Opposition fans back from the game - 24/25 page 225 onwards

4554 posts
Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Opposition fans back from the game

by Wycombe Royal » 13 Aug 2024 12:40

I wonder if it wasn't given because the ref deemed that May had fouled Mbengue when he leant on him making him miskick the ball. Therefore he played advantage because the ball went back to Pereira.

I don't remember seeing what the ref signalled when the incident happened.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 13 Aug 2024 13:13

Wycombe Royal I wonder if it wasn't given because the ref deemed that May had fouled Mbengue when he leant on him making him miskick the ball. Therefore he played advantage because the ball went back to Pereira.

Yeah, that's guess, especially given what Dirk said about refs hating dealing with indirect kicks in the box. That was his excuse not to give it, but didn’t want to create a bigger fuss by awarding a freekick for something that would never be given under any other circumstances.

Crusader Royal

by Crusader Royal » 13 Aug 2024 13:17

Wycombe Royal I wonder if it wasn't given because the ref deemed that May had fouled Mbengue when he leant on him making him miskick the ball. Therefore he played advantage because the ball went back to Pereira.

That’s not logical. If Mbengue was fouled you give the foul, you don’t confuse things by appearing to not punish another offence and giving a significantly less advantageous position to the defence.
He could have decided there was no intention to play the ball to the keeper and therefore there was no offence, but without seeing it it’s hard to analyse.

Crusader Royal

by Crusader Royal » 13 Aug 2024 13:21

Snowflake Royal

Yeah, that's guess, especially given what Dirk said about refs hating dealing with indirect kicks in the box. That was his excuse not to give it, but didn’t want to create a bigger fuss by awarding a freekick for something that would never be given under any other circumstances.

If refs hated giving kicks for things that lead to chaotic situations in the box then they would never award corners.
At this level if a ref bottles making decisions like that they will be demoted. It might be a slightly awkward situation to ref but it’s no more than that and no referee with any self respect will actually duck out of penalising an offence for those reasons.
I get that refs might not like the indirect free kick in the area scenario but no way will they let players get away with back passes as a result.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 13 Aug 2024 13:22

Crusader Royal

That’s not logical. If Mbengue was fouled you give the foul, you don’t confuse things by appearing to not punish another offence and giving a significantly less advantageous position to the defence.
He could have decided there was no intention to play the ball to the keeper and therefore there was no offence, but without seeing it it’s hard to analyse.

There is absolutely no chance Mbengue wasn't trying to pass to Pereira. It was stone cold clear.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 13 Aug 2024 13:23

Crusader Royal
Snowflake Royal

If refs hated giving kicks for things that lead to chaotic situations in the box then they would never award corners.
At this level if a ref bottles making decisions like that they will be demoted. It might be a slightly awkward situation to ref but it’s no more than that and no referee with any self respect will actually duck out of penalising an offence for those reasons.
I get that refs might not like the indirect free kick in the area scenario but no way will they let players get away with back passes as a result.

The evidence is rather against you on this one, seeing as the referee failed to give the most obvious backpass going in our last game.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 13 Aug 2024 13:57

Crusader Royal

Perfectly logical.....and they play advantage numerous times throughout a match, its at their discretion.

Also I'm not sure why you think Pereira having the ball in his hands is less advantageous to us than having a free kick 5 yards away. If anything it is more advantageous, as Pereira can move around, throw it, or kick it, rather than it being a fixed kick from the floor.

JedMaxwell

by JedMaxwell » 13 Aug 2024 14:09

It seems to me that this latest bit of conversation is predicated on the assumption that refs at this level are a) competent and b) consistent.

I feel for the refs outside the Premier League. They are all doing their best but are largely out of their depth and have been promoted too quickly due to VAR and the general dearth of good officials elsewhere. There's a group in the Prem who are good, but otherwise it's slim pickings.

Even in the Prem they are getting hamstrung by the insistence on using VAR too much and the bizarre interpretation/application of certain laws.

Crusader Royal

by Crusader Royal » 13 Aug 2024 14:16

Wycombe Royal
Crusader Royal

Perfectly logical.....and they play advantage numerous times throughout a match, its at their discretion.

Also I'm not sure why you think Pereira having the ball in his hands is less advantageous to us than having a free kick 5 yards away. If anything it is more advantageous, as Pereira can move around, throw it, or kick it, rather than it being a fixed kick from the floor.

The concept of allowing someone to commit an offence as a form of advantage is a bit weird ! If Mbengue had handled the ball would you still suggest it could be ignored as a form of advantage ?

The keeper with the ball in his hand can be closed down by the opposition and play effectively continues, a free kick in the area means the opposition has to retreat at least 10 yards and allows the defence to control the situation.
But the point remains not penalising a clear pass back isn’t a way of giving advantage after a previous offence. You could play advantage to,the attack if the keeper spilled the ball etc.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 13 Aug 2024 14:20

I’m guessing the ref thought the Brum lad had given Mbengue a shove and therefore the pass back wasn’t necessarily his intention.

But in reality it was a pretty clear pass back and a cock up from the ref

Not sure it’s been mentioned but JP who had a decent game otherwise - not too sure what he was thinking - had plenty of time to whack the ball away rather than risk giving away the foul.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 13 Aug 2024 14:25

Crusader Royal
Wycombe Royal
Crusader Royal

The concept of allowing someone to commit an offence as a form of advantage is a bit weird ! If Mbengue had handled the ball would you still suggest it could be ignored as a form of advantage ?

