#SellBeforeWeDai (to someone fit and proper)“ supporters action group

2795 posts
Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

Re: #SellBeforeWeDai (to someone fit and proper)“ supporters action group

by Mr Angry » 17 Jul 2024 12:05

The Labour Government has announced in today's Kings Speech that they will re-introduce the Bill to establish an Independent Football Regulator, which the previous Government had to drop as Sunak called an early GE.

Excellent news for all football fans!

:D

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 17 Jul 2024 12:11

Mr Angry The Labour Government has announced in today's Kings Speech that they will re-introduce the Bill to establish an Independent Football Regulator, which the previous Government had to drop as Sunak called an early GE.

So long as the "big boys" don't have their way of course.

Crusader Royal

by Crusader Royal » 17 Jul 2024 13:01

Mr Angry The Labour Government has announced in today's Kings Speech that they will re-introduce the Bill to establish an Independent Football Regulator, which the previous Government had to drop as Sunak called an early GE.

I should know the answer but does this only cover the PL/EFL ?

Fox Talbot
Hob Nob Regular

by Fox Talbot » 17 Jul 2024 16:14

Crusader Royal

Think so. National league were offered in but I think have backed out.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 17 Jul 2024 19:06

Fox Talbot
Crusader Royal

Doesn't surprise me, there's no P&S rules in the NL so putting a regulator in on that would be a can of worms for the NL but they'll need to do so ething eventually to help persuade the FL to grant a third promotion spot.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 17 Jul 2024 22:02

Sutekh
Fox Talbot
Crusader Royal

Doesn't surprise me, there's no P&S rules in the NL so putting a regulator in on that would be a can of worms for the NL but they'll need to do so ething eventually to help persuade the FL to grant a third promotion spot.

Doesn’t it have the potential to having the promotion spots reduced as I assume any team entering the FL would have to comply immediately ?

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 21 Jul 2024 16:50

Fox Talbot
Crusader Royal

I don't see why they should have a choice. Surely the purpose should be to regulate all of football? As Franchise FC said, any club in the National League getting promoted to League Two would have to instantly comply. Does anyone know if there's been a reason given as to why the National League backed out?

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 22 Jul 2024 12:30

I heard a stat that post General Election only 1 of the 92 clubs (Bromley) now sits within a Tory Constituency, the majority now being Labour.
Whilst I don't believe this has had any effect on the bill as it had cross party support prior to the election, It'll probably mean Labour has the ear of football fans more so now than the Conservatives.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 22 Jul 2024 13:36

Forbury Lion

I heard a stat that post General Election only 1 of the 92 clubs (Bromley) now sits within a Tory Constituency, the majority now being Labour.
Whilst I don't believe this has had any effect on the bill as it had cross party support prior to the election, It'll probably mean Labour has the ear of football fans more so now than the Conservatives.

I was trying to work out how many constituencies for the 92 clubs had a Tory MP now!

Ironically, more clubs in Scotland have a Tory MP than in England and Wales.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 22 Jul 2024 14:01

Mr Angry
Forbury Lion

I was trying to work out how many constituencies for the 92 clubs had a Tory MP now!

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/news/only-one-single-football-league-club-now-exists-in-a-conservative-constituency-following-the-2024-general-election-results

It’s one … Bromley

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 22 Jul 2024 14:09

Franchise FC
Mr Angry
Forbury Lion I heard a stat that post General Election only 1 of the 92 clubs (Bromley) now sits within a Tory Constituency, the majority now being Labour.

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/news/only-one-single-football-league-club-now-exists-in-a-conservative-constituency-following-the-2024-general-election-results

It’s one … Bromley

From the link in that article:

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 22 Jul 2024 16:16

Clyde1998
Franchise FC
Mr Angry

It’s one … Bromley

From the link in that article:

The text includes the NL promoted clubs but the chart doesn’t
Pity, because the article is otherwise interesting

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 22 Jul 2024 17:12

Franchise FC

I take it that white indicates a Reform constituency?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 22 Jul 2024 17:22

Franchise FC
Mr Angry
Forbury Lion I heard a stat that post General Election only 1 of the 92 clubs (Bromley) now sits within a Tory Constituency, the majority now being Labour.

It’s one … Bromley

This is going to mostly be the case anyway though right? The Toriesare strong in very wealthy and also rural areas. You're not going to get many rural located clubs, nor many located in particularly high land value areas...

What were the numbers after the last election when they had an 80 majority? 10?

It seems I was way out. :oops: :lol:
Last edited by Snowflake Royal on 22 Jul 2024 17:25, edited 1 time in total.

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 22 Jul 2024 17:23

Sutekh
Franchise FC
Clyde1998 From the link in that article:

I take it that white indicates a Reform constituency?

Independents. Arsenal are in the Islington North constituency; Aston Villa in Birmingham Perry Bar; Blackburn in Blackburn; Leicester in Leicester South.

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 22 Jul 2024 17:35

Snowflake Royal
Franchise FC
Mr Angry

It’s one … Bromley

This is going to mostly be the case anyway though right? The Toriesare strong in very wealthy and also rural areas. You're not going to get many rural located clubs, nor many located in particularly high land value areas...

Based on the 2023-24 leagues (and notional results for the new boundaries used in 2024): Lab 55; Con 37; Oth 0.

As you say, the urban nature of the locations of football clubs will lead to Labour being more likely to win seats with a football club located in it in most elections.

As an aside, I think most clubs are also in different constituencies - Chelsea and Fulham are the only two clubs I can think of which end up in the same constituency as each other (the aptly named Chelsea and Fulham constituency).

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 22 Jul 2024 17:39

Clyde1998
Snowflake Royal

Based on the 2023-24 leagues (and notional results for the new boundaries used in 2024): Lab 55; Con 37; Oth 0.

As you say, the urban nature of the locations of football clubs will lead to Labour being more likely to win seats with a football club located in it in most elections.

As an aside, I think most clubs are also in different constituencies - Chelsea and Fulham are the only two clubs I can think of which end up in the same constituency as each other (the aptly named Chelsea and Fulham constituency).

Yeah, checked and edited shortly after.

Poor Fulham, if you're going to have neighbours there aren't many that would be worse than Chelsea. :evil:

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 23 Jul 2024 09:49

Clyde1998
Snowflake Royal

I checked - Everton and Liverpool are in the same constituency; Liverpool Walton.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 23 Jul 2024 10:10

Mr Angry
Clyde1998
Snowflake Royal This is going to mostly be the case anyway though right? The Toriesare strong in very wealthy and also rural areas. You're not going to get many rural located clubs, nor many located in particularly high land value areas...

I checked - Everton and Liverpool are in the same constituency; Liverpool Walton.

But only for the next year.

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 23 Jul 2024 12:16

Mr Angry
Clyde1998
Snowflake Royal This is going to mostly be the case anyway though right? The Toriesare strong in very wealthy and also rural areas. You're not going to get many rural located clubs, nor many located in particularly high land value areas...

Are they? I thought Liverpool was in Liverpool Riverside and Everton in Walton. That could've been the old boundaries though.

Would be interesting to know if there are any others. Nottm Forest-Notts County was one that came to mind, but Forest are in Rushcliffe and Notts County are in Nottingham South (the boundary being the Trent).

2795 posts