Generic clubs in financial crisis Thread

5739 posts
From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Generic clubs in financial crisis Thread

by From Despair To Where? » 16 Aug 2024 15:05

John Texlor granted exclusivity to buy Everton. Shame he's got to sell his 45% stake in Crystal Palace first and that's not happening any time soon.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 20 Aug 2024 18:12

Result of investigation into Chelsea's dodgy payments under Abramovic apparently going to be heard sometime soon.

Football finance matey on Talksport reckons a points penalty may well happen.

He said when FFP is decided they look at whether a club gained a sporting advantage, and if they did then a sporting penalty is dished out, i.e a points penalty. This issue with Chelsea is not around FFP (although there is an outside chance a knock on effect of the dodgy payments is that they took Chelsea over the FFP line) but the same rule should really apply, and Chelsea fully admit they made these under the table payments to players in order to sign them, so there is clear sporting advantage gained.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 20 Aug 2024 21:26

Winston Biscuit Result of investigation into Chelsea's dodgy payments under Abramovic apparently going to be heard sometime soon.

He said when FFP is decided they look at whether a club gained a sporting advantage, and if they did then a sporting penalty is dished out, i.e a points penalty. This issue with Chelsea is not around FFP (although there is an outside chance a knock on effect of the dodgy payments is that they took Chelsea over the FFP line) but the same rule should really apply, and Chelsea fully admit they made these under the table payments to players in order to sign them, so there is clear sporting advantage gained.

But the farcical stupidity of it is that those penalties should be being applied within the season the rules were broken rather than years later! Still better late than never, looking forward to Chelsea fans everywhere bellyaching that it's not fair and that the PL are being vindictive etc.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 21 Aug 2024 11:33

Sutekh
Winston Biscuit Result of investigation into Chelsea's dodgy payments under Abramovic apparently going to be heard sometime soon.

But the farcical stupidity of it is that those penalties should be being applied within the season the rules were broken rather than years later! Still better late than never, looking forward to Chelsea fans everywhere bellyaching that it's not fair and that the PL are being vindictive etc.

Whilst in theory that is true, it's often not feasible is it esp if the facts come out a few months/years down the line.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 03 Sep 2024 22:43

Leicester avoid pints deductions because they were relegated. Exploiting a loop hole and making a mockery of PSR

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/ar ... g54xkqnzlo

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 04 Sep 2024 07:42

Brogue Leicester avoid points deductions because they were relegated. Exploiting a loop hole and making a mockery of PSR

An independent panel found the Premier League did not have the jurisdiction to punish the club.

So the Premier League do not have the jurisdiction to punish a Premier League club for offences incurred during their time in the Premier League. This is absolutely ****** stupid. Guess Man City will be getting off pretty much scot free then (as if we don't know that already).

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 04 Sep 2024 08:07

Sutekh
Brogue Leicester avoid points deductions because they were relegated. Exploiting a loop hole and making a mockery of PSR

An independent panel found the Premier League did not have the jurisdiction to punish the club.

So the Premier League do not have the jurisdiction to punish a Premier League club for offences incurred during their time in the Premier League. This is absolutely ****** stupid. Guess Man City will be getting off pretty much scot free then (as if we don't know that already).

It’s because they submitted their accounts on the 30th June. By which time they were no longer a premier league club.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 04 Sep 2024 08:11

What I don't understand is that this loop hole used is all about timing as Leicester say they were already relegated so not a PL club anymore, but that just isn't true. The season runs to 11:59:59 on 30th June, 1 second later and you are into the new season where they were then an EFL club. Whether you confirmed your relegation status in May or even April, the season is still ongoing until 1st July.

Maybe I am just misunderstanding something about Leicester's claim. Are they saying that the moment they were relegated they should no longer have been considered a PL club?

aren't they also in trouble if they are relegated as this decision means they were an EFL club so that loss goes against their EFL numbers which would be worse?

