BFTG - Clinging on to 6th place

211 posts
Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

Re: BFTG - Clinging on to 6th place

by Wycombe Royal » 15 Apr 2014 13:17

i thought last night that our defending in both full back areas was poor. This isn't just aimed at the two full backs but also anyone else who was "not" helping out. Their goal came about as a direct result of not closing down the wide player and allowing him too much time to get the ball in to the box. We need to defend these areas better and not leave ourselves so exposed, especially when the opposition have players making overlapping runs.

On the flip side when we are attacking the wide areas why do we never seem to make overlapping runs? Obita did this when playing left back, and Gunter does occasionally, but McAnuff and McCleary don't at all, McAnuff just runs infield leaving the player out wide with no support and generally two defenders to try and beat whilst McCleary just stays back and stands still. it drives me nuts, just make an eoverlapping run - you don't have to get into a position to receive the ball because just the run in itself will create space as you will probably take a defender with you.

Irvinchangeyaname

by Irvinchangeyaname » 15 Apr 2014 13:26

SCIAG McCarthy did well except for the goal.

I thought McCarthy had a superb game. Not sure what he did wrong for the goal?

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 15 Apr 2014 13:29

Irvinchangeyaname

He didn't do anything wrong - I think people think cos he didn't dive he was at fault. Fact is Hector (or was it Obita) should have stopped the shot coming in instead of turning his back.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 15 Apr 2014 13:31

yes he did.

was a very tired tackle from someone who'd only been on for 16 mins though

Handsome Man
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Practically Rock Paper Scissors Champion of the World

by Handsome Man » 15 Apr 2014 13:34

Irvinchangeyaname

He let it in without diving: it was a massively unnecessary error. If he had been awake he would have stopped it.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 15 Apr 2014 13:38

he didnt see it.

came through a huge crowd, and he was totally unsighted...

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 15 Apr 2014 13:38

Handsome Man
Irvinchangeyaname

He let it in without diving: it was a massively unnecessary error. If he had been awake he would have stopped it.

Except that he couldn't see it through the crowd of players. So my question to you is how did he know he needed to dive (and which way) if he couldn't see the shot? Unfortunately he left his x-ray glasses in the dressing room.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 15 Apr 2014 13:43

Varney was blocking his view.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 15 Apr 2014 13:46

Pepe the Horseman Varney was blocking his view.

That's quite some achievement seeing as he plays for Blackburn at the moment.

BraisingsteakRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by BraisingsteakRoyal » 15 Apr 2014 13:47

Wycombe Royal Except that he couldn't see it through the crowd of players. So my question to you is how did he know he needed to dive (and which way) if he couldn't see the shot? Unfortunately he left his x-ray glasses in the dressing room.

My sons a keeper so I can sympathize with McCarthy, and whilst it wasn't his fault - it could be argued that he could have shouted his defenders out the way and/or get in a position where he could see the ball.. (but yeah the shot came in very quickly and all that)

Cureton's Volley
Hob Nob Regular

by Cureton's Volley » 15 Apr 2014 13:47

Victor Meldrew A reasonable point last night but with all the talk of play-offs we are 26 points behind the top spot , 19 points off 2nd and 23 points above a relegation position which gives the feeling of being a run-of-the-mill mid-table team.
The play-offs carrot gives a false perspective.

This is such a good point. Far too many people are influenced wholly upon the league table position, when infact points give a much more accurate reflection of performance.

Everything about Reading FC has been distinctly average this season - except of course for our wage bill

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 15 Apr 2014 13:48

BraisingsteakRoyal
Wycombe Royal Except that he couldn't see it through the crowd of players. So my question to you is how did he know he needed to dive (and which way) if he couldn't see the shot? Unfortunately he left his x-ray glasses in the dressing room.

My sons a keeper so I can sympathize with McCarthy, and whilst it wasn't his fault - it could be argued that he could have shouted his defenders out the way and/or get in a position where he could see the ball.. (but yeah the shot came in very quickly and all that)

What if it wasn't Reading players blocking his view? The penalty area was crowded at the time so I don't think moving his position would have helped and certainly nothing he could have done in that fraction of a second it took the ball to reach the goal.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 15 Apr 2014 13:50

Wycombe Royal
Pepe the Horseman Varney was blocking his view.

