MATCHWATCH : Swindon Town (h)

178 posts
Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: MATCHWATCH : Swindon Town (h)

by Brogue » 10 Oct 2023 21:49

Absolute scenes after the game TVP should be ashamed just filtered the Swindon fans into the Reading fans on the dual carriageway. The atmosphere was feisty in the ground it’s obvious the Swindon fans all left on about 75 mins to wait for the Reading fans no
Police there whatsoever ever. Then it all kicked off fighting in the middle of the road Swindon got absolutely battered. Then the riot police turn up with dogs peeper spray full riot gear swinging kloshes never seen trouble like that.

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 10 Oct 2023 21:50

It's nice to have these short 'holidays' from the grim reality of RFC. But I don't think they have much meaning outside of a low-standard tournament where kids are going out to have fun.

Maybe once Dai is back we can begin to recapture some of that spirit for our first team.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 10 Oct 2023 21:51

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Addict

by Royals and Racers » 10 Oct 2023 22:01

We have qualified for the next stage with the final group match v Arsenal U 21 still to be played.
Next round is W/C 4th December- group winner plays at home runner up away. Round is still regionalised. A draw or win against Arsenal will see us top the group.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 10 Oct 2023 22:08

Royals and Racers We have qualified for the next stage with the final group match v Arsenal U 21 still to be played.
Next round is W/C 4th December- group winner plays at home runner up away. Round is still regionalised. A draw or win against Arsenal will see us top the group.

Great - means we can play the U14s for the last game :D

72 bus
Hob Nob Regular

by 72 bus » 10 Oct 2023 22:08

Brogue https://x.com/ronniemac93/status/1711841957146665169?s=46&t=5ouN7TYsfc6mzleRCWjxvA

Battered I tell you

Arses handed to Swindon on and off the pitch. :D

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 10 Oct 2023 22:09

It seems we have a squad of 22 or so players who are comfortably above youth league level but are collectively not ready for L1. If we had 12 or 13 senior pros in reasonable form then the youngsters would do a great job supplement.

When you see us against other 2nd XIs / youth line ups it's clear that we're a long way ahead.

Crowbar6753

by Crowbar6753 » 10 Oct 2023 22:12

Brogue https://x.com/ronniemac93/status/1711841957146665169?s=46&t=5ouN7TYsfc6mzleRCWjxvA

Battered I tell you

I guess a lot of the younger generation cannot remember the 80s and our rivalry with Oxford, Swindon and Aldershot!! Judging by the decent turnout by both sets of supporters their is still some heated rivalry simmering in there which has been 20yrs in the making.

Both games against Oxford are going to be pretty tasty if this is anything to go by......the Chronicle ask some fans the meaning of the Thames Valley derbies and i think tonight has answered that question!!

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 10 Oct 2023 22:23

Crowbar6753 We all moan about this 4-2-2-2 system, and yes, i know we were only playing Swindon's second 11, however, i think it proved that with the right players playing wing backs then it can work!!
NGW and Yids both got up the field tonight and played particularly well, NGW especially so. Carson isn't quite there yet and Bindon is no FB.

I also thought Holmes played really well also. I love the kids i really do, however, we're in a mess at the moment and experience or the little we have left will be crucial in getting out of this hole.

Saying that, Craig was great tonight and i really think he is worth more gametime in the first team.

Getting Smith up to speed will also be key to this season, we are lacking goals and i would love to see Smith and Ballard as a tandem up top, with Big Kelvin coming on later in the game.

Great game tonight, and so good to see a great atmosphere in a essentially a mickey mouse cup :D

Team moving forward until Xmas if he sticks with 4-2-2-2

Button

Mbengue/Yids Holmes Dean NGW

Wing Craig

Elliot Knibbs

Ballard Smith

Yeah, all well and good going forward. But it's easy when the other team can't attack.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 10 Oct 2023 23:01

Part of me is glad to see no love lost tbh.

