The general Euro2024 chit chat thread

740 posts
6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: The general Euro2024 chit chat thread

by 6ft Kerplunk » 02 Jul 2024 12:05

St Pauli
bcubed
NathStPaul Ref has clearly seen the Slovenian player feigned injury and dived. So why not book him? Ridiculous.

Yeh I don't get this
Noone seems to even suggest players doing this should be booked these days..

Someone got booked for diving early on in this tournament. Dunno which game it was, could have been the opening game.

They got booked for diving in consecutive games didn't they, also can't remember their name.

St Pauli
Hob Nob Legend

by St Pauli » 02 Jul 2024 13:33

6ft Kerplunk
St Pauli
bcubed
Yeh I don't get this

Someone got booked for diving early on in this tournament. Dunno which game it was, could have been the opening game.

They got booked for diving in consecutive games didn't they, also can't remember their name.

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/558360 ... ow-cards/#

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 02 Jul 2024 13:46

St Pauli
bcubed
NathStPaul Ref has clearly seen the Slovenian player feigned injury and dived. So why not book him? Ridiculous.

Yeh I don't get this

Was it Leao of Portugal?

St Pauli
Hob Nob Legend

by St Pauli » 02 Jul 2024 13:49

South Coast Royal
St Pauli
bcubed
Yeh I don't get this

Was it Leao of Portugal?

Yes

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 02 Jul 2024 18:41

Austria Vs Turkey had a fun feel to it

tulip
Hob Nob Addict

by tulip » 02 Jul 2024 19:08

Happy times in the Netherlands! Team looking a bit like Spain today.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 02 Jul 2024 21:53

Cracking game, what a save by the Turkey keeper at the end.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 02 Jul 2024 21:54

Utterly ridiculous last gasp save from the Turkey goalie

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 02 Jul 2024 21:56

WHAT ….. A …. SAVE !

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 02 Jul 2024 21:56

That's one of the best saves you'll ever see.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 02 Jul 2024 21:59

Wow, what a game that was!

2 teams where the only thought when they got the ball was to attack at speed. Fantastic.

Makes me more than a little jealous. :twisted:

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 02 Jul 2024 22:00

Literally the last second of the game, 93:59 on the clock I believe

Loafer
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Loafer » 02 Jul 2024 22:11

Didn't see it, was it actually that good?

Need to watch highlights and then I'll get back to you

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 02 Jul 2024 22:16

Loafer Didn't see it, was it actually that good?

I’m not sure the highlights can do it justice. Whatever you see, it was pretty much like that for the entire 90 minutes!

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 02 Jul 2024 22:45

Excellent game - also excellently officiated

Do think the ref can have a fairly big say on the quality of games - this one let the game flow whilst maintaining control

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 03 Jul 2024 07:45

The save at the end instanty reminded me of Banks' save from Pele in the 1970 World Cup - it was that good!

Now we have the last 8, I thought I would rank them in terms of who has been the best to the least best, of the 8.

(In my opinion obvs!)

Spain/Germany = 1st - how a game between the 2 of them has ended up as a quarter-final is bizarre; easily the 2 teams playing the best football, and with a great mix of solid defence and scary attack. Can't be seperated IMHO.
Netherlands - 3rd - genuine contenders now.
Switzerland - 4th - playing excellent football as a team.
Turkey - 5th - just sheer exuberance and always on the front foot; will cause anyone problems
Portugal - 6th - would have been higher but struggled against a brave but limited Slovenia.
England - 7th - a single moment of genius fails to disguise how tepid this England side have been
France - 8th - 2 own goals and a penalty sums up a strangely lack lsutre and dull French team, who passes the ball across their back line as much as England does.

Loafer
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Loafer » 03 Jul 2024 08:37

Royal Rother
Loafer Didn't see it, was it actually that good?

I’m not sure the highlights can do it justice. Whatever you see, it was pretty much like that for the entire 90 minutes!

The save was very very good, wouldn't say it was the best ever tbf

Loafer
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Loafer » 03 Jul 2024 08:38

Mr Angry The save at the end instanty reminded me of Banks' save from Pele in the 1970 World Cup - it was that good!

Now we have the last 8, I thought I would rank them in terms of who has been the best to the least best, of the 8.

(In my opinion obvs!)

Spain/Germany = 1st - how a game between the 2 of them has ended up as a quarter-final is bizarre; easily the 2 teams playing the best football, and with a great mix of solid defence and scary attack. Can't be seperated IMHO.
Turkey - 5th - just sheer exuberance and always on the front foot; will cause anyone problems
Portugal - 6th - would have been higher but struggled against a brave but limited Slovenia.
England - 7th - a single moment of genius fails to disguise how tepid this England side have been
France - 8th - 2 own goals and a penalty sums up a strangely lack lsutre and dull French team, who passes the ball across their back line as much as England does.

WRONG
.England will win

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 03 Jul 2024 09:51

Mr Angry The save at the end instanty reminded me of Banks' save from Pele in the 1970 World Cup - it was that good!

(In my opinion obvs!)

I always find this a strange view and you are not alone in thinking it but it isn't bizarre at all - it has been known since the draw was made that given the groups Spain and Germany were drawn in that if both won their groups and then their R16 game, they would meet in the quarters finals - it is the curse of tournament football where the how tournament has to be planned out months in advance that you may end up with 2 of the strongest teams meeting earlier that you would like.

Shame for Austria last night but I'm kind of glad they went out so that we don't have Netherlands v Austria in Berlin 10 days after they played each other in Berlin.

My early predictions - winners in bold

Spain v Germany - tight game but Germany to get through thanks to home advantage giving them a slight edge - winner of this tie, wins the Tournament.
France v Portugal - France have been shocking but Portugal will struggle to get going again after Monday's battle
England v Switzerland - Think England will just edge it but this really could go either way and may go the distance
Netherlands v Türkiye - Turks massively road their luck last night but also a great defensive performance - Dutch will be full of confidence after yesterday

Germany v France
England v Netherlands

Germany v Netherlands

tulip
Hob Nob Addict

by tulip » 03 Jul 2024 11:20

(In my opinion obvs!)

I think Spain should be on top and Germany second.
Spain won all their group games fairly easily and look more convincing to me. Germany will probably win the quarter final though (with help from the officials).

Not so happy with Netherlands/Turkey match up. Think that the Turks will be well up for it. There are a lot of Turks here and they went nuts last night with their celebrations.

740 posts