CONFRIMED: Takeover collapsed; Back to square one

5403 posts
blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

Re: TAKEOVER *NOT YET* CONFIMRED

by blythspartan » 19 Jul 2024 07:48

Crusader Royal
blythspartan Back in the UK next week and at least it sounds like more positive news on the takeover.

On a separate note there was a tweet from someone connected with the club a few weeks ago and it mentioned that if our academy is downgraded twice, we won’t be able to get our category 1 status back. Anyone know if that’s true? Pretty sure Couhig will want to downgrade it again, which I get.

Possibly a difference between being downgraded because you fail an inspection and voluntarily dropping a category.
Failing twice might be a legitimate reason to suggest you aren’t suitable to run a Cat 1….

Ahh right, that would make sense, cheers.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 19 Jul 2024 07:54

WestYorksRoyal If you observe wider EFL clubs, how much worse is Category 2? Alex Scott coming out of Bristol City is one example I can think of. P'boro have a great academy and have never been Cat 1.

My understanding is to have Cat 1, you need a vast scale of operations which costs a lot, but does that have a bearing on your culture and the standards you set? I know it makes it easier for others to poach your talents, but doesn't this happen to us anyway?

My view is if we need to downgrade to Cat 2 or 3 so be it. Whatever it takes for the club to survive and become more sustainable.

Linden Jones' Tash

by Linden Jones' Tash » 19 Jul 2024 09:13

Assuming what we're reading is true; Chiron + Couhig + cost saving strategy.

Kinda implies they aren't gonna generate value by seeking promotion but more by financial restructuring

This isn't a long term strategy - which makes me think we may well be going through this whole rigmarole again in 18 months or so....

Crusader Royal

by Crusader Royal » 19 Jul 2024 09:18

Linden Jones' Tash Assuming what we're reading is true; Chiron + Couhig + cost saving strategy.

Kinda implies they aren't gonna generate value by seeking promotion but more by financial restructuring

This isn't a long term strategy - which makes me think we may well be going through this whole rigmarole again in 18 months or so....

I’d think a little longer than that
And probably with a much more professional approach to the selling process and a more saleable product.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 19 Jul 2024 09:25

Crusader Royal
Linden Jones' Tash Assuming what we're reading is true; Chiron + Couhig + cost saving strategy.

I’d think a little longer than that
And probably with a much more professional approach to the selling process and a more saleable product.

Yeh, this. Make us more attractive to more ambitious owners, hopefully. Plus how nice will it be simply not to have uncertainty every payday. Even what is described is a massive improvement.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 19 Jul 2024 11:02

So basically we will be run how most clubs in the EFL are run.

Don't see much problem with that.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 19 Jul 2024 11:32

I'll miss the tennis balls.

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 19 Jul 2024 11:44

WestYorksRoyal Isn't it good that the EFL are being firm with buyers? If you're not willing to commit to stabilising us over 2 years, what are you doing buying us? This ensures we'll be more secure, and if this group can't meet their demands there are other interested parties.

Wasn't the world meant to cave in for Everton if 777 were blocked, but now they're on a path to a better owner.

Yeah about that.

[David Ornstein] The Friedkin Group takeover of Everton is off. TFG in exclusive talks for last 4wks but withdrew from negotiations yesterday due to concerns about debt to previous proposed buyers 777. Puts #EFC back in precarious position. By @mjshrimper @TheAthleticFC

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 19 Jul 2024 11:50

Isn't that pretty much what SJM did when he bought the club?

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 19 Jul 2024 12:06

Orion1871
WestYorksRoyal Isn't it good that the EFL are being firm with buyers? If you're not willing to commit to stabilising us over 2 years, what are you doing buying us? This ensures we'll be more secure, and if this group can't meet their demands there are other interested parties.

Wasn't the world meant to cave in for Everton if 777 were blocked, but now they're on a path to a better owner.

Yeah about that.

[David Ornstein] The Friedkin Group takeover of Everton is off. TFG in exclusive talks for last 4wks but withdrew from negotiations yesterday due to concerns about debt to previous proposed buyers 777. Puts #EFC back in precarious position. By @mjshrimper @TheAthleticFC

:lol:

Still think things would have been no better had the PL just given the green light to 777. I know we all just want this saga to end, but I'm glad the EFL are setting a high bar.

