Total votes: 99
Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Revised new manager poll

by Royal Rother » 18 May 2023 19:42

Snowflake Royal
Royal Rother
Snowflake Royal Please god not someone brainwashed over decades by Rodgers bullshit.

Probably the most successful ex Reading manager of all time you mean?

Yeah, we don't want any of that bullshit in our failing club.

One of the least successful Reading managers of all time. And absolutely full of it. Don't care what he does elsewhere.

....which conveniently misses the point (of course).

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 18 May 2023 19:45

Royal Rother
Snowflake Royal
Royal Rother
Probably the most successful ex Reading manager of all time you mean?

Yeah, we don't want any of that bullshit in our failing club.

One of the least successful Reading managers of all time. And absolutely full of it. Don't care what he does elsewhere.

I didn't miss your point, I just don’t agree it has any relevance.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 19 May 2023 07:26

Snowflake Royal
Royal Rother
Snowflake Royal One of the least successful Reading managers of all time. And absolutely full of it. Don't care what he does elsewhere.

He failed at Reading.

He has since had a very good career in management at other clubs, better than any other failed or successful Reading manager. EVER.

So, whether you like him or not, what he does, and how he does it, works.

But because he failed at Reading and you don’t care what he has done anywhere else, you wouldn’t want any of his bullshit style of management here and that’s the end of it.

It’s a kindergarten view of the world but yeah, pretty much what one would expect. If it doesn’t conform to your view, it’s irrelevant. We know this.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 19 May 2023 07:37

Royal Rother
Snowflake Royal
Royal Rother

He failed at Reading.

He has since had a very good career in management at other clubs, better than any other failed or successful Reading manager. EVER.

But because he failed at Reading and you don’t care what he has done anywhere else, you wouldn’t want any of his bullshit style of management here and that’s the end of it.

It’s a kindergarten view of the world but yeah, pretty much what one would expect. If it doesn’t conform to your view, it’s irrelevant. We know this.

I guess I have to spell it out to you.

Rodgers performance elsewhere has no relevance to Davies coming here. Rodgers may have been very successful elsewhere, but he's incredibly arrogant, full of shit and his approach is wholly unsuited to most clubs outside top flights. And he demonstrated that in his inability to adapt here and the absolute nonsense he talked.

Having a mini Brendan with no management experienced, brainwashed on the big book of tactics and trying to play tedious tippy tappy bollocks in L1 with players who aren't capable, when we need a steady experienced hand to rebuild and play simple and effective football lesser players can manage is a terrible idea. And I have no interest in hearing the sort of absolute nonsense Rodgers babbles.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 19 May 2023 09:29

:lol:

Yep, I get it.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 19 May 2023 18:25

Russell Martin off to Southampton. Expect Luke Williams will be linked with Swansea.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 19 May 2023 20:32

Snowflake Royal
Royal Rother
Snowflake Royal I didn't miss your point, I just don’t agree it has any relevance.

He failed at Reading.

I guess I have to spell it out to you.

Rodgers performance elsewhere has no relevance to Davies coming here. Rodgers may have been very successful elsewhere, but he's incredibly arrogant, full of shit and his approach is wholly unsuited to most clubs outside top flights. And he demonstrated that in his inability to adapt here and the absolute nonsense he talked.

That must be why he failed so miserably at Watford and Swansea when they were in the Championship.

Rodgers flopped here, and he does seem to have a tendency to believe his own hype, but overall he's done pretty well as a manager.

Having a mini Brendan with no management experienced, brainwashed on the big book of tactics and trying to play tedious tippy tappy bollocks in L1 with players who aren't capable, when we need a steady experienced hand to rebuild and play simple and effective football lesser players can manage is a terrible idea. And I have no interest in hearing the sort of absolute nonsense Rodgers babbles.

We have no idea what sort of manager Davies would be, how much he'd buy into Brendan's ideas, and how much he'd have his own style.

I'd say he wins out over a manager with no experience, and I'd rather have him over one of those has-beens that always seems to get jobs with no obvious reason as to why.

I'd also favour him over a Warnock type, who'd go off the boil after six months after shouting at the players a lot stops working.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 19 May 2023 21:25

Watford was hardly a success and Swansea couldn't have been an easier gig for him.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 20 May 2023 11:19

With all the reflection on past manager performance and win rates etc.

