Most gutting moment as a Reading fan.

221 posts
oldebiscuit

Re: Most gutting moment as a Reading fan.

by oldebiscuit » 08 Sep 2009 21:06

Relegation in 1971 after losing at Villa Park, losing to non league Hendon in the FA Cup in 1975, relegation in 1983 after beating Wrexham at home but finding out Exeter City had scored a late one elsewhere to sent us down, Bolton at wembley in 1995 speaks for itself, but spending the afternoon in the 'Black Mariah' following some boisterous behaviour on the 'Town end Terrace' at the home game with Huddersfield in 1978 was pretty dissapointing too!

Super Kevin Bremner!
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Super Kevin Bremner! » 08 Sep 2009 22:08

Last game at Elm Park

URZZZZZZZZ
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Long knocks it back in.............IT'S READING WHO TAKE A MASSIVE STEP TOWARDS WEMBLEY!!

by URZZZZZZZZ » 09 Sep 2009 12:22

My very worst was the Wolves play-off in 2003. I was a ballboy that season and we were promised that if we got promoted we could do it again the season after which would have been amazing for me at that age. I nearly cried on the car journey home, especially after outplaying them in both games :(

The Derby relegation match was pretty tough, but in a different way to most. I was sat in a pub in Bournemouth and had made a decision beforehand to get absolutely trolleyed and hope for the best. So there I was in a pub full of plastic Man Utd fans watching themselves stumble across the line in there game with Wigan. Obviously ecstatic that we'd gone 4-0 up and was giving a bit of stick to the Utd fans for being plastics. When the Fulham goal went in I was distraught and I came in for a fair bit of stick :(

Walsall is up there for obvious reasons.

East Grinstead Royal

by East Grinstead Royal » 09 Sep 2009 13:11

For me, Bolton at Wembley was worse that Walsall at Cardiff. As others have said, it felt like that was our one chance to get to the top flight. The Walsall defeat at Cardiff was bad, but we were clearly going to be amongst the front-runners the following year, and getting up into the 2nd tier was always going to happen.

I take it all far less seriously nowadays, but oddly enough, the most gutting moments for me were more recent - relegation from the prem and, a year later, Coppell's departure. Although it was no surprise, I just felt so sad for him that it came the way it did.

SeniorRoyal

by SeniorRoyal » 10 Sep 2009 19:59

Bolton at Wembley.The second half was like slow torture,as we sat back deeper and deeper.I have never seen a team so knackered in extra time.Saddest yourney home from a match in my lifetime,and one i do not want to repeat.

Berry

by Berry » 10 Sep 2009 20:48

Last game at Elm Park, still galls me, why Robert Fleck recieved the Norwich player of the year trophy on what should of been a day for us. So depressing knowing that we were down as well and had bought a load of horse shit in the "transfer 7" deal, going down and moving to a new stadium is not good.
Bolton Play Off game was on par, I will always hate Fabian De Fretias and Todd and Pieman Mcginley, Macaqueer in fact all Bolton players

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 11 Sep 2009 10:00

Tilehurst End
Sun Tzu
Wimb
Was that Craig Hignetts cheating goal when we stopped thinking we had a freekick?

No. It was the incompetant refeering by George Cain. Boro thought quickly and took advantage but did nothing wrong.

I was seeing red mist at the time but my memory of it was that it should have been our free kick and their player who was on the line getting treatment ran on and took the kick quickly.

Correct. But it was incompetent refereeing by Cain who, having given a free kick to Reading, allowed Boro to take it!!! Unbelieveable!!! It could only happen to Reading. But then again, it happened because we we are little Reading. Certainly the ref that night couldn't have given a toss. Should have been shot for abdicating his responsibilities.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 11 Sep 2009 12:40

Man Friday
Tilehurst End
Sun Tzu No. It was the incompetant refeering by George Cain. Boro thought quickly and took advantage but did nothing wrong.

I was seeing red mist at the time but my memory of it was that it should have been our free kick and their player who was on the line getting treatment ran on and took the kick quickly.

Correct. But it was incompetent refereeing by Cain who, having given a free kick to Reading, allowed Boro to take it!!! Unbelieveable!!! It could only happen to Reading. But then again, it happened because we we are little Reading. Certainly the ref that night couldn't have given a toss. Should have been shot for abdicating his responsibilities.

You're forgetting that it was Hignett who was apparently fouled and received treatment - and so he should have been standing by the touchline instead of received the pass from the free-kick.

That incident was a turning point in our season, just like Robbie Keane's unpunished penalty encroachment at White Hart Lane almost exaclt 10 years later was too. Befor both incidents we were sitting reasonably comfortably in the league - after each incident virtually nothing went right again and we were relegated.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 20 Sep 2009 18:25

Peterborough 3 Reading 2

Ok perhaps not the worst but it feels pretty bad right now

seahawk10
Hob Nob Regular
Location: One kick. A royal kick! There's more in Reading yet!

by seahawk10 » 05 Mar 2010 19:19

Geekins Portsmouth 7-4 Reading

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

I actually enjoyed that game. Historic and entertaining. If only we had made that penalty we could have gotten a result. That day wasn't gutting for me in the least. (I realize you are in Portsmouth, surrounded by Portsmouth fans).

Baines
Hob Nob Regular

by Baines » 05 Mar 2010 19:30

seahawk10
Geekins Portsmouth 7-4 Reading

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

I actually enjoyed that game. Historic and entertaining. If only we had made that penalty we could have gotten a result. That day wasn't gutting for me in the least. (I realize you are in Portsmouth, surrounded by Portsmouth fans).

It was a joke of a game and we were an embarrassment, unlike the Spurs game that year when we also lost despite scoring 4.

facaldaqui
Hob Nob Regular

by facaldaqