#SellBeforeWeDai (to someone fit and proper)“ supporters action group

2799 posts
Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: “ Sell before we Dai (to someone fit and proper)“ supporters action group v2.3b sponsored by Sports Direct Tennis Ba

by Snowflake Royal » 21 Dec 2023 15:21

They're on pretty dodgy ground calling for more open communication given the FL doesn't permit much communication on selling negotiations too.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

Re: “ Sell before we Dai (to someone fit and proper)“ supporters action group v2.3b sponsored by Sports Direct Tennis Ba

by WestYorksRoyal » 21 Dec 2023 15:29

There's also a huge trust issue with the club. If Pang puts out a statement saying Dai still wants to sell and that negotiations are still ongoing, quite frankly I don't trust their sincerity. The club may nationally be "up for sale", but the same is true if you put your 1 bed flat on rightmove for £1m.

I'd say rumours from reputable journos are more reliable than club statements. Though I exclude Bowen from that who is trustworthy.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 21 Dec 2023 15:50

At least SBWD said there are some positives, albeit it’s just words atm. For me, the performance at Lincoln, getting rid of Ejaria and Pang actually being at the meeting are all a bit more encouraging compared to recent weeks. Although unconfirmed reports of staff redundancies are grim, if true.

I am still fearing the worst, but hoping that 2024 will be a better year for the mighty Royals.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 21 Dec 2023 15:58

Obviously the redundancies are sad, but it's part of the game that when clubs get relegated they need to cut cloth and this should have happened months ago. On the one side, we want the club to be sustainable, but then redundancies are sad.

What is absolutely unforgivable is letting them work in this toxic environment with an absent hierarchy not knowing if they'll be paid for months, before sticking the boot in just before Christmas. The same outrage would not exist had it happened in June.

But alongside Ejaria, it's a sign of a club trying to get its finances in order which is a good sign.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 21 Dec 2023 16:33

The SBWD statement said there were some positives from the meeting but they obviously can't say what. STAR were there too0 and apparently are putting something out in the next few days.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 21 Dec 2023 16:37

I don't really care about communication. Put something out and 3 hours later its out of date.

I care about some actual progress and results.

No one asks for communication when we're winning.

Reading4eva
Hob Nob Regular

by Reading4eva » 21 Dec 2023 16:49

I really hope something is announced that's positive for the Wigan game. Will brighten a lot of spirits

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 21 Dec 2023 16:50

Snowflake Royal I don't really care about communication. Put something out and 3 hours later its out of date.

I care about some actual progress and results.

No one asks for communication when we're winning.

I believe Brentford's owner says sweet eff all to them. For some reason they don't seem to mind.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 27 Dec 2023 09:56

Dai before he sells

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 04 Jan 2024 09:26

Not sure where else to put this but a mildly revealing interview with Sam Smith on the Chronic site today:

https://www.readingchronicle.co.uk/spor ... ing-facts/

Essentially making it clear that the facts changed around the club and what was sold to the players who signed in the summer was not the reality, or perhaps more likely goalposts were shifted by ownership. Makes it clear it has been a very tough environment to work in but the players are determined to do all they can on the pitch and that he loves the club.

Would be interesting* to know what was sold to the players who we persuaded to sign.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 04 Jan 2024 09:48

Stranded Not sure where else to put this but a mildly revealing interview with Sam Smith on the Chronic site today:

Essentially making it clear that the facts changed around the club and what was sold to the players who signed in the summer was not the reality, or perhaps more likely goalposts were shifted by ownership. Makes it clear it has been a very tough environment to work in but the players are determined to do all they can on the pitch and that he loves the club.

Would be interesting* to know what was sold to the players who we persuaded to sign.