Crowbar6753

by Crowbar6753 » 10 Oct 2023 23:09

Snowflake Royal
Crowbar6753 We all moan about this 4-2-2-2 system, and yes, i know we were only playing Swindon's second 11, however, i think it proved that with the right players playing wing backs then it can work!!
NGW and Yids both got up the field tonight and played particularly well, NGW especially so. Carson isn't quite there yet and Bindon is no FB.

I also thought Holmes played really well also. I love the kids i really do, however, we're in a mess at the moment and experience or the little we have left will be crucial in getting out of this hole.

Saying that, Craig was great tonight and i really think he is worth more gametime in the first team.

Getting Smith up to speed will also be key to this season, we are lacking goals and i would love to see Smith and Ballard as a tandem up top, with Big Kelvin coming on later in the game.

Great game tonight, and so good to see a great atmosphere in a essentially a mickey mouse cup :D

Team moving forward until Xmas if he sticks with 4-2-2-2

Button

Mbengue/Yids Holmes Dean NGW

Wing Craig

Elliot Knibbs

Ballard Smith

Yeah, all well and good going forward. But it's easy when the other team can't attack.

Hi Snowflake,
Oh i get it, hence why i pointed out we're only up against Swindon's second 11, however, saying that it highlighted the fact that if a proper WB is employed and he can read the game correctly the system can work.
I,m not saying i like 4-2-2-2 i don't but if he's going to persist with it then at least pick the right players to fit that formation. :D

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 10 Oct 2023 23:18

Takes me back to the EP days Aldershot,Swindon Oxford. Some of my happiest memories as a teenage Reading fan even though I took a few beatings. No riot police or helicopters in those days.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal_jimmy » 10 Oct 2023 23:58

Always nice to beat Swindon but I wish we could play this positively in the league

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 11 Oct 2023 00:25

skipper
Millsy I didn't catch the Swindon team news - are they playing their first team or kids?

Yes, playing kids rather than risk their thread bare first team.

Swindon finished the game with 7 players aged 17 and under .

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal_jimmy » 11 Oct 2023 00:35

Brogue Absolute scenes after the game TVP should be ashamed just filtered the Swindon fans into the Reading fans on the dual carriageway. The atmosphere was feisty in the ground it’s obvious the Swindon fans all left on about 75 mins to wait for the Reading fans no
Police there whatsoever ever. Then it all kicked off fighting in the middle of the road Swindon got absolutely battered. Then the riot police turn up with dogs peeper spray full riot gear swinging kloshes never seen trouble like that.

Just wait until Oxford that'll be worse

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 11 Oct 2023 01:25

genome Part of me is glad to see no love lost tbh.

Yeh pissed me off seeing some youngsters on twitter claiming Oxford and Swindon weren't actually our rivals, and we should stop trying to manufacture a rivalry :roll:

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 11 Oct 2023 07:44

I am glad I ended up going to this one and it made me realise just how much I have missed the local rivalry of playing Oxford, Swindon and Aldershot. I had a few scraps in my youth, but too old for that now.

In terms of the game, I thought Craig was superb until he got cramp and needs to be given a chance in the first team. Knibbs got 3 goals, but I can’t say that he played great. I thought Holmes was pretty solid and I have to now admit NGW is our best LB. Overall it was entertaining, however, it only really proved that our youngsters are far more superior than theirs.

My wish list is for the rest of the season is new owners, a boring mid table finish and a trip to Wembley.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 11 Oct 2023 07:58

Anyone know the attendance?

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 11 Oct 2023 08:33

Royals and Racers We have qualified for the next stage with the final group match v Arsenal U 21 still to be played.

The competition remains regionalised until, obviously, the final itself.

Arsenal U21s won 5-0 at Exeter last night.

St Pauli
Hob Nob Legend

by St Pauli » 11 Oct 2023 08:34

Anyone got any more footage and reports of the fighting?

MSM seems to be too preoccupied with Israel Palestine to give this derby violence the coverage it deserves.

178 posts