Summer 2023 Transfer Speculation

1360 posts
Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Summer 2023 Transfer Speculation

by Stranded » 18 Aug 2023 15:42

From Despair To Where? As I've said before, I don't make any claims for the figures other than them being in the general ballpark and useful as a guide.

Certainly, with respect to Holmes and McIntyre, I'm going by what was reported locally at the time they renewed, likewise Yiadom.

Our wage cap was £12m last year and in Moore, João, Meite and Puscas, we've cleared £4m off that and even if we were only paying 10% of Hendricks and Rahman's wages, that's another £750k. We were also apparently paying Lumley £6k so that takes it up to £1m. There's an element of guesswork but you can piece together what is in the public domain to get a reasonably accurate picture. I would imagine that our current wage bill for all playing staff is somewhere between £5m-£7m.

I presume the wage cap also included coaching staff.

It did not. We could whatever we wanted there as long as we stayed in line with the budgets.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 18 Aug 2023 16:09

blythspartan I have a good feeling about Jayden Wareham but ideally we need someone like Stansfield.

I've heard Stansfield has offers from all around the world.

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 18 Aug 2023 16:10

From Despair To Where? As I've said before, I don't make any claims for the figures other than them being in the general ballpark and useful as a guide.

Certainly, with respect to Holmes and McIntyre, I'm going by what was reported locally at the time they renewed, likewise Yiadom.

Our wage cap was £12m last year and in Moore, João, Meite and Puscas, we've cleared £4m off that and even if we were only paying 10% of Hendricks and Rahman's wages, that's another £750k. We were also apparently paying Lumley £6k so that takes it up to £1m. There's an element of guesswork but you can piece together what is in the public domain to get a reasonably accurate picture. I would imagine that our current wage bill for all playing staff is somewhere between £5m-£7m.

It seems pretty unlikely to me that our player wage bill was only £12m last season. Wasn't it something like £23m the season before (I appreciate that's the full wage bill though)?

League one is even more spread out in terms of wage bills compared to the Championship. There are a bunch of teams who, even with our restrictions, we'll outspend 4-5 times in terms of wages. So, any concern with relegation in this league is pretty unrealistic. However, there are only 3 teams that go up and if we want to be one of them then we need more than what we have at the moment. Last season's table shows you the standard you need - not just being 'decent', you need to be pretty much perfect. Our strikers frankly aren't up to that takes right now - we need a Championship level goalscorer.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 18 Aug 2023 16:21

Elm Park Kid

It seems pretty unlikely to me that our player wage bill was only £12m last season. Wasn't it something like £23m the season before (I appreciate that's the full wage bill though)?

League one is even more spread out in terms of wage bills compared to the Championship. There are a bunch of teams who, even with our restrictions, we'll outspend 4-5 times in terms of wages. So, any concern with relegation in this league is pretty unrealistic. However, there are only 3 teams that go up and if we want to be one of them then we need more than what we have at the moment. Last season's table shows you the standard you need - not just being 'decent', you need to be pretty much perfect. Our strikers frankly aren't up to that takes right now - we need a Championship level goalscorer.

Smith and Kelvin E probably have potential to be that - it may just take a season or two to get them both firing and off the ground really (particularly the laters case). Obviously getting ourselves free of restrictions would be a good starting point. Not essential to be spending money on players or anything like that, many clubs don't, but it would be a nice option to have as well if we want to compete, because a lot at the top end of the table do spend something.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 18 Aug 2023 16:42

Elm Park Kid

IIRC, we were limited to £12m by the budget agreement, £16m the season before.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 18 Aug 2023 16:48

It was supposed to be £16m wage cap.

People have been consistently overestimating how much we've cut the wage bill each season for about a decade.

There were people telling us we must have halved it when it went from £30m to £40m.

Royality creeps In
Hob Nob Regular

by Royality creeps In » 18 Aug 2023 16:56

Pepe the Horseman
blythspartan I have a good feeling about Jayden Wareham but ideally we need someone like Stansfield.

I've heard Stansfield has offers from all around the world.

I can't find my baby :D

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 18 Aug 2023 19:51

Budget for last season was £16m. About 10% of that would have been Liam Moore. The cap would not have included a lot of the academy players as that is outside of the EFL ruling as well and deducted from the P&S calculations too.

We were probably still paying a big chunk of Puscas’ wages too. Doubt Genoa paid 100%.

The average wage in the Champ a few seasons ago was about £9.5k (it was fifth highest in all leagues across Europe). So a lot of overseas players could join Reading, earn £5 - £8k pw and still have doubled their wages.