TBF, the attitude shown by Smith, Wing and Knibbs especially has been exceptional considering they were sold a dud

There was a period when having signed those 3 we were looking at quality loans like Stansfield and looked like we were really trying to build a promotion winning side. Obvs the Wilder stuff as well

Suspect it was look at the infrastructure, training ground, academy and who we are trying to sign - you want to be part of this

Looks like Dai pulled the rug out at some point in that period leaving Bowen and co looking like mugs

Ofc stupid thing for Dai is his club would be worth a whole lot more if he’d not done that

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 04 Jan 2024 10:10

His interview "gets it" to be honest. If they perform well on the pitch, which is the only thing they can control, it makes the club more saleable and hopefully something happens off the pitch that allows us to kick on next season.

Any player who sticks with us this season and then helps us to promotion under a new owner becomes a bona-fide legend, so that must be their ambition. Especially as they're on long term deals so escaping this situation is also outside their control.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 04 Jan 2024 10:21

Stranded Would be interesting* to know what was sold to the players who we persuaded to sign.

I think Smith has sort of mentioned it really about their being a bigger picture and a plan, possibly sold that a takeover was "happening" and were probably told a few porkies about how close it was to happening and what that would mean for the club etc.

It's one of those where you don't know how bad things are until you jump in and see for yourself. Likewise with players, sometimes you don't know what you will get until they are in the club.

Ten Bobsworth

by Ten Bobsworth » 04 Jan 2024 10:22

Stranded Not sure where else to put this but a mildly revealing interview with Sam Smith on the Chronic site today:

It is possible that there was a change of circumstance but the idea that Great Shine were going to keep pouring money into Reading without limit is for the birds. Even if the club was 'up shit creek without a paddle' the owner is not going to say that if he entertained any hopes of selling it as a going concern.

Most players tend to be naive, even after they have retired, but they usually have agents who are supposed to look after the players interest.

Great Shine now seem to be in the business of making the best of a bad hand. What happened at this stage, at a club I won't mention, is that most interested parties held back until administration kicked in thus avoiding 65% of the costs of paying unsecured creditors. It wasn't all saving, mind you. The admins and the lawyers walked off with a few £m between them.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 04 Jan 2024 11:38

YorkshireRoyal99
Stranded Would be interesting* to know what was sold to the players who we persuaded to sign.

I think Smith has sort of mentioned it really about their being a bigger picture and a plan, possibly sold that a takeover was "happening" and were probably told a few porkies about how close it was to happening and what that would mean for the club etc.

It's one of those where you don't know how bad things are until you jump in and see for yourself. Likewise with players, sometimes you don't know what you will get until they are in the club.

I’m not sure any takeover was even mentioned at that stage. The ‘’seeking investment’ stuff came later

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 04 Jan 2024 12:20

Hound
YorkshireRoyal99

I’m not sure any takeover was even mentioned at that stage. The ‘’seeking investment’ stuff came later

Yeah not to us, but that doesn't mean to say those conversations didn't take place between player and club at the time.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 04 Jan 2024 12:33

YorkshireRoyal99
Hound
YorkshireRoyal99

Yeah not to us, but that doesn't mean to say those conversations didn't take place between player and club at the time.

Given all the noise, when it did start, was about investment, explicitly not takeover, I'm not buying players being sold on a takeover. Not to mention takeover = uncertainty, so it's not a selling point.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 04 Jan 2024 12:43

Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99
Hound

Given all the noise, when it did start, was about investment, explicitly not takeover, I'm not buying players being sold on a takeover. Not to mention takeover = uncertainty, so it's not a selling point.

To clarify, I'm not suggesting this "was" said, just an example of what "could" have been said re a takeover, investment etc. I'd still imagine a few things would take a while to be leaked out into the media regardless. Everything depends how you sell it to the person and who you are talking to etc.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 04 Jan 2024 12:51

I always assume players don't really look past 1 season as things change so much so quickly in football. and professional sports people have silly amounts of confidence in themselves so I reckon even when joining a struggling club they will think 'we might struggle but I will be the standout player and get a nice move in 12 months time'

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 04 Jan 2024 13:02

Suspect joining a successful team gives you far more chance of a better move though

Still far from convinced Dai has any real intention to sell.

2799 posts