The keeper with the ball in his hand can be closed down by the opposition and play effectively continues, a free kick in the area means the opposition has to retreat at least 10 yards and allows the defence to control the situation.
But the point remains not penalising a clear pass back isn’t a way of giving advantage after a previous offence. You could play advantage to,the attack if the keeper spilled the ball etc.

What are you going on about? I'm said May (he is a Birmingham player" leaning on Mbengue (a Reading player) - therefore instead of giving Reading a foul he allowed play to continue as Pereira had the ball in his hands.

I guess if you were a ref you'd be blowing up for every niggly little foul rather than trying to let the game flow.

Crusader Royal

by Crusader Royal » 13 Aug 2024 14:25

Snowflake Royal
Crusader Royal
Snowflake Royal Yeah, that's guess, especially given what Dirk said about refs hating dealing with indirect kicks in the box. That was his excuse not to give it, but didn’t want to create a bigger fuss by awarding a freekick for something that would never be given under any other circumstances.

The evidence is rather against you on this one, seeing as the referee failed to give the most obvious backpass going in our last game.

Not sure one example is enough of a sample, and we’ve got no idea what the ref’s thought process was. Unless you are convinced he thought ‘ooo, I hate these tricky indirect free kicks, I’ll just ignore that obvious offence’

Crusader Royal

by Crusader Royal » 13 Aug 2024 14:30

Wycombe Royal
Crusader Royal
Wycombe Royal Perfectly logical.....and they play advantage numerous times throughout a match, its at their discretion.

What are you going on about? I'm said May (he is a Birmingham player" leaning on Mbengue (a Reading player) - therefore instead of giving Reading a foul he allowed play to continue as Pereira had the ball in his hands.

I guess if you were a ref you'd be blowing up for every niggly little foul rather than trying to let the game flow.

If you are going to pick and chose the bits of the action to suit you then it’s a pointless discussion !

The consensus seems to be it was a really obvious pass back.

You suggest that possibly there was a foul on Mbengue, the idea that he only passed it back because he was pushed has been ruled out by Ian

So the ref could penalise the pass back, which he didn’t. Or he could penalise the push, which he didn’t. He can’t offset the push and the pass back and do nothing ( although obviously he did do nothing )

So your issue is with those stating it was the clearest possible pass back…..

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 13 Aug 2024 14:31

Crusader Royal
Snowflake Royal
Crusader Royal

Not sure one example is enough of a sample, and we’ve got no idea what the ref’s thought process was. Unless you are convinced he thought ‘ooo, I hate these tricky indirect free kicks, I’ll just ignore that obvious offence’

Well I'm happy piecing Dirk's admission from a ref, with observed difficulties managing indirect freekicks, the fact they're practically never given, and a mindblowingly obvious one not being given a few days ago, with Occom's Razor.
Last edited by Snowflake Royal on 13 Aug 2024 14:36, edited 1 time in total.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 13 Aug 2024 14:35

Crusader Royal
Wycombe Royal
Crusader Royal

If you are going to pick and chose the bits of the action to suit you then it’s a pointless discussion !

The consensus seems to be it was a really obvious pass back.

You suggest that possibly there was a foul on Mbengue, the idea that he only passed it back because he was pushed has been ruled out by Ian

So the ref could penalise the pass back, which he didn’t. Or he could penalise the push, which he didn’t. He can’t offset the push and the pass back and do nothing ( although obviously he did do nothing )

So your issue is with those stating it was the clearest possible pass back…..

I haven’t said anything of the sort. :|

In fact I agreed with Wycombe. Not that Wycombe said what you claim.

Not really sure why you obviously want to be a nob about it.

It's very clear Mbengue was playing a pass back. May clearly gave Mbengue a gentle nudge, (the sort that basically never gets penalised) which put him a little off balance and may have contributed to the pass back to be hit soft and well short.

Which is why Pereira had to rush out to it, though really didn’t need to pick it up.

Crusader Royal

by Crusader Royal » 13 Aug 2024 15:09

Snowflake Royal

Let’s be honest it’s you descending into silly insults that destroys any attempts at discussion on here.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 13 Aug 2024 15:59

Crusader Royal
Snowflake Royal

Let’s be honest it’s you descending into silly insults that destroys any attempts at discussion on here.

I'm afraid I don’t have a lot of time for people making up what I've said for dishonest pointless arguments.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 13 Aug 2024 16:10

I think Crusader had a few two many bevvies at lunch today.

I merely suggested that the ref might have seen a foul on Mbengue and let it go as the ball went back to Pereira. If that is the case, and I am only suggesting it was, then whether Mbengue intentionally passed it back is irrelevant.

It's hardly a suggestion worthy of an argument, but hey ho......

Esteban

by Esteban » 13 Aug 2024 16:16

The whole problem is the ref didn't signal anything. It's either a foul by May on Mbengue and a freekick to us, or you signal to play an advantage. OR it's a blatant backpass that Pereira rather stupidly fell on, instead of booting it safely out of play, which he had time to do.

The ref bottled the decision and did nothing, which just made things worse.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 13 Aug 2024 16:19

Esteban

The whole problem is the ref didn't signal anything. It's either a foul by May on Mbengue and a freekick to us, or you signal to play an advantage. OR it's a blatant backpass that Pereira rather stupidly fell on, instead of booting it safely out of play, which he had time to do.

The ref bottled the decision and did nothing, which just made things worse.

In my original suggestion I said that I didn't see if the ref signalled anything. However, he must have signalled something to Pereira otherwise he wouldn't have picked the ball up.

4554 posts