The general Euro2024 chit chat thread

740 posts
NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: The general Euro2024 chit chat thread

by NathStPaul » 26 Jun 2024 20:56

Sutekh Is Ronaldo having a blub yet?

Manhandled in the box, blatant penalty but of course the uneducated blame Ronaldo. :roll:

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 26 Jun 2024 21:23

How come ITV have made Lee Dixon their 1st choice co commentator ahead of Ally McCoist? The insight on Georgia v Portugal is light years ahead of last night. Dixon is a clown. Dickheadson.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 26 Jun 2024 21:31

WestYorksRoyal How come ITV have made Lee Dixon their 1st choice co commentator ahead of Ally McCoist? The insight on Georgia v Portugal is light years ahead of last night. Dixon is a clown. Dickheadson.

They haven't, McCoist is the first choice. Dixon just does the England games due to being English.

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 26 Jun 2024 21:44

Portugal can't cross for shit.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 26 Jun 2024 22:02

Fantastic for Georgia. They were lucky Ronaldo was taken off early, would have been a different story if he'd have stayed on.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 26 Jun 2024 22:07

Austria Vs Turkey feels like it could be decent

tulip
Hob Nob Addict

by tulip » 26 Jun 2024 22:22

Georgia did us a favour there. No England v Netherlands match up.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 26 Jun 2024 22:24

tulip Georgia did us a favour there. No England v Netherlands match up.

Based on what I've seen there isn't a lot in it between the Dutch and Slovakia. Both fairly shite.

In fact I'd go as far to say the Netherlands might have suited us better, they'll try and play football against England and leave gaps to exploit. The Slovakians will sit back and soak it all up, will be hard to break down.

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 26 Jun 2024 22:36

BRO_BOT Delighted to see The(Wolfcastle says hi)Ukraine and their sweary fans out of the competition!

Nice touch that all the Group E matches today were played in Ukrainian colours

And you can(Edgelord fail) fcuk off :)

Brum Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Brum Royal » 26 Jun 2024 22:36

Fantastic result for Georgia tonight, enjoyed watching them play.

The bottom half of the draw (for any of the 8 teams) looks very favourable compared to the top half, featuring the traditional big names of Germany, Spain, Portugal, France and Belgium. Germany v Spain for a quarter final looks to be the game of the potential winners, shame it's not going to be the final. But that does then open the draw up for others, maybe this year we could see a Greece or Denmark equivalent come through the draw (maybe from the bottom half) and win it?

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 26 Jun 2024 23:13

NathStPaul

Based on what I've seen there isn't a lot in it between the Dutch and Slovakia. Both fairly shite.

In fact I'd go as far to say the Netherlands might have suited us better, they'll try and play football against England and leave gaps to exploit. The Slovakians will sit back and soak it all up, will be hard to break down.

I was banking on this
We really need someone to attack us. Slovenia weren't interested. Slovakia could be very similar.

Loafer
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Loafer » 27 Jun 2024 06:20

It's coming home!

Slovakia are bad

tulip
Hob Nob Addict

by tulip » 27 Jun 2024 08:35

NathStPaul

Personally, as a dual citizen, I didn't want that match up. So I'm happy it hasn't happened.
I think both countries can progress to the next round now. What's weird is that the Dutch may have to play Austria again in the quarters.

I was also pleased to see Portugal beaten.
Last edited by tulip on 27 Jun 2024 08:37, edited 1 time in total.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 27 Jun 2024 08:36

So yesterday means the game I'm going to on Monday is Portugal v Slovenia.

Just looking at that draw and we now have the moderately stupid possibility that one of the Dutch or the Austrians could end up winning the Euros with 4 of their matches having been against each other and France.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 27 Jun 2024 08:37

tulip
NathStPaul

Personally, as a dual citizen, I didn't want that match up. So I'm happy it hasn't happened.
I think both countries can progress to the next round now. What's weird is that the Dutch may have to play Austria again in the quarters.

Same here, Germany v England was a potential 2nd round game and was the tie I wanted least. As a dual citizen, if they have to play each other, I'd rather it be a final.

tulip
Hob Nob Addict

by tulip » 27 Jun 2024 08:40

Stranded So yesterday means the game I'm going to on Monday is Portugal v Slovenia.

Just looking at that draw and we now have the moderately stupid possibility that one of the Dutch or the Austrians could end up winning the Euros with 4 of their matches having been against each other and France.

Yeah, bonkers.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 27 Jun 2024 08:45

tulip
Stranded So yesterday means the game I'm going to on Monday is Portugal v Slovenia.

Yeah, bonkers.

It is. Especially as whilst it shouldn't do it would take the shine off the achievement a little. Yes, its always been possible to play the same twice in a tournament but that is usually reserved for a group game and the final if two teams from the same group make it through (Euro 2004 with Portugal v Greece comes to mind).

Arguably also makes life harder for Austria - they played excellently to bear the Dutch to win the group only to probably have to face them again in the QFs. A Dutch side that will be extra fired up to make up for that defeat.

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 27 Jun 2024 09:00

Brum Royal I was also trying to find what separated Denmark and Slovenia in the end, and last night BBC posted this in the England live feed

BBC England go through as group winners.

Denmark finish second with Slovenia third - both sides go through.

They finished level on points, goal difference, goals scored and disciplinary record (6-6 on yellow cards).

The next tie breaker was who had the best qualifying record - and Denmark finished above Slovenia - coincidentally in the same qualifying group - on head-to-head record, after both sides finished qualifying on the same amount of points too.

Good grief, they didn't half make separating teams complicated!

When was the last major tournament (euros/world cup) where lots were drawn to determine group placings?

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 27 Jun 2024 09:11

Green
Brum Royal I was also trying to find what separated Denmark and Slovenia in the end, and last night BBC posted this in the England live feed

They finished level on points, goal difference, goals scored and disciplinary record (6-6 on yellow cards).

The next tie breaker was who had the best qualifying record - and Denmark finished above Slovenia - coincidentally in the same qualifying group - on head-to-head record, after both sides finished qualifying on the same amount of points too.

When was the last major tournament (euros/world cup) where lots were drawn to determine group placings?

Think they were used back in Italia '90 to separate Netherlands and Ireland in 2nd/3rd but both had already qualified.

tulip
Hob Nob Addict

by tulip » 27 Jun 2024 09:16

Green

It's a totally nutty system. Also that a team with fewer points, say 3, can progress to the next round, rather than one with more (say 4) due to their placing in the group, ie. Ukraine.
Last edited by tulip on 27 Jun 2024 09:19, edited 1 time in total.

740 posts