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 04 Sep 2024 08:33

Winston Biscuit What I don't understand is that this loop hole used is all about timing as Leicester say they were already relegated so not a PL club anymore, but that just isn't true. The season runs to 11:59:59 on 30th June, 1 second later and you are into the new season where they were then an EFL club. Whether you confirmed your relegation status in May or even April, the season is still ongoing until 1st July.

Maybe I am just misunderstanding something about Leicester's claim. Are they saying that the moment they were relegated they should no longer have been considered a PL club?

aren't they also in trouble if they are relegated as this decision means they were an EFL club so that loss goes against their EFL numbers which would be worse?

Looking forward to PSR/FFP being dropped sometime soon for the salary capped squad approach, and all the shenanigans that'll bring.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 04 Sep 2024 08:41

just going to contact HMRC to say that as I sorted out my taxes for the year in February, I no longer consider that in March I was in the 23/24 tax year. Doesn't matter that the tax year was still going on, I will now decide which date I end a tax year on and move into the new one.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 04 Sep 2024 14:33

Lol, bit of reverse Uno apparently now possible, with the Leicester nearing the deadline to submit their 23-24 accounts, and under the precedent set by the prior judgement, the PL expecting to have jurisdiction to charge the club if they breached.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 04 Sep 2024 14:36

Maybe they can celebrate by finally paying for their stadium.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 04 Sep 2024 18:49

Efl release a statement about Leicester

The EFL notes the decision of the independent Appeal Board in respect of Leicester City’s appeal regarding the Premier League’s jurisdiction over the Club’s alleged breach of its Profitability and Sustainability Rules.

We are currently reviewing the decision in full and will reserve any further substantive comment until any possible appeal process initiated by the Premier League has concluded, and or any action is taken by the EFL.

We share the frustrations of the Premier League. It cannot be right that Clubs potentially escape the scrutiny of the agreed rules and sanctions due to movement across the divisions.

Cost control rules have been agreed by the member clubs of the Premier League and EFL, and it is incumbent on the Leagues to apply the rules as intended to uphold the integrity of competitions, with Clubs required to act in utmost good faith towards one another for the benefit of all Clubs and their supporters.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 04 Sep 2024 19:59

Brogue Efl release a statement about Leicester

The EFL notes the decision of the independent Appeal Board in respect of Leicester City’s appeal regarding the Premier League’s jurisdiction over the Club’s alleged breach of its Profitability and Sustainability Rules.

We are currently reviewing the decision in full and will reserve any further substantive comment until any possible appeal process initiated by the Premier League has concluded, and or any action is taken by the EFL.

We share the frustrations of the Premier League. It cannot be right that Clubs potentially escape the scrutiny of the agreed rules and sanctions due to movement across the divisions.

Cost control rules have been agreed by the member clubs of the Premier League and EFL, and it is incumbent on the Leagues to apply the rules as intended to uphold the integrity of competitions, with Clubs required to act in utmost good faith towards one another for the benefit of all Clubs and their supporters.

I can't imagine other clubs are too happy about the stupidity of this independent panel's decision. These rules are there to protect them as much as penalising offenders. Leicester could find themselves becoming the latest pariah in a league with already more than it's fair share of clubs hated for questionable dealings.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 04 Sep 2024 22:13

Sutekh

I can't imagine other clubs are too happy about the stupidity of this independent panel's decision. These rules are there to protect them as much as penalising offenders. Leicester could find themselves becoming the latest pariah in a league with already more than it's fair share of clubs hated for questionable dealings.

Won't be the first time their financial chicanery has prompted a change in the regulations.

I really hope it comes back to kick them in the nuts.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 04 Sep 2024 22:19

From Despair To Where? Won't be the first time their financial chicanery has prompted a change in the regulations

Was absolutely my first thought too!

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 05 Sep 2024 08:40

I have a solution. Scrap the Premier League and bring the whole structure back under one body. The football League. Problem solved.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 05 Sep 2024 12:04

Snowflake Royal

I have a solution. Scrap the Premier League and bring the whole structure back under one body. The football League. Problem solved.

If only it was 1 team and 1 vote.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 23 Sep 2024 15:06

Friedkin Group back in for Everton.

5739 posts