The squad in July

644 posts
Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: The squad in July

by Snowflake Royal » 27 Jun 2023 19:12

Royal_jimmy I don't care about winning, just putting my point across.

Have less shit points. Hth.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 28 Jun 2023 08:51

blythspartan I wonder if Ejaria can light up League One or if he’ll be as useless as ever. I am guessing that he must be our highest paid player now.

I am prepared to give him a chance this season but he needs to bring his A game. Not sure if the club will try to cash in while he still has a year left on his contract.

Given our situation, I think we should probably look to move him on, unless Selles really, really wants to keep him. On high wages and is probably one of only a couple of players who might be able to bring in a half decent fee.

Could certainly be a good player, I just can't see how it will be here without a serious shake up in attitude.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 28 Jun 2023 09:31

YorkshireRoyal99
blythspartan I wonder if Ejaria can light up League One or if he’ll be as useless as ever. I am guessing that he must be our highest paid player now.

I am prepared to give him a chance this season but he needs to bring his A game. Not sure if the club will try to cash in while he still has a year left on his contract.

Given our situation, I think we should probably look to move him on, unless Selles really, really wants to keep him. On high wages and is probably one of only a couple of players who might be able to bring in a half decent fee.

Could certainly be a good player, I just can't see how it will be here without a serious shake up in attitude.

yeah looking at the interweb that lists player salaries, and i know it should be taken with a pinch of salt, but most seem to have Ejaria in the 14k p/w ballpark. Which tbf is probably about right. The next highest-paid players that we have left are Tmac Yiadom and Carroll - all on 3.5k pw.

As I say, it can be taken with a pinch of salt, but it does give us ballpark figures and goes to show how disproportionate Ejarias' wages are compared to the rest of the squad now, and it's not a sustainable wage in league 1.

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 28 Jun 2023 09:32

Snowflake Royal
Royal_jimmy I don't care about winning, just putting my point across.

Have less shit points. Hth.

Uh oh, Ian is flirting again.

On Strings

by On Strings » 28 Jun 2023 14:04

First signing might not be far away. Walcott is at Bearwood today.

Two others training with us as well.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal_jimmy » 28 Jun 2023 23:15

Brogue
YorkshireRoyal99

yeah looking at the interweb that lists player salaries, and i know it should be taken with a pinch of salt, but most seem to have Ejaria in the 14k p/w ballpark. Which tbf is probably about right. The next highest-paid players that we have left are Tmac Yiadom and Carroll - all on 3.5k pw.

As I say, it can be taken with a pinch of salt, but it does give us ballpark figures and goes to show how disproportionate Ejarias' wages are compared to the rest of the squad now, and it's not a sustainable wage in league 1.

I think our wage bill is pretty compliant with league one now tbh. We can spent £6-7m on the squad on wages this season and we have a total of 7 first teamers and about 8 young players who's wages probably total £2m max. We have headroom to sign 12-14 players with an average wage of £4k a week.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 29 Jun 2023 16:00

Royal_jimmy
I think our wage bill is pretty compliant with league one now tbh. We can spent £6-7m on the squad on wages this season and we have a total of 7 first teamers and about 8 young players who's wages probably total £2m max. We have headroom to sign 12-14 players with an average wage of £4k a week.

What's the club's financial budget though? Dai cannot commit to funding he hasn't got access to. Obviously has serious cash flow issues himself.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 29 Jun 2023 16:07

Snowflake Royal We'll be playing Kingsley once the usual 9 injuries have stacked up.

Revive the Kingsley-Federici strike partnership.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 29 Jun 2023 16:10

He's shown that he has the ability to light up the Championship so I think "useless as ever" is harsh. Get him back at the level he was under Gomes and Paunovic and he'll be too good for the league.
Royal_jimmy
Hendo
Royal_jimmy You know times are hard when the club is relying on Brentford rejects

Like Ingimarsson, Sonko, etc...?

They weren't rejects there. That's like saying Anton Ferdinand and Ady Viveash were Reading rejects.

Stephen Hunt on the other hand had been released by Brentford and was about to move to Bradford when Coppell stepped in.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 29 Jun 2023 17:21

SCIAG

He's shown that he has the ability to light up the Championship so I think "useless as ever" is harsh. Get him back at the level he was under Gomes and Paunovic and he'll be too good for the league.
Royal_jimmy
Hendo
Like Ingimarsson, Sonko, etc...?