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 18 Aug 2023 20:08

Mid Sussex Royal
Stranded You want 2 players for every position in an ideal squad - yes you can probably get away with a player or two who can cover esp defensively but if we are playing 2 strikers you want 4 - that may well mean we just need one more assuming we have seen the last of Carroll so our 4 would be Smith, Ehibhatiomhan, Vickers and 1 more. Ideally you want someone with a proven record at this level or a top level loan (if you can get both in a Stansfield style signing great).

Outside of that, you would then look to the next wave of academy stars for a striker if we have injuries, so if we sign Wareham, he may be 5th choice or shares 4th choice with Vickers.

What's happened to Jamarai Clarke?

He's been injured. Played for the first time since his injury for the U21s on Monday IIRC.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 18 Aug 2023 21:26

Jahmari didn’t play on Monday. Did play last week though. Hopefully just managing his recovery

Diamond Daz W reporting Stansfield is going out on loan - but Fulham insisting it’s to a champ club so we’re out the picture

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 18 Aug 2023 21:43

Hound Jahmari didn’t play on Monday. Did play last week though. Hopefully just managing his recovery

Diamond Daz W reporting Stansfield is going out on loan - but Fulham insisting it’s to a champ club so we’re out the picture

Yep, Stansfield would have been great hut makes total sense for him to play atca higher level this year.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 19 Aug 2023 09:20

Seems a bit quiet on the rumours front at the moment with Walcott retired and Stanfield off to a Championship club.

I guess we are now in loans territory...

I wonder if we can pick up anybody from Southampton or Spurs through connections with Selles or Carey?

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 19 Aug 2023 09:28

Would be nice if we could get Dom Ballard in from Southampton U21s on loan - he's been banging them in for the U21s last few games. Think two hattricks in last 2 matches.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 19 Aug 2023 09:32

Big fat No to replacing our promising U21s upfront with someone else's who has no more first team experience.

If we sign a striker,which we should, they should have first team experience. Otherwise we're just playing someone else's Vickers, Clarke or Ehibhatiomhan and making the same mistakes as ever.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 19 Aug 2023 12:39

I think I would leave it to Selles and his team
to decide who is/will be the better player.

The kid has played in the Premiership twice
and has score 53 goals in 70 games at all age levels
and has started this season with a pair of
hat-tricks and has had his Saints contract
extended to 2026.

Sounds to me like he has a VERY good chance
of being a top player.

But, naturally, I bow to the local guru...

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 20 Aug 2023 10:35

Missed all of yest as was away, was anything said post match re Carroll and co? Have they definitely been asked to find new clubs?

skipper
Hob Nob Regular

by skipper » 20 Aug 2023 15:05

Can someone please make a summary of who we signed, and whether it was permiment or a loan?

We seemed to have had some real shrewdness that belies our financial state.

But ive not been able to keep up with it tbh.

Agree with above about signing an experienced striker as a starter. Our academy have been great, so dont really want to experience up someone elses.

Id keep with what we have really. Wish bloody Carroll would give his own head a wobble. He could provide so much.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 20 Aug 2023 15:23

I have said this previously, we need to sign Jayden Wareham. He’s scored another goal today and also got one assist. If we’re going down the route of youngsters we need to sign up this lad and give him a chance in the first team. I’m pretty sure Carroll will be staying this season and that he’ll get some game time again soon.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 20 Aug 2023 16:43

skipper Can someone please make a summary of who we signed, and whether it was permiment or a loan?

Agree with above about signing an experienced striker as a starter. Our academy have been great, so dont really want to experience up someone elses.

Id keep with what we have really. Wish bloody Carroll would give his own head a wobble. He could provide so much.

So far

Button
Rushesha
Knibbs
Wing
Mukairu
Elliott
Savage

All are permanent transfers except Mukairu who is on loan for the season from Copenhagan

We still have Clark and Wareham trialling with the u21s and believe the club are still pursuing another couple of signings which could be either loan or permanent but no doubt another embargo will be along shortly....

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 20 Aug 2023 17:30

Sutekh
skipper Can someone please make a summary of who we signed, and whether it was permiment or a loan?

So far

Button
Rushesha
Knibbs
Wing
Mukairu
Elliott
Savage

All are permanent transfers except Mukairu who is on loan for the season from Copenhagan

We still have Clark and Wareham trialling with the u21s and believe the club are still pursuing another couple of signings which could be either loan or permanent but no doubt another embargo will be along shortly....

I think you have missed out Smith and technically Mbengue.

1360 posts