That's quite some achievement seeing as he plays for Blackburn at the moment.

He's a big guy.

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 15 Apr 2014 13:55

I like the idea of a goalkeeper shouting his defence out of the way and then the opposition running unchallenged into the box.

BraisingsteakRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by BraisingsteakRoyal » 15 Apr 2014 14:06

Wycombe Royal What if it wasn't Reading players blocking his view? The penalty area was crowded at the time so I don't think moving his position would have helped and certainly nothing he could have done in that fraction of a second it took the ball to reach the goal.

I'm just saying that it looked a bit mince on the telly with him not moving at all, and then having the ball going past him fairly closely. You can't say that him moving or jostling to keep an eye on the ball wouldn't have helped. The shot was outside the box.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 15 Apr 2014 14:26

TBM
Irvinchangeyaname

He didn't do anything wrong - I think people think cos he didn't dive he was at fault. Fact is Hector (or was it Obita) should have stopped the shot coming in instead of turning his back.

It was Obita who turned his back.
I agree with Wycombe about our wing play and ever since Adkins arrived our wingers have been much more prone to cut inside rather than go outside and put in a cross that is naturally away from the keeper and more dangerous.

On the point about Obita not blocking the shot for their goal he is far from being alone.
I noticed when Carvalho came to Chelsea he brought with him the technique of blocking shots which is more common in Europe where defenders throw their body in line to make a block.Since then Terry and Cahill do the same as do Skrtel and Vidic but so few of our (Reading's) do it nor do many others in English football.

Incidentally the other thing that annoys me about Reading (and it goes back as far as Branfoot's days) is that our full-backs over the years do so little to prevent a cross.
It is basic defending but we nearly always stand off and it is still the same with Gunter, Obita and Cummings but less so with Kelly.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 15 Apr 2014 14:26

:|

The Rouge
Hob Nob Regular

by The Rouge » 15 Apr 2014 14:32

BraisingsteakRoyal
Wycombe Royal What if it wasn't Reading players blocking his view? The penalty area was crowded at the time so I don't think moving his position would have helped and certainly nothing he could have done in that fraction of a second it took the ball to reach the goal.

I'm just saying that it looked a bit mince on the telly with him not moving at all, and then having the ball going past him fairly closely. You can't say that him moving or jostling to keep an eye on the ball wouldn't have helped. The shot was outside the box.

This suggests to me you have not played football much.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 15 Apr 2014 14:37

Handsome Man
Irvinchangeyaname

Not elegant enough in his diving.

Libertine
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Connecticut...aka "The Fifth Ring of Hell" & Prediction League Champion 2015/2016

by Libertine » 15 Apr 2014 14:41

A couple of random thoughts having been able to watch the game on tv...

I do not fault McCarthy for their goal. It was at the end of a scrambly play in/near our area where a bunch of players were out of position and chasing the ball, while screening him, he never saw it. Why two of our players did nothing to try to block that shot, they've must have known they had our keeper screened, by at least trying to stick out a leg, etc, is beyond me.

Secondly we did look good for long stretches. But Williams' lack of fitness due to playing despite not being fully fit and Leigertwood's lack of fitness from not playing much/horrible decision making leaving us with only 10 men at the end ensured a draw was probably the best we could have hoped for.

Why their player was not given at least a yellow for going right through the back of Obita with a knee, nor us being awarded a penalty for a clear handball in the box in the first half, or being given a corner at the dying moments of the first when we deserved one, didn't help. Not saying it was the reffing that cost us, but it didn't help and was very poor.

Our passing is poor. Instead of leading a player making a run into space the passers, usually not under any pressure, often played the ball behind the player making the run causing him to stop to collect the pass and thus killing any forward momentum we had for that play. Other than that we gave up the ball far too cheaply often with misplaced passes often times ending up going out of play.

Bottom line is we still looked very decent at times and this was much better than many of our recent (especially home) efforts...

211 posts