They weren't rejects there. That's like saying Anton Ferdinand and Ady Viveash were Reading rejects.

Stephen Hunt on the other hand had been released by Brentford and was about to move to Bradford when Coppell stepped in.

Has he oxf*rd.

Unless you mean by doing a bunch of step overs on the spot then falling over.

gordoncummingspasses

by gordoncummingspasses » 29 Jun 2023 21:18

I'm guessing Yiadom may go. I was surprised he stuck around last year after Swift, Laurent, and Rino left. Surprised we did not try to get Southwood back this summer. Bit error-prone after his earlier good spell but for League 1 would be a good asset. My main issue here, though, is can we get Ejaria back in the fold as South Coast Royal and Snowflake Royal say? There may be personality and fitting-in issues. Think he could do a good job with us in League 1 with his trickery. May be a bit above what L1 defenders are used to, although may face a bit more grit. I imagine he's on a high salary (as others have said), would be good to get something for that rather than him sit it out until the end of his contract. And don't think we could get much money for him now as he has been out of it so much, so get him back in and get him involved. I think Selles may be the man to work with him on this. Early test of his man management.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 30 Jun 2023 07:37

Purely for financial reasons this is a day to celebrate. I have nothing against Liam Moore but it’s his last pay day today and his salary can help pay 5 to 7 players at this level.

I just hope that the club can sort out the financial mess that it’s in so that we have a team to support next season.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 30 Jun 2023 09:56

i guess we might find out if Hoilett and Mbengue are sticking around today. As both will be ooc tomorrow if they haven't signed

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 30 Jun 2023 10:09

blythspartan Purely for financial reasons this is a day to celebrate. I have nothing against Liam Moore but it’s his last pay day today and his salary can help pay 5 to 7 players at this level.

I just hope that the club can sort out the financial mess that it’s in so that we have a team to support next season.

I think unfortunately, he has potentially one more to come.

Unless it has been scrapped, there is a "Solidarity Clause" in players contracts that states, if a player leaves a club at the end of June - if they have still not secured a new deal somewhere else by July 31st, then their former club has to pay them a salary.

I would say Moore is currently at the bottom of most clubs lists and will likely have to spend time on trial before getting a deal, so we will likely have to pay him in July. What's not clear is if this is the full months salary or a capped amount.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 30 Jun 2023 11:06

I think Moore will get a move somewhere to be honest, someone in the Championship will take a punt on him who need their squad bolstering in certain areas, but he's only going to be earning a fraction of what we were paying him. I wouldn't be too surprised if it was someone like Rotherham.

As of tomorrow though, I get the feeling this is where most of our business will be done, in the free agents market. Let's see who we can pick up through that route and see what loans we can get in as well.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 30 Jun 2023 11:20

YorkshireRoyal99 I think Moore will get a move somewhere to be honest, someone in the Championship will take a punt on him who need their squad bolstering in certain areas, but he's only going to be earning a fraction of what we were paying him. I wouldn't be too surprised if it was someone like Rotherham.

As of tomorrow though, I get the feeling this is where most of our business will be done, in the free agents market. Let's see who we can pick up through that route and see what loans we can get in as well.

Oh I'm sure Moore will find somewhere but it will likely be an August move to a club who may still be short of a CB option and see him as a potential low cost move - hence we will get lumbered with making another payment to him.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 30 Jun 2023 12:07

Stranded
YorkshireRoyal99 I think Moore will get a move somewhere to be honest, someone in the Championship will take a punt on him who need their squad bolstering in certain areas, but he's only going to be earning a fraction of what we were paying him. I wouldn't be too surprised if it was someone like Rotherham.

Oh I'm sure Moore will find somewhere but it will likely be an August move to a club who may still be short of a CB option and see him as a potential low cost move - hence we will get lumbered with making another payment to him.

Surely it would be capped. Footballers have it way too easy if not.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 30 Jun 2023 12:26

So a squad of 26 players heading off to Spain today.

Be interesting* to find out the make up of that squad.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 30 Jun 2023 12:28

Stranded So a squad of 26 players heading off to Spain today.

Be interesting* to find out the make up of that squad.

It's nice for morale they're letting the players bring their children and partners.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 30 Jun 2023 13:20

It looks like Hendrick might be one of the 26.

644 posts