England v Netherlands

206 posts
Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

England v Netherlands

by Sutekh » 07 Jul 2024 07:56

Wednesday July 10, 2024 k.o. 8pm BST

After five games of less than impressive depressing tedium but scraping through comes the biggest test yet. One of the last four teams remaining, England are possibly now ranked as the outsiders to win the tournament and certainly with France or Spain awaiting things can only get harder if the Netherlands were to be beaten.

Really think England need to be on the front foot and the management need to be brave for a change and encourage the players to play to their strengths. Let's take the game to the Dutch and just try to recreate something of the Venables destruction of them back in 96.

ICH.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: England v Netherlands

by Royal Rother » 07 Jul 2024 08:46

Oh yippee.

Another frustrating 2 hours to look forward to.

Can’t wait. :|

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 07 Jul 2024 09:45

Royal Rother Oh yippee.

Another frustrating 2 hours to look forward to.

Can’t wait. :|

There is a solution … don’t bother
It’s not compulsory

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 07 Jul 2024 11:22

It's frustrating that the football is dire, and that England should be capable of the sort of results Spain and Netherlands have got.

But Germany played good football and they're out. The Swiss and Turks played good football and they're out.

It may be painful, but what we're doing is effective. And after 2 semis and a QF, I think Southgate is prioritising success over quality, and its the same thing Deschamps is doing with France. And he has won a World Cup as a player and manager.

Boring the Dutch into oblivion is quite the possible outcome and tgrn it's a second final for Southgate. He wants a trophy, and his strategy is working. We've got an easier draw, because he got us to win the group.

And it’s no surprise that RR is laying into him regardless of results.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 07 Jul 2024 11:33

Snowflake Royal It's frustrating that the football is dire, and that England should be capable of the sort of results Spain and Netherlands have got.

But Germany played good football and they're out. The Swiss and Turks played good football and they're out.

It may be painful, but what we're doing is effective. And after 2 semis and a QF, I think Southgate is prioritising success over quality, and its the same thing Deschamps is doing with France. And he has won a World Cup as a player and manager.

Boring the Dutch into oblivion is quite the possible outcome and tgrn it's a second final for Southgate. He wants a trophy, and his strategy is working. We've got an easier draw, because he got us to win the group.

Indeed, we were rewarded with our side of the draw BECAUSE we won the group, not in spite of it

For those that were there in '85, the 13 wins included potentially 3 or 4 very good performances and a helluva lot of pragmatic stuff.
Did we care .... not a bit of it
If England win this tournament I won't give a flying one that the football wasn't/isn't great ... the record books will simply show who won

tulip
Hob Nob Addict

by tulip » 07 Jul 2024 12:35

Snowflake Royal It's frustrating that the football is dire, and that England should be capable of the sort of results Spain and Netherlands have got.

Not sure the Dutch will allow England to bore them, they attack. England will need to up their game for sure, they have had a fairly easy time of it so far. I really hope it won't be a France/England final, it will be so undeserved and deadly dull.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 07 Jul 2024 12:38

tulip

Not sure the Dutch will allow England to bore them, they attack. England will need to up their game for sure, they have had a fairly easy time of it so far. I really hope it won't be a France/England final, it will be so undeserved and deadly dull.

They spend a lot of their games being a bit rubbish themselves. They can just turn it on occasionally a bit better.

We managed the Swiss ok.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 07 Jul 2024 12:41

Snowflake Royal

Well indeed.

I just don't enjoy turgid football. If we win the thing playing this garbage stuff - great. I'll be happy enough to have witnessed that mark in history, but can't say I'd see it as much of a cause for celebration.

The best thing for the long-term good of the sport would be for Spain to win because we need attacking football to be seen as the blueprint for success.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 07 Jul 2024 12:43

Royal Rother
Snowflake Royal

Well indeed.

I just don't enjoy turgid football. If we win the thing playing this garbage stuff - great. I'll be happy enough to have witnessed that mark in history, but can't say I'd see it as much of a cause for celebration.

The best thing for the long-term good of the sport would be for Spain to win because we need attacking football to be seen as the blueprint for success.

oxf*rd Spain, they started this shit in the first place.

tulip
Hob Nob Addict

by tulip » 07 Jul 2024 12:46

Royal Rother
Snowflake Royal

Well indeed.

Spain have been the best in this tournament, no doubt. Very enjoyable to watch. Happy for them to win it.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 07 Jul 2024 12:49

tulip
Royal Rother
Snowflake Royal

Well indeed.

Spain have been the best in this tournament, no doubt. Very enjoyable to watch. Happy for them to win it.

Clearly our values are at odds with most football fans.

Oh well.... guess we'll have to live with that. 8)

tulip
Hob Nob Addict

by tulip » 07 Jul 2024 13:14

Royal Rother
tulip
Royal Rother
Well indeed.

Looks like it. May the best team win!

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 08 Jul 2024 14:17

Hoping that SouthGOAT drops Kane and brings in either Toney or Watkins.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 08 Jul 2024 14:54

tulip
Royal Rother
tulip Spain have been the best in this tournament, no doubt. Very enjoyable to watch. Happy for them to win it.

Isn't it a case of being old ,when winning isn't everything?
Add me to your list of those that want to be entertained and if the end result is also what we prefer then even better.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 08 Jul 2024 16:51

South Coast Royal
tulip
Royal Rother

Add me to your list of those that want to be entertained and if the end result is also what we prefer then even better.

Ooof. Well, I'm okay with that but are you going to take that tulip? :D

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 08 Jul 2024 17:21

Tulip's adopted nation does play good football and can still win so its a bit different for her.

You have two teams, one is dreadful to watch and the other decent, you're going to quite easily fall on the side of wanting entertainment over dreadful victory.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 08 Jul 2024 17:31

Snowflake Royal Tulip's adopted nation does play good football and can still win so its a bit different for her.

You have two teams, one is dreadful to watch and the other decent, you're going to quite easily fall on the side of wanting entertainment over dreadful victory.

But they’ve been just as poor as England so far, in the games I’ve watched (being all but one)

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 08 Jul 2024 17:35

Franchise FC
Snowflake Royal Tulip's adopted nation does play good football and can still win so its a bit different for her.

But they’ve been just as poor as England so far, in the games I’ve watched (being all but one)

Their games have been far higher scoring, which is definitely part of entertainment. At higher pace and tempo, which is also a big factor, at least for me. And the last one was certainly better than England's if not by lots.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 08 Jul 2024 18:02

tulip
Royal Rother
Snowflake Royal

Well indeed.

That Spain team that won in 2010 was boring as fcuk. They're partly to blame for the stodge now, as well as Deschamp's France who so many including Southgate see as a blueprint.

Agree I'd like to see a team win with attacking football as an example to others. But I'd rather see England win playing as we are. So basically anyone but France.

tulip
Hob Nob Addict

by tulip » 08 Jul 2024 18:51

Royal Rother
South Coast Royal
tulip Looks like it. May the best team win!

Ooof. Well, I'm okay with that but are you going to take that tulip? :D

I am old, so it's possibly true.

206 posts