CONFRIMED: Takeover collapsed; Back to square one

5420 posts
WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

Re: TAKEOVER *NOT* CONFIMRED

by WestYorksRoyal » 09 Jul 2024 09:02

Stranded
WestYorksRoyal
Hound Yes we just need Bowen to deny it and we know we’re on the home straight :)

I did hear yesterday (not via X) that Couhig was at the training ground meeting the staff and players. Obvs doesn’t mean it’s a done deal but hopeful signs

Presumably Selles and the players will stay now, and we'd still have time to get in a few extra bodies. People will speculate what cuts will happen and how ambitious Couhig is, but the fact is there have been many times in the past 18 months where I thought I may no longer have a club to support. Any takeover is to be celebrated.

One of the rumours going around yesterday about this is that there are 4 free agents that have already been lined up, have deals agreed and will sign once the ownership changes hands.

Paddy McNair rumoured to be one of them but again, lets see how things move in the coming days.

Things only really got going for us pre-season wise whilst I was on holiday last July - I go away on Tuesday so stuff will likely wait until then.

Yes, but then our season started poorly last year. You want a better pre season. Thankfully the spine of the squad is the same and we have enough depth that we can wait until September for new signings to make an impact. It's still less than ideal this has dragged into pre season though.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 09 Jul 2024 09:02

Stranded
WestYorksRoyal
Hound Yes we just need Bowen to deny it and we know we’re on the home straight :)

I did hear yesterday (not via X) that Couhig was at the training ground meeting the staff and players. Obvs doesn’t mean it’s a done deal but hopeful signs

Presumably Selles and the players will stay now, and we'd still have time to get in a few extra bodies. People will speculate what cuts will happen and how ambitious Couhig is, but the fact is there have been many times in the past 18 months where I thought I may no longer have a club to support. Any takeover is to be celebrated.

One of the rumours going around yesterday about this is that there are 4 free agents that have already been lined up, have deals agreed and will sign once the ownership changes hands.

Paddy McNair rumoured to be one of them but again, lets see how things move in the coming days.

Things only really got going for us pre-season wise whilst I was on holiday last July - I go away on Tuesday so stuff will likely wait until then.

Paddy McNair would be a cracking signing.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 09 Jul 2024 09:06

Brogue
Stranded
WestYorksRoyal Presumably Selles and the players will stay now, and we'd still have time to get in a few extra bodies. People will speculate what cuts will happen and how ambitious Couhig is, but the fact is there have been many times in the past 18 months where I thought I may no longer have a club to support. Any takeover is to be celebrated.

Aren't Rangers interested in McNair?

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 09 Jul 2024 09:08

bcubed
Brogue
Stranded

Aren't Rangers interested in McNair?

no idea if they are and we got him, then kudos to the recruitment team. but let's see, it's just twitter spaff atm

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 09 Jul 2024 09:16

McNair could be a good signing. Squads need experience. We used to sign the right sort of experienced players like Harte, Salako and Roberts who still had the hunger. More recently we've got such signings wrong, apart from Morisson who was probably fuelled by proving Brum wrong. Does McNair have the hunger to do well for us? He's had enough of a career that he doesn't need to succeed at his next club.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 09 Jul 2024 09:20

WestYorksRoyal McNair could be a good signing. Squads need experience. We used to sign the right sort of experienced players like Harte, Salako and Roberts who still had the hunger. More recently we've got such signings wrong, apart from Morisson who was probably fuelled by proving Brum wrong. Does McNair have the hunger to do well for us? He's had enough of a career that he doesn't need to succeed at his next club.

only 29 and will still have international ambitions. but then so did Jeff Hendrick...

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 09 Jul 2024 09:38

This is the real deal guys.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 09 Jul 2024 09:41

Elm Park Kid This is the real deal guys.

EPK is the real ITK

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 09 Jul 2024 09:44

Elm Park Kid This is the real deal guys.

Then I think I speak for all of us when I say thank oxf*rd for that.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 09 Jul 2024 10:58

https://www.theguardian.com/football/ar ... dai-yongge

Nothing new in there but it’s another national

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 09 Jul 2024 11:00

Hound https://www.theguardian.com/football/article/2024/jul/09/reading-takeover-former-wycombe-owner-rob-couhig-dai-yongge

Nothing new in there but it’s another national

The fact that nationals are picking up on it suggests that someone is actively briefing that this is pretty much a done deal. Whether that is Couhig himself or someone from inside the club is the question.

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 09 Jul 2024 11:11

Probably be that useless snake Mark Bowen.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal_jimmy » 09 Jul 2024 11:15

RG30
Reading are moving closer towards a long-awaited takeover, with former Wycombe owner Rob Couhig in the final stages of ending Dai Yongge’s turbulent reign.

Couhig, the 75-year-old American businessman, has agreed a deal with Yongge to buy the League One club and sources are cautiously predicting that a sale could be finalised within the next fortnight.

Reading have been mired in financial difficulties for some time under unpopular owner Yongge, with the club docked a total of 18 points for breaking various Football League rules.

Reading FC Women will also play in the fifth tier next season after the club withdrew from the Championship.

Relegated from the Championship in 2023, Reading have spoken to a number of potential investors and a deal with a North American party collapsed in May.

However, Couhig is now very close to completing a takeover after stepping down from League One rivals Wycombe at the end of last season.

Telegraph Sport understands representatives from Couhig’s party were at the Select Car Leasing Stadium on Monday with the transaction now in its final stages.

The EFL declined to comment but it is understood that no issues are expected, with Couhig already passing an Owner and Directors Test in English football.

Couhig attempted to buy Reading’s training ground in March but is now advancing towards an acquisition of the football club.

The deal will end a deeply alarming period for the Berkshire club, who are managed by former Southampton head coach Ruben Selles.

Last year the EFL attempted to have Yongge, the Chinese businessman, disqualified but the commission voted against it.

Reading finished 17th in League One last season, nine points above the relegation zone.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2024/07/09/reading-takeover-news-former-wycombe-owner-rob-couhig/

Not the most popular man amongst our lot but if it means Dai fecks off then I'm all for it

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 09 Jul 2024 11:53

Did good things for Wycombe and obviously knows about football. Cautiously optimistic.

As I noted previously, he did post a cryptic tweet at the time of the Bearwood sale about how we should wait for the full story so maybe that was all part of a wider plan by him.

If the sale goes through, anyone who still holds a grudge is a clueless twat IMO.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 09 Jul 2024 11:53

He’ll very quickly become popular if he boots Dai out the club

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 09 Jul 2024 12:05

Kingsley Junior

by Kingsley Junior » 09 Jul 2024 12:47

We've had good experiences before when owned by someone called Robert, given that John Madejski's birth name was Robert Hurst...

Fox Talbot
Hob Nob Regular

by Fox Talbot » 09 Jul 2024 12:51

Kingsley Junior We've had good experiences before when owned by someone called Robert, given that John Madejski's birth name was Robert Hurst...

Robert Maxwell?

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 09 Jul 2024 12:56

Fox Talbot
Kingsley Junior We've had good experiences before when owned by someone called Robert, given that John Madejski's birth name was Robert Hurst...

Robert Maxwell?

Don’t think he ever got to be the owner

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 09 Jul 2024 12:59

Franchise FC
Fox Talbot

Robert Maxwell?

Don’t think he ever got to be the owner

Even if he was, him dying was a pretty good experience.

5420 posts