What do people think on the question of which managers left us stronger than when they arrived? It's naturally fairly subjective rather than objective like win rate, but at least equally important imo.

And I think a pretty damning indictment of most of our more recent appointments.

Pardew - without doubt.
Coppell - without doubt
Rodgers - absolutely worse, but thankfully the damage was most superficial
McDermott - yes, although the ownership situation is clearly completely the opposite.
Adkins - worse but under very difficult conditions
Clarke - better, but imo largely due to the shortness of his tenure.
McDermott2 - largely unchanged
Stam - very much worse
Clement - largely unchanged
Gomes - worse
Bowen - better
Paunovic - worse
Ince - worse

Not great reading is it.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 20 May 2023 12:33

An insight to Chris Davies' role at Leicester. Like Rodgers he left the club in April and is currently "looking for a new club"

https://www.premierleague.com/news/2573082

Chris was first team coach at Reading from January to June 2016 so was someone Brian presumably wanted when he returned which I think gives a bit more confidence in him should he be given the reins now.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal_jimmy » 20 May 2023 15:09

Snowflake Royal With all the reflection on past manager performance and win rates etc.

What do people think on the question of which managers left us stronger than when they arrived? It's naturally fairly subjective rather than objective like win rate, but at least equally important imo.

And I think a pretty damning indictment of most of our more recent appointments.

Pardew - without doubt.
Coppell - without doubt
McDermott - yes, although the ownership situation is clearly completely the opposite.
Stam - very much worse
Gomes - worse
Bowen - better
Paunovic - worse
Ince - worse

Not great reading is it.

Unsurprisingly the quality of managers we've had has fallen away big time since Madejski sold up

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 20 May 2023 15:16

…but the quantity hasn’t

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 21 May 2023 08:58

Catching up after my holiday and have to say, Davies as a potential appointment is intriguing.

Young but experienced coach with a link to the club who has been working successfully at the highest level for close to a decade.

Could be a massive failure of course, as could any appointment, but on balance, I like the thinking.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 21 May 2023 10:30

Stranded Catching up after my holiday and have to say, Davies as a potential appointment is intriguing.

Young but experienced coach with a link to the club who has been working successfully at the highest level for close to a decade.

Could be a massive failure of course, as could any appointment, but on balance, I like the thinking.

I was initially completely against this type of appointment but looking at how well Steven Schumacher and Kieran McKenna have done at Plymouth and Ipswich respectively it could work. I appreciate that Schumacher has been at Plymouth a while and was Ryan Lowe’s assistant.

Whoever we get it does at least seem a better recruitment process than we’ve have experienced since Dai took over the club. I trust Bowen to make the right decision and Shrewsbury Town here I come.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 21 May 2023 13:10

Snowflake Royal With all the reflection on past manager performance and win rates etc.

Pardew - without doubt.
Coppell - without doubt
Stam - very much worse
Gomes - worse
Bowen - better
Paunovic - worse
Ince - worse

Not great reading is it.

I presume you went off where we were in the league when the managers joined and then left? That takes some of the subjectivity out of it I suppose.

In my opinion though, I don't think we were generally much worse off when Gomes arrived to when he left. We were crap and in trouble when he arrived and similar when he left as well.

I also think if you attach the "difficult conditions" tag to Adkins then I'd probably say the same with both Pauno and Ince with the restrictions and off the field issues that we've been dealing with for the last couple of seasons.

That would be about all I'd change but, in the main, it's been a pretty disappointing decade as far as managerial appointments go to say the least.

YoungRon

by YoungRon » 22 May 2023 07:47

Sutekh An insight to Chris Davies' role at Leicester. Like Rodgers he left the club in April and is currently "looking for a new club"

https://www.premierleague.com/news/2573082

Chris was first team coach at Reading from January to June 2016 so was someone Brian presumably wanted when he returned which I think gives a bit more confidence in him should he be given the reins now.

Leicester have performed poorly this season. So I'm not sure Chris Davies is a good option. But maybe he will do better in his new position.
The intrigue remains!
Hi :)

256 posts