The generic transfer thread

10604 posts
No Fixed Abode

Re: The Summer 2011 transfer thread

by No Fixed Abode » 26 Jul 2011 16:47

roadrunner It isn't the best academy but it's certainly more fruitful to it's first team than any other I can think of at the moment. How many other clubs have as many academy graduates in their first team line-up and squad as we do currently?

The thing is with the Reading academy, yes, this last season a few academy players have stepped up to the first team, but are they actually any good?

For instance - Karacan - runs about like a headless chicken with no skill whatsoever. He's weak in the tackle, but I suppose he has a good 'engine'.

Church - Another headless chicken, with no skill. Will be lucky to get 8 goals next season.

The only 'decent' player I can think of is Sigurdson. But hasn't he struggled a bit at Hoffenheim?

It's all well and good saying you've got one of the best academies out there - but the quality of player isn't great. It;s merely the fact they've broken into the first team at a club that doesn't like spending money.

Row Z Royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: LOLandmarks come and go. There'll only ever be one "Clickety Clique"

by Row Z Royal » 26 Jul 2011 17:02

No Fixed Abode
The only 'decent' player I can think of is Sigurdson. But hasn't he struggled a bit at Hoffenheim?

More sub appearances from the bench than from the start but (2nd?) top scorer last season. I'd say that he's doing pretty well, though not setting the world alight.

On the other hand, when I was in Bremen, the locals were talking about him as having had a significant impact on the Bundesliga.

Sorry to all for offering a sensible reply to King Harold.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 26 Jul 2011 19:04

roadrunner It isn't the best academy but it's certainly more fruitful to it's first team than any other I can think of at the moment. How many other clubs have as many academy graduates in their first team line-up and squad as we do currently?

I'll give you one, 'Boro. They used loads more than us last season despite being what lots of people call a big spending side.

I'd guess that Palace used a decent number too.

chilipepper91
Hob Nob Regular

by chilipepper91 » 27 Jul 2011 09:21

Obvs still gossip but...

Swansea have agreed a £1.75m fee for Middlesbrough striker Leroy Lita, 26. Brendan Rodgers has been pursuing Lita and his strike partner Marvin Emnes all summer.
Full story: Daily Mail

:shock:

roadrunner
Hob Nob Regular

by roadrunner » 27 Jul 2011 09:59

chilipepper91 Obvs still gossip but...

Swansea have agreed a £1.75m fee for Middlesbrough striker Leroy Lita, 26. Brendan Rodgers has been pursuing Lita and his strike partner Marvin Emnes all summer.
Full story: Daily Mail

:shock:

Lita proved he can score goals at the top level, it's just his attitude that holds him back. That's not a bad signing considering their careful approach in the transfer market.

They're coming down with a bump tho!

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 27 Jul 2011 10:24

Lita for £1.75m eh? Not sure whether to :shock: or :lol:

It's not just his attitude that holds him back, he just isn't very good. I thought Brendan Rodgers had more sense than that tbh.

Thomas L'Heureux
Hob Nob Regular

by Thomas L'Heureux » 27 Jul 2011 12:46

Royal Rother Lita for £1.75m eh? Not sure whether to :shock: or :lol:

It's not just his attitude that holds him back, he just isn't very good. I thought Brendan Rodgers had more sense than that tbh.

I swear Lita was still on our books when Rodgers was appointed but was let go shortly after (was always on the cards to be fair). If Rodgers rated him it seems strange that he didn't try to keep hold of him though.

This transfer seems a little desperate to me if I'm honest. Swansea are arguably looking weaker than they did went they went up.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 27 Jul 2011 12:55

Thomas L'Heureux

I swear Lita was still on our books when Rodgers was appointed but was let go shortly after (was always on the cards to be fair). If Rodgers rated him it seems strange that he didn't try to keep hold of him though.

This transfer seems a little desperate to me if I'm honest. Swansea are arguably looking weaker than they did went they went up.

Yeah he was but maybe by then it was decided a contract wouldn't be offered, his original expired and he was already in talks with other clubs

roadrunner
Hob Nob Regular

by roadrunner » 27 Jul 2011 12:58

TBM
Thomas L'Heureux

Yeah he was but maybe by then it was decided a contract wouldn't be offered, his original expired and he was already in talks with other clubs

He was on big wages at that time too. Madejski couldn't get rid quick enough.

Row Z Royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: LOLandmarks come and go. There'll only ever be one "Clickety Clique"

by Row Z Royal » 27 Jul 2011 13:03

TBM
Thomas L'Heureux

This.

As it goes, with the way Rodgers wanted us to play, I'd have killed to have Lita up there (before Long got good) so this isn't a ridiculous signing. He'll get 10 goals which, for a lower side is plent for less than £2m.

swansea jack

by swansea jack » 27 Jul 2011 14:09

Thomas L'Heureux

Er, don't think so.

Players in >>>>>>>>>>>> players out

Not too sure about Lita though...

roadrunner
Hob Nob Regular

by roadrunner » 27 Jul 2011 14:35

swansea jack
Thomas L'Heureux

Er, don't think so.

Quality in vs quality out? It's pretty gloomy m8.

Thomas L'Heureux
Hob Nob Regular

by Thomas L'Heureux » 27 Jul 2011 15:09

swansea jack Er, don't think so.

As much as I like Danny Graham I'm not sure he suits you as much as Borini did. Graham is very much a finisher where as Borini's movement is very dynamic and he gets involved more around the box than your new signing which gave your midfield more freedom.

The young bloke from 'Spurs is decent according to a Bristol City supporting mate, but he won't set the Premiership alight. I liked the look of him when we stuffed them at our place but I'm not sure he's ready for the top level yet.

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

by soggy biscuit » 27 Jul 2011 19:55

Sergio Aguero joins City for £38M

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 27 Jul 2011 21:57

Thomas L'Heureux

As much as I like Danny Graham I'm not sure he suits you as much as Borini did. Graham is very much a finisher where as Borini's movement is very dynamic and he gets involved more around the box than your new signing which gave your midfield more freedom.

The young bloke from 'Spurs is decent according to a Bristol City supporting mate, but he won't set the Premiership alight. I liked the look of him when we stuffed them at our place but I'm not sure he's ready for the top level yet.

Plus Swansea have lost Darren Pratley too

Seal
Hob Nob Regular

by Seal » 28 Jul 2011 15:53

Heard a rumour that Sturridge is talking to Spurs

pea
Hob Nob Regular

by pea » 28 Jul 2011 18:39

Thomas L'Heureux

Nope, we released all the players at the end of their contracts before we appointed a new manager. I remember some people getting very uptight about it, and not leaving the manager to make those decisions, but the clubs line was that they were "being fair to the players so that they could begin to find themselves new clubs in time for pre-season"

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

by soggy biscuit » 28 Jul 2011 21:52

Where did PSG suddenly get all their money from?

Talk of them beating Chelsea to sign Javier Pastore for €45M

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 28 Jul 2011 22:25

If a 22 year old midfielder with 9 international caps is moving for £40m, then PSG might be doing Chelsea a favour.

swansea jack

by swansea jack » 29 Jul 2011 13:20

Big Foot
Thomas L'Heureux

Plus Swansea have lost Darren Pratley too

Pratley was largely a sub & De Vries wanted out. Borini is a loss but was a loanee.

Graham, Lita (?), Soriano (sp?), Caulker (loan) with a few more likely to come in. A fit Bodde is a huge +1 if his knee lasts... Not too concerned tbh.

10604 posts