CONFRIMED: Takeover collapsed; Back to square one

5389 posts
Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: TAKEOVER CONFIMRED AT LAST!...............(Only joking)

by Brogue » 18 Aug 2024 11:25

Fezza
Brogue
Mid Sussex Royal
Dai wanted Selles after watching Southampton play Arsenal the previous season.

Wing, Knibbs & Smith were all established L1 players and we signed them over other L1 clubs as we are a bigger club than most. Wing lived locally and Smith always wanted to come back.

IMO Selles gets most of the credit for the ways he's improved the younger players like Kelvin, Azeez, Mbengue, Dorsett etc

We also have Brian Carey head of recruitment, and had Jared Dublin our head scout, who left at the end of June 2023. A week or so later we signed knibbs smith and wing. I’m sure he would have been involved in identifying these players.

Bowen lied about olise transfer sell on clause

Bowen lied when he said we’d had our medicine and there would be no further sanctions

Bowen lied when he said there would be no fire sale in January. Then we sold tmac Holmes abbey Vickers.

Bowen never communicates with the fans we’ve had a couple of sound bite interviews from him.

Bowen obviously has a gambling problem.

Disagree with this (if I’m allowed to, given your itk status).

The gambling occurred in a 3 month period, two years ago, when he had nothing to do with RFC. Given that it occurred over such a short period it points to an addict briefly falling off the wagon before getting things under control.

For much of the last 22 months he was the only person at the club saying anything.

:|

‘Mark Bowen admitted that he placed 95 bets on football matches, which were unrelated to Reading, between 19 April 2022 and 14 January 2024.’

Plus this is his second offence for the same thing he did back in 2016 or something whilst at stoke

The Cap
Hob Nob Regular

by The Cap » 18 Aug 2024 11:32

On Strings
Crusader Royal
WestYorksRoyal Bowen gets a lot of stick, but his fingerprints are all over recruiting this team and appointing Selles. We'd be in a much worse situation without him.

And Howe’s job was to sell the club, which it looks like he has done

Howe has been in it for himself since the Zingarevich's, and he's a full blown alcoholic. Get him as far away from this club as possible!

Bold statement, On Strings. We all know the gambling issue is in the public arena. As for alcoholism, where's that originated from?

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: TAKEOVER ALL BUT CONFIMRED

by Brogue » 18 Aug 2024 11:35

WestYorksRoyal And who brought Jared Dublin and Brian Carey to the club?

Bowen signed as director of football operations on the 16th May 2022. Brian Carey signed as head of recruitment on the 19th May 2022. Bowen had no involvement in Carey coming in :| and Dublin was brought in by Carey. Nothing to do with Bowen :|
Last edited by Brogue on 18 Aug 2024 11:37, edited 1 time in total.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 18 Aug 2024 11:36

Brogue
Fezza
Brogue
We also have Brian Carey head of recruitment, and had Jared Dublin our head scout, who left at the end of June 2023. A week or so later we signed knibbs smith and wing. I’m sure he would have been involved in identifying these players.

Bowen lied when he said we’d had our medicine and there would be no further sanctions

Bowen lied when he said there would be no fire sale in January. Then we sold tmac Holmes abbey Vickers.

Bowen never communicates with the fans we’ve had a couple of sound bite interviews from him.

The gambling occurred in a 3 month period, two years ago, when he had nothing to do with RFC. Given that it occurred over such a short period it points to an addict briefly falling off the wagon before getting things under control.

For much of the last 22 months he was the only person at the club saying anything.

‘Mark Bowen admitted that he placed 95 bets on football matches, which were unrelated to Reading, between 19 April 2022 and 14 January 2024.’

Plus this is his second offence for the same thing he did back in 2016 or something whilst at stoke

Given your well known and archaic view on mental health issues, I think wecan safely just ignore you on this.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 18 Aug 2024 11:38

I am assuming Bowen will go. Jacobson will be a CEO with more footballing experience and may consume the DoF role, particularly as we have the likes of Carey for recruitment and Hunt / Gilkes for youth development. And I won't be shedding a tear for him.

I'm just pointing out that recruitment decisions on and off the pitch have improved since he returned, compared with the method of lining Kia's pockets. Selles and the team have been instrumental in making this club saleable and creating something for new owners to build upon, so those upstairs deserve credit for putting it together. If you think that's Dai and Pang, fine. Thank them instead.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 18 Aug 2024 11:39

Snowflake Royal
Brogue
Fezza

Given your well known and archaic view on mental health issues, I think wecan safely just ignore you on this.

Oh do fcuk off ian :roll:

In the 1st June on the mark Bowen betting thread ian royal wrote

Snowflake Royal Great, so the only explanation for Bowen being charged with betting on football whilst employed by a professional football team for a second time is that he is a gambling addict.

Our man in charge of transfers and contracts, appears to be a gambling addict.

:| you spam the board with so much shit you can’t even remember you own posts ffs.
Last edited by Brogue on 18 Aug 2024 11:47, edited 1 time in total.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 18 Aug 2024 11:41

I wouldn’t be surprised if Jacobson replaces Bowen as DOF.

Personally, I don’t have an issue with Bowen as I think we can all have our demons and I try not to be too judgemental. However, I can see why he’ll divide opinions. He’s done some good and bad for the club, but we shouldn’t forget that working for Dai and Pang must’ve been a nightmare.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 18 Aug 2024 11:41

WestYorksRoyal I am assuming Bowen will go. Jacobson will be a CEO with more footballing experience and may consume the DoF role, particularly as we have the likes of Carey for recruitment and Hunt / Gilkes for youth development. And I won't be shedding a tear for him.

I'm just pointing out that recruitment decisions on and off the pitch have improved since he returned, compared with the method of lining Kia's pockets. Selles and the team have been instrumental in making this club saleable and creating something for new owners to build upon, so those upstairs deserve credit for putting it together. If you think that's Dai and Pang, fine. Thank them instead.

The improved recruitment also coincides with the appointment of our…. Wait for it, … director of recruitment :shock: :lol: funny that. I’d say he is deserves far more praise than Bowen…

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 18 Aug 2024 11:50

The Cap
On Strings
Crusader Royal
And Howe’s job was to sell the club, which it looks like he has done

Howe has been in it for himself since the Zingarevich's, and he's a full blown ******. Get him as far away from this club as possible!

Bold statement, On Strings. We all know the gambling issue is in the public arena. As for *****, where's that originated from?

I hope whoever is saying the latter has deep pockets and can afford expensive libel lawyers.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 18 Aug 2024 11:56

If Bowen goes for footballing reasons I’ve no major issue with it but I do think where we are now in terms of players and style is at least partly down to him, possibly substantially

I’m not having clueless Dai having any credit for Selles I’m afraid. I doubt he barely even met him

I’m pretty sure without going back to check videos the likes of Wing, Savage and Elliot credited Bowen with selling them the club rather than Carey or Selles

We’ll never know in all honesty how much he knew or had any power about things like the ‘fire sale’ - it did sound at the time like Pang just came and sold whoever he could over everyone’s head. Tbf they managed to protect the first team

I do get he is divisive and a lot of whether you like him or not is just interpretations of things that have happened without us having a huge amount of knowledge about it

One thing you don’t hear too much though is criticism of him from previous players etc

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 18 Aug 2024 11:57

Brogue
WestYorksRoyal I am assuming Bowen will go. Jacobson will be a CEO with more footballing experience and may consume the DoF role, particularly as we have the likes of Carey for recruitment and Hunt / Gilkes for youth development. And I won't be shedding a tear for him.

The improved recruitment also coincides with the appointment of our…. Wait for it, … director of recruitment :shock: :lol: funny that. I’d say he is deserves far more praise than Bowen…

Good idea from Bowen to bring Carey in then.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 18 Aug 2024 12:01

Orion1871
Brogue

Good idea from Bowen to bring Carey in then.

As I said above
Bowen signed as director of football operations on the 16th May 2022. Brian Carey signed as head of recruitment on the 19th May 2022. Bowen had no involvement in Carey coming in.

He had already been identified interviewed and accepted the role before Bowen was in post.

Fezza

by Fezza » 18 Aug 2024 12:16

Brogue
Fezza
Brogue

My bad, misread / understood this bit;
“A small number of the bets placed by Bowen occurred while he was interim manager of AFC Wimbledon between March and May 2022.”

Still think it’s harsh to overly punish someone with a neurological illness.

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 18 Aug 2024 12:33

Bowen’s position is untenable and should be removed once the Couhig’s have been given the green light.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 18 Aug 2024 12:45

Fezza
Brogue
Fezza

“A small number of the bets placed by Bowen occurred while he was interim manager of AFC Wimbledon between March and May 2022.”

Counter point - he knew the consequences and should have sought professional help, especially as he'd already faced an FA charge once. You can't play the victim forever if you don't actively try and address the problem.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 18 Aug 2024 13:05

Brogue
Snowflake Royal
Brogue

Snowflake Royal Great, so the only explanation for Bowen being charged with betting on football whilst employed by a professional football team for a second time is that he is a gambling addict.

:| you spam the board with so much shit you can’t even remember you own posts ffs.

Yeah and?

Do you see me attacking him, wanting him out or pretending his successes here didn't exist?

No, you don't. Do you see me belittling addiction or addiction being a mental health issue?

No.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 18 Aug 2024 13:10

Snowflake Royal
Brogue
Snowflake Royal Given your well known and archaic view on mental health issues, I think wecan safely just ignore you on this.

Yeah and?

Do you see me attacking him, wanting him out or pretending his successes here didn't exist?

No, you don't. Do you see me belittling addiction or addiction being a mental health issue?

No.

:lol: Classic ian. You’ve once again been called out on something and you never own it can you. Always try and weasel your way out of things.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 18 Aug 2024 13:11

Brogue
Snowflake Royal
Brogue

Yeah and?

No.

:lol: Classic ian. You’ve once again been called out on something and you never own it can you. Always try and weasel your way out of things.

Get it right and I'll own it.

Fezza

by Fezza » 18 Aug 2024 13:17

WestYorksRoyal
Fezza
Brogue

Counter point - he knew the consequences and should have sought professional help, especially as he'd already faced an FA charge once. You can't play the victim forever if you don't actively try and address the problem.

Given the relatively lenient sentence you’d assume that there was some mitigation with this. As ever we’re all clutching at straws in terms of the information. I feel he’s done a very good job at the club in awful circumstances and want to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 18 Aug 2024 13:26

Fezza
WestYorksRoyal
Fezza

Given the relatively lenient sentence you’d assume that there was some mitigation with this. As ever we’re all clutching at straws in terms of the information. I feel he’s done a very good job at the club in awful circumstances and want to give him the benefit of the doubt.

And sometimes it takes time to find the right help. Sometimes people have shit going on that triggers a relapse, and sometimes nothing works. Going a little further from home than HNA, only recently this was underlined by Graham Thorpe's battle with depression and anxiety. He fought it hard, tried lots of different help but sadly none of it saved him.

Assuming Bowen does have a problem, I hope he's getting the help and support he needs. Despite some negatives here, he's been a real positive force at the club. Sometimes a lone one.

5389 posts