is the upside and with being able to trade properly again the ability to mix those youngsters with 2/3 brighter lower division prospects experienced at those levels and hungry to get on might well make for something worth watching after a decade if utter ******* shyte. Have to find a manager with new ideas and ambition to go with it though - sort of another Alan Pardew.

Sounds perfect but then I don't trust Dai to bring any good man in. We're more likely to drop further or stagnate in midtable with him owning us.

Midtable L1 >>>>>> Championship relegation fights constantly.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal_jimmy » 08 Apr 2023 11:16

blythspartan
Hound It really isn’t the end of the world

Be disappointing but end of the day we’ll still be able to to and watch a football match, hopefully with a far higher win percentage than the last decade or so

We’ve got all the high earners off the books, the EFL can hopefully leave us alone, got hopefully a bit of a structure again and some decent looking young players coming through

2 years or so ago it’d been an utter disaster with long expensive contracts on the books. Not so now

And actually the likes of Yiadom, Holmes, McIntyre, Fornah and Lumley if they stay, NGW are probably good div1 players rather than champ players

And I certainly won’t lose sleep over losing Moore, Joao, Meite, Hoilett, Dann, Loum etc in the summer

+1

Not sure Lumley would stay. Fornah might not want to drop a division as a youngster. Holmes, McIntyre and Yiadom would stay out of loyalty but the last 2 are league 1 players at best anyway.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal_jimmy » 08 Apr 2023 11:24

Snowflake Royal
Royal_jimmy
Sutekh

Think I'd rather stay where we are than be average at a poorer level tbh

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 08 Apr 2023 11:25

Royal_jimmy
Snowflake Royal
Royal_jimmy

Agree. Don't really understand that argument either, I suppose Burnley will be rather unhappy that they've gone up...

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 08 Apr 2023 11:34

Relegation to League 2.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 08 Apr 2023 11:46

YorkshireRoyal99
Royal_jimmy
Snowflake Royal Midtable L1 >>>>>> Championship relegation fights constantly.

Agree. Don't really understand that argument either, I suppose Burnley will be rather unhappy that they've gone up...

I’d rather we stay up but if we survive this season can you honestly see us surviving next season in the Championship? Based on the last few years I don’t see it. Yes, the embargo will be lifted but it’s not like we’ll only need to add 2 or 3 players to the squad to turnaround our fortunes, and I have no faith in Ince anymore.

I think our academy players, with a few proven league one players and maybe a couple of premiership youngsters could do well in League One. We could have youngsters that are good enough for the Premiership if given the chance to play, and if we can mould them into a TEAM that has an identity who knows what we could achieve.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 08 Apr 2023 12:03

paddy20 Clearly most of you have never experienced what its like in the lower divisions

I remember the playoff semi final win against Wigan, the draw at Brentford when we got promoted, a 3-0 away at win at Port Vale to win the division 4 title and beating Wolves 1-0 in the League Cup. Plus, many other great experiences.

However, other than seeing us get to a playoff final playing some of the most awful football I have ever seen (the game at home to Sunderland springs to mind) and the FA Cup semi final not a lot else springs to mind for years now.

The Royal Forester
Hob Nob Regular

by The Royal Forester » 08 Apr 2023 12:10

Jackson Corner Papa Johns cup the only cup delivered by moped.
No goal line technology
Being knocked out in the first round of the cup by Maidenhead United
Carlisle away
One maybe two local derbies
Eamon Dolan stand closed down
Regular gates under 10k
Waiting till 10:30 at night to catch camcorder highlights on ITV 4

I would add the following:-
Dai giving up and try to sell the club.
Nobody will buy a broken club that would cost umpteen millions to repay Dai's debts
Dai lets the club go broke
Saturday afternoons sitting at home thinking " Why did we stop Thames Valley United-sorry Royals"
or Saturday afternoons at the County Ground or Kassam Stadium.
No not for me, I would rather stay where we are.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 08 Apr 2023 12:19

blythspartan
YorkshireRoyal99
Royal_jimmy

I’d rather we stay up but if we survive this season can you honestly see us surviving next season in the Championship? Based on the last few years I don’t see it. Yes, the embargo will be lifted but it’s not like we’ll only need to add 2 or 3 players to the squad to turnaround our fortunes, and I have no faith in Ince anymore.

I think our academy players, with a few proven league one players and maybe a couple of premiership youngsters could do well in League One. We could have youngsters that are good enough for the Premiership if given the chance to play, and if we can mould them into a TEAM that has an identity who knows what we could achieve.

If we stay up we’ll need an entirely new team to survive next year

The Royal Forester
Hob Nob Regular

by The Royal Forester » 08 Apr 2023 12:19

blythspartan
paddy20 Clearly most of you have never experienced what its like in the lower divisions

I remember the playoff semi final win against Wigan, the draw at Brentford when we got promoted, a 3-0 away at win at Port Vale to win the division 4 title and beating Wolves 1-0 in the League Cup. Plus, many other great experiences.

However, other than seeing us get to a playoff final playing some of the most awful football I have ever seen (the game at home to Sunderland springs to mind) and the FA Cup semi final not a lot else springs to mind for years now.

But, do you remember the years fighting against relegation in what was then Division 3, or the years in Division 4? I do and do not want a return to those days.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 08 Apr 2023 12:28

YorkshireRoyal99
Royal_jimmy
Snowflake Royal Midtable L1 >>>>>> Championship relegation fights constantly.

It's a really simple thing. Winning > Losing.

The Royal Forester
Hob Nob Regular

by The Royal Forester » 08 Apr 2023 12:29

Hound
blythspartan
YorkshireRoyal99

Too many ifs, buts, and maybes for me. Do you really think all these or any of them would come about?
Last edited by The Royal Forester on 08 Apr 2023 12:32, edited 2 times in total.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 08 Apr 2023 12:29

Hound
blythspartan
YorkshireRoyal99

Which we can't afford on a low Championship budget.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 08 Apr 2023 12:30

Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99
Royal_jimmy

It's a really simple thing. Winning > Losing.

It’s not just that - it’s the constant scrapping and the opposition being the ‘better side’. It’s a bit demoralising, even when we were scraping wins

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 08 Apr 2023 12:33

Orion1871 Relegation to League 2.

There’ll be posters on here suggesting that would a good thing :roll:

483 posts