Reading FC Womens World

1998 posts
andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Reading FC Womens World

by andrew1957 » 03 Jul 2024 09:55

I just wanted to say that for me the effective closure of the women's part of the club is the lowest point of the Dai reign so far. What a disgrace of an owner he has been. I would say Dai hang your head in shame, but he clearly has no pride, no shame, no sense and no humanity.

I await the destruction of the men's side of the club to follow in due course.

Greatwesternline
Hob Nob Addict

by Greatwesternline » 03 Jul 2024 12:24

No one from Reading ever went to watch them. I've mentioned before that colleagues who are Chelsea Women's fans went to the Madejski and couldnt believe there were no fans in attendance other than Chelsea ones.

If people from Reading don't turn up and watch, there is no reason for foreign rich people to subsidise it so that Berkshire folk can feel good about themselves for having a women's team, albeit one they dont go and watch.

This one is on the fans as much as it is on the owners both present and future.

Tinpot Royal

by Tinpot Royal » 03 Jul 2024 13:04

Greatwesternline No one from Reading ever went to watch them. I've mentioned before that colleagues who are Chelsea Women's fans went to the Madejski and couldnt believe there were no fans in attendance other than Chelsea ones.

If people from Reading don't turn up and watch, there is no reason for foreign rich people to subsidise it so that Berkshire folk can feel good about themselves for having a women's team, albeit one they dont go and watch.

My thoughts exactly, I personally had/have no interest in the women's game, if shutting the women's team down means we can afford to keep a decent standard academy (even if that means cat 2) then I'm all in favour. The way it has been done is awful but you wouldn't expect anything else from the current ownership!

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 03 Jul 2024 13:42

Greatwesternline No one from Reading ever went to watch them. I've mentioned before that colleagues who are Chelsea Women's fans went to the Madejski and couldnt believe there were no fans in attendance other than Chelsea ones.

Was gonna post similar but couldn't really be bothered.

Looking at the usual social channels and indeed this forum you'd be forgiven for not realising the women's team existed until a week ago - now suddenly everyone is up in arms at its demise.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 03 Jul 2024 14:44

16 players have left the Womens team since the announcement.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 03 Jul 2024 14:51

yep can't find the average attendance for the season, the only one I can find is the wolves home game which had an attendance of 154. :| :lol:

probably more people in the B&Q at the time the game was on.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 03 Jul 2024 15:00

Brogue yep can't find the average attendance for the season, the only one I can find is the wolves home game which had an attendance of 154. :| :lol:

Perhaps women's football just isn't really as popular as the BBC would have everyone believe - or is it a sport where everyone does really only turn up to see England or any well known names that play for Arsenal or Chelsea etc?

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 03 Jul 2024 15:02

if its not making money it has to go.

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Addict

by Royals and Racers » 03 Jul 2024 15:17

Brogue yep can't find the average attendance for the season, the only one I can find is the wolves home game which had an attendance of 154. :| :lol:

That game was played at Aldershot

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 03 Jul 2024 15:23

Royals and Racers

Thanks, not sure what that has to do with anything, but thanks all the same

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 03 Jul 2024 16:03

Brogue
Royals and Racers

Probably something to do with the B&Q next to the stadium line.

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Addict

by Royals and Racers » 03 Jul 2024 17:47

Brogue
Royals and Racers

Because there was always going to be a lower attendance than normal for a game played at Aldershot. A mate of mine who was a Women’s team season ticket holder
Says around 250-300 was the norm.
I would have gone but the Women’s team didn’t help themselves by playing the home games mostly at 12pm but also 1pm and 2pm. Also ridiculously charging to park in the car park !!

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 03 Jul 2024 17:53

Royals and Racers
Brogue
Royals and Racers That game was played at Aldershot

Because there was always going to be a lower attendance than normal for a game played at Aldershot. A mate of mine who was a Women’s team season ticket holder
I would have gone but the Women’s team didn’t help themselves by playing the home games mostly at 12pm but also 1pm and 2pm. Also ridiculously charging to park in the car park !!

Oh ok. Woah. 200- 300 ?? !! game changing. Definitely sustainable. Remind me what was the entrance fee for women’s games?

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Addict

by Royals and Racers » 03 Jul 2024 18:46

Brogue
Royals and Racers
Brogue

Oh ok. Woah. 200- 300 ?? !! game changing. Definitely sustainable. Remind me what was the entrance fee for women’s games?

£12 in advance- £14 on the day -Parking was £5 in advance £10 on the day.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 03 Jul 2024 18:48

Brogue
Royals and Racers
Brogue

This sounds unsustainable

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 03 Jul 2024 19:22

Tinpot Royal

My thoughts exactly, I personally had/have no interest in the women's game, if shutting the women's team down means we can afford to keep a decent standard academy (even if that means cat 2) then I'm all in favour. The way it has been done is awful but you wouldn't expect anything else from the current ownership!

If it is Couhig then having an amateur women's team didn't seem to encourage much investment into the academy system at Wycombe.

Hopefully, if it is to be him, he will take a different tactic with Reading.

Loafer
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Loafer » 03 Jul 2024 20:44

Let's face it and not beat around the bush.

Nobody here gives a oxf*rd about women's football.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 03 Jul 2024 20:45

Royals and Racers
Brogue
Royals and Racers Because there was always going to be a lower attendance than normal for a game played at Aldershot. A mate of mine who was a Women’s team season ticket holder

plus those given away free to kids...

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 03 Jul 2024 21:01

Sutekh
Royals and Racers
Brogue

So let’s say 300 people paying £14. £4200 per game in gate receipts. And that’s absolute maximum. Loads of kids paying far less people paying in advance etc etc I don’t need to do the math. The absolute maximum for gate receipts for for a home game is £4200. Most likely £2000. How many home games in a season? Come on . It’s just not sustainable. The correct business decision has been made:

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 03 Jul 2024 21:15

Brogue
Sutekh
Royals and Racers £12 in advance- £14 on the day -Parking was £5 in advance £10 on the day.

So let’s say 300 people paying £14. £4200 per game in gate receipts. And that’s absolute maximum. Loads of kids paying far less people paying in advance etc etc I don’t need to do the math. The absolute maximum for gate receipts for for a home game is £4200. Most likely £2000. How many home games in a season? Come on . It’s just not sustainable. The correct business decision has been made:

It is a disappointing move given the growth in support for the woman’s game.

1998 posts