Is this the Aston Villa thread?

291 posts
Once were Biscuitmen

by Once were Biscuitmen » 24 Aug 2006 00:34

Disappointed at the result but generally quite a good performance.

I was in the Doug Ellis home stand owing to a work outing. Missed our goal thanks to the ba$tard M6 but we looked on the back foot after the goal and I was expecting us to concede before the penalty. From what I could see looked liked a penalty and a sending off even if Sonko didn’t mean it. Have not seen the replay though.

Bizarrely thought we looked far more comfortable with ten men although with no Kitson to hold the ball up at the front it was even more difficult. The Villa fans really don’t like their starting left back much and they were also having a good moan just before their winning goal. Very good cross for the winner and a good move from O’Neil to use a midfielder in the place of the woeful and much maligned left back.

Hyeon again looked fantastic and put some great crosses in but needs to work on his habit of falling over to easily. Also the corner taking clearly needs a bit of work and keeping it simple might be a good start.

Biggest Reading moan of the night must be Marcus’ awful distribution. He kicked straight to the villa keeper about 6 times! God knows why he didn’t just play it short. We’re still at least a central defender and defensive midfielder away from a comfortable(ish) season just outside the drop zone.

Away support sounded fantastic throughout and villa only really replied in patches..

Gav
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Gav » 24 Aug 2006 00:38

Once were Biscuitmen Bizarrely thought we looked far more comfortable with ten men although with no Kitson to hold the ball up at the front it was even more difficult. The Villa fans really don’t like their starting left back much.

J'Lo?

URZZZZZZZZ
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Long knocks it back in.............IT'S READING WHO TAKE A MASSIVE STEP TOWARDS WEMBLEY!!

by URZZZZZZZZ » 24 Aug 2006 00:40

Back from the game, what a hock of shit (referee wise), goodnight!

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 24 Aug 2006 00:50

I went with 2 Villa STHs and they were both very impressed by Reading.

They believe we will have no problem staying up and that we played really GOOD football. We all agreed Seol was our MOM again. He had Samuel tied up in knots.

Seriously guys, hardly been mentioned so far but the first 20 minutes of the 2nd half we were top-notch, knocking the ball around like we were the ones with a man advantage. Very very promising I thought and anyone going home gutted at the defeat should look on the many positives that came from the game.

Squad thin, sure, but having seen how well we can perform at this level I'm confident that the hinges on JM's cheque book will be rather more oiled than if we had looked out of our depth so far.

I think we're in for some great times this season.

(As someone else said, bastard M6!!)

zac naloen

by zac naloen » 24 Aug 2006 00:59

Royal Rother I went with 2 Villa STHs and they were both very impressed by Reading.

They believe we will have no problem staying up and that we played really GOOD football. We all agreed Seol was our MOM again. He had Samuel tied up in knots.

Seriously guys, hardly been mentioned so far but the first 20 minutes of the 2nd half we were top-notch, knocking the ball around like we were the ones with a man advantage. Very very promising I thought and anyone going home gutted at the defeat should look on the many positives that came from the game.

Squad thin, sure, but having seen how well we can perform at this level I'm confident that the hinges on JM's cheque book will be rather more oiled than if we had looked out of our depth so far.

Me and my dad managed to own the M6 using AA routemaster. Sent us through center of brum cos of the roadworks and we made better time than people who'd left an hour ahead of us 8)

I have nothing really to add what hasn't already been said. Other than, joke of a ref. All i ask for is consistency. Send off sonko for nothing and then let a player who makes two clear yellow card worthy tackles stay on pitch?? You're having a laugh Mason. I'm not going to claim big club bias, Because frankly i just think he was plain rubbish. Some of his decisions either way had me speechless.

Oh and whoever that idiot villa supporter on 5live who reckons they walked all over us was, you sir are an idiot.

That match was stolen from us by poor refereeing. /rant off

Ollie Kearns is in Buxton
Location: Near the source of the UK's No 1 Natural Mineral Water

by Ollie Kearns is in Buxton » 24 Aug 2006 01:52

Crap view in terms of perspective due to ancient away seating.

Agree - esp with RR's comment re the opening of the 2nd half - top dog play with 10 blue bottles on the pitch - their goal came outta the bloo. The 1st 25 mins of the 1st half contained gud stuff too.

aYE catching: Seol, Doyle, Sidwell & Shorey (so composed in possession). Worth mentioning the stand-in member of our Icelandic 2nd String Central Defensive pairing, Brynar, who added a better element of control on the ball to the postn, irrespective of whether there were any defensive deficincies.

Agree with comment re USA's GKing n distribtn- moreso in the 2nd half which is weird science as there were 2/3 times early doors in the 1st half when we played the ball along the back 4 to gud effect.

Gripe: Convey shud've been substd instead of Leroy - Doyler taking oop the left berth. Wasn't impressed by Bobby on Sat or today (up until the pen or aftwds either). To prove the point Hunt showed more zip n threat in his cameo than Convey all game. Shades of a disrupted pre-season? His early form harks back t'the days when he first trod the Madjeski Boards to our initial despair.

Great support, from all there. Overall, there were passages of our play against Villa that were sexier than anythg last season. No complaints re effort, resolve and achievement, tho' we were denied the true justice of a draw. Felt proud to be a supporter, the performance eclisped the result.

They obviously don't hand out the home fans' song sheets until the 80th min - all together now: Vir-ur-lah, Vir-ur-lah, Vir-ur-lah (rept).

royalsteve

by royalsteve » 24 Aug 2006 02:37

Chaney Yesssssss Doyle :lol:

oh bollox i missed it...stuck in a traffic jam on the way to the game...brum is such a craphole.....left at 16:10 and 9 miles from the ground with 1.5 hours to spare.....got to the ground at 19:50ish!!

royalsteve

by royalsteve » 24 Aug 2006 02:40

Royal Rother I went with 2 Villa STHs and they were both very impressed by Reading.

agreed....i spoke to a villa fan and he thought Doyle and Soel were excellent.....

royalsteve

by royalsteve » 24 Aug 2006 02:41

zac naloen

Me and my dad managed to own the M6 using AA routemaster. Sent us through center of brum cos of the roadworks and we made better time than people who'd left an hour ahead of us 8)

I have nothing really to add what hasn't already been said. Other than, joke of a ref. All i ask for is consistency. Send off sonko for nothing and then let a player who makes two clear yellow card worthy tackles stay on pitch?? You're having a laugh Mason. I'm not going to claim big club bias, Because frankly i just think he was plain rubbish. Some of his decisions either way had me speechless.

Oh and whoever that idiot villa supporter on 5live who reckons they walked all over us was, you sir are an idiot.

That match was stolen from us by poor refereeing. /rant off

we went through brum tooo but it was still choked but not as bad as staying on the M6 by the sounds of it

earley_royals
Location: I am earley, super earley, i am earley, from Earley.

by earley_royals » 24 Aug 2006 10:49

zac naloen Oh and whoever that idiot villa supporter on 5live who reckons they walked all over us was, you sir are an idiot.

Mohammed, I believe his name was. :roll:

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 24 Aug 2006 11:12

The Villa chap I was travelling with immediately apologised for Mohammed and called him a fcuking idiot! :lol:

291 posts