If Everton get into real crisis I guess we'll see a regulator more quickly. Big enough to drive change, unlike little old Reading.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 19 Jul 2024 12:11

From Despair To Where?

SJM went further in growing the club, incurring up front losses to do so. Whereas here, it looks like a cheaper clean up operation to then have a club with the potential but not the financial mess to sell on. With luck, the next owner will have the ambitious growth agenda.

Linden Jones' Tash

by Linden Jones' Tash » 19 Jul 2024 12:26

WestYorksRoyal
From Despair To Where?

SJM went further in growing the club, incurring up front losses to do so. Whereas here, it looks like a cheaper clean up operation to then have a club with the potential but not the financial mess to sell on. With luck, the next owner will have the ambitious growth agenda.

Chiron's aim is transparent - to flip a former premier league club acquired at a knock down rate.

The hope, from a fan who enjoys winning and challenging for honours, was that this would mean getting the club out of L1 to grow value via increased revenue potential.

The mood music seems to be cut costs to reduce the losses...

Finding someone to fund £10M of losses per season just to stand still in L1 was always a big ask..

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 19 Jul 2024 12:37

WestYorksRoyal
From Despair To Where?

But his initial remit was to stop the club haemorrhaging a reported £60,000 a week (a mind boggling sum for a Division 3 club in 1991) and he did it by making cuts and reorganising the infrastructure. It was only when he achieved this that he was able to build.

Its exactly what the new owners have to do. Who or how the next step occurs is irrelevant, the first step is exactly the same.
Last edited by From Despair To Where? on 19 Jul 2024 12:38, edited 1 time in total.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 19 Jul 2024 12:38

Crusader Royal
blythspartan Back in the UK next week and at least it sounds like more positive news on the takeover.

On a separate note there was a tweet from someone connected with the club a few weeks ago and it mentioned that if our academy is downgraded twice, we won’t be able to get our category 1 status back. Anyone know if that’s true? Pretty sure Couhig will want to downgrade it again, which I get.

Possibly a difference between being downgraded because you fail an inspection and voluntarily dropping a category.
Failing twice might be a legitimate reason to suggest you aren’t suitable to run a Cat 1….

Seems pretty daft if each time you then get it back to standard. And it would have to be time bound.

Otherwise the whole thing becomes a farce.

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Addict

by Royals and Racers » 19 Jul 2024 12:54

Another RFC notification from companies house today- to do with Asia holdings.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 19 Jul 2024 13:24

Some gavin and Stacey related gif posted up on X

Can only think it’s Sam Smith related but will keep kidding myself it’s a takeover teaser….

Or it’s just smith coming off the bench in a friendly :lol:

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 19 Jul 2024 13:32

Royals and Racers Another RFC notification from companies house today- to do with Asia holdings.

That was the old Thai one. Looks like they're formally gone.

Crusader Royal

by Crusader Royal » 19 Jul 2024 14:13

Snowflake Royal
Crusader Royal

Seems pretty daft if each time you then get it back to standard. And it would have to be time bound.

Odd use of ‘daft’, assuming I’ve interpreted your comment correctly.
If you repeatedly fail to maintain the standards required of an organisation it’s pretty reasonable that you will be excluded at some point.
An Academy should be especially tightly monitored given it deals with children in a high pressure environment.
Achieving standards twice on to lapse below them each time is in itself a red flag isn’t it ?

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 19 Jul 2024 14:59

Crusader Royal
Snowflake Royal
Crusader Royal

If you repeatedly fail to maintain the standards required of an organisation it’s pretty reasonable that you will be excluded at some point.
An Academy should be especially tightly monitored given it deals with children in a high pressure environment.
Achieving standards twice on to lapse below them each time is in itself a red flag isn’t it ?

There's a difference between failing to achieve standards, which happened 2 years ago, and making a strategic decision to scale down your operations.

If we do the latter, it makes no sense to punish us in perpetuity if we're one day in a position to scale up again.

Crusader Royal

by Crusader Royal » 19 Jul 2024 15:03

WestYorksRoyal
Crusader Royal
Snowflake Royal Seems pretty daft if each time you then get it back to standard. And it would have to be time bound.

There's a difference between failing to achieve standards, which happened 2 years ago, and making a strategic decision to scale down your operations.

If we do the latter, it makes no sense to punish us in perpetuity if we're one day in a position to scale up again.

Yes, that’s EXACTLY what I said….

5403 posts