MATCHWATCH : Charlton Athletic (h)

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: MATCHWATCH : Charlton Athletic (h)

by Snowflake Royal » 31 Aug 2024 17:08

Pereira made two absolutely top class saves in that game.

Savage bossed it.

Akande constant threat.

Mbengue everywhere.

No poor performances.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 31 Aug 2024 17:09

Hound Having watched 3 of those 4 games, there is no reason if this bloody takeover ever happens and we can get some solid free agents in we can’t challenge for the top 6

Early away win needed to convince me. If we get 2 points from our first 4 away games, that suggests an issue too big to overcome.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 31 Aug 2024 17:11

skipper If Alkande can keep that up we dont need a replacement for Azeez.

Squad hasnt got depth, but we just dominated a team who won their opening 3 games comfortably.

Super computer may be right

Depends a bit on injuries as well. Get Knibbs , Yiadom and Camara back, Campbell joining we could have a bench of

Gk, Abrefa, Wareham, Savage, Craig, Camara, Dean, Rushesha for example , with players like Akande, Senga, Kanu, Tuma, Garcia as back up

Add say 3 free agents to that mix and we look ok

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 31 Aug 2024 17:16

Hound

Squad hasnt got depth, but we just dominated a team who won their opening 3 games comfortably.

Depends a bit on injuries as well. Get Knibbs , Yiadom and Camara back, Campbell joining we could have a bench of

Gk, Abrefa, Wareham, Savage, Craig, Camara, Dean, Rushesha for example , with players like Akande, Senga, Kanu, Tuma, Garcia as back up

Savage has been superb. Is he the one to go on the bench? It’s a great headache for selles to have. When knibbs is back does he get back into the team? Or do we stick him out on the right. And continue with wing Elliott and savage in the middle?

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 31 Aug 2024 17:19

Brogue
Hound

Savage has been superb. Is he the one to go on the bench? It’s a great headache for selles to have. When knibbs is back does he get back into the team? Or do we stick him out on the right. And continue with wing Elliott and savage in the middle?

Team is playing well, Savage is contributing. He keeps the shirt for me. What a wonderful change from so many years where mediocre players were assured of their shirt.

Plus, Knibbs has the energy to make a massive impact off the bench
Last edited by WestYorksRoyal on 31 Aug 2024 17:19, edited 1 time in total.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 31 Aug 2024 17:19

Brogue
Hound

Yeah difficult decisions certainly. Above was just an example really, we’ve got some good options. Craig likewise has been excellent

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 31 Aug 2024 17:28

Next 3 games include Bolton and Huddersfield too, so no let up (and our postponed game was a tough one at Stockport too).

Would suggest that at some point a very good run of fixtures is on the horizon.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 31 Aug 2024 17:28

Yeah I think we are not as light on numbers as people think. It’s early in the season admittedly. But it looks like the current crop of youngsters are not only ready to play at this level but could in all honesty excel at this level. Akande today looked as good as any winger in the division. One game I know and we can’t get carried away, but Azeez, who?. Craig took a while, but looks adept as a right back. Dorset gets better by the game and should definitely be our first choice left back now. The more minutes these youngsters get the better they will get.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 31 Aug 2024 17:37

Also how nice is it to have a decent keeper between the sticks. Lumley was ok button didn’t pull up any trees. Southwood meh. Rafael? He was alright to be fair but I think Pereira is better. I’d say he’s the best since Martinez 18/19.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 31 Aug 2024 17:39

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 31 Aug 2024 17:53

WestYorksRoyal Dean on to see the game out scares me.
:lol: you worry too much.

See Azeez got on for 5 minutes at Millwall (but it was Jake Cooper (their captain) that scored…Ex-player X-over

karbota
Hob Nob Regular

by karbota » 31 Aug 2024 18:09

Let's give credit due to a magnificent home win today, but also let us not get too far carried away.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 31 Aug 2024 18:19

I think the most impressive thing about Akande, is that two games ago(?) in the cup, he looked a bit too eager to perform, everything was at a million miles an hour and his decision making was quite poor, trying to force himself into a chance too much, maybe a bit greedy. But that was a mature performance, where he was doing his defensive work and really looking to create for his team. He looked calmer, more composed and more controlled.

That's a very quick transition. He's going to be up and down for a while yet, almost all young inexperienced players go through that. But it's very promising.

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 31 Aug 2024 18:25

Don't think I need to add much to what people have said. Very happy with the performance and result.

Special shout out to Akande, who didn't look out of place today and recovered well from his missed open goal opportunity (possibly a penalty though?) to have a fantastic run and cross for the second.

After that performance, I wouldn't be surprised if we don't make any changes for Leyton Orient, even if players like Knibbs and Camara are available after the international break.

Not really sure how Charlton had won three of three prior to this. They seemed to only be a serious threat from counter attacks and set pieces, although they did seem rather well organised for a side at this level. Then again, they've played Wigan, Leyton Orient and Bolton - all three have had awful starts to the season.

A good start to the league season.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 31 Aug 2024 18:26

Another great home performance and literally everyone played well. I was actually pleased for Dean tbf and I have been a big critic. I am enjoying my football again as I did for most of last season. After years of total sh!t I love watching us play again.

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 31 Aug 2024 18:27

Snowflake Royal I think the most impressive thing about Akande, is that two games ago(?) in the cup, he looked a bit too eager to perform, everything was at a million miles an hour and his decision making was quite poor, trying to force himself into a chance too much, maybe a bit greedy. But that was a mature performance, where he was doing his defensive work and really looking to create for his team. He looked calmer, more composed and more controlled.

That's a very quick transition. He's going to be up and down for a while yet, almost all young inexperienced players go through that. But it's very promising.

Yes. He looked a long way off the pace on his performances against Colchester and West Ham U21s, but grew into the game against Wrexham and was impressive today; he seemed to have played a much more natural game today.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 31 Aug 2024 18:36

Really important to keep a clean sheet at home again; good to have a "Fortress MadStad" mentality so soon in the season!

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 31 Aug 2024 18:47

Really decent performance that. Pereira pulled off a couple of superb saves and was thoroughly excellent at coming out and collecting crosses and loose balls. Can safely say he is a step up from Button. While not a full back thought Craig put in a decent stint and played a few useful balls up the line when required. Dorsett and Bindon were both decent and Mbengue still stands out.

Fantastic goal from Savage and Akande got his head down and delivered a brilliant ball for the second so soon after the disappointment on missing out on the earlier battle with their keeper. Great of Selles to sub him shortly after so he could get the appreciation of the fans.

Thought Tuma looked ******* scary for defenders when he came on and think he could be one to change things from the bench with a bit more experience.

Harrison Delbridge

by Harrison Delbridge » 31 Aug 2024 18:54

Snowflake Royal Pereira made two absolutely top class saves in that game.

Savage bossed it.

Akande constant threat.

Mbengue everywhere.

No poor performances.

I take it that you were at the game?

skipper
Hob Nob Regular

by skipper » 31 Aug 2024 19:25

Harrison Delbridge
Snowflake Royal Pereira made two absolutely top class saves in that game.

Savage bossed it.

Akande constant threat.

Mbengue everywhere.

No poor performances.

I take it that you were at the game?

I think he was sat close to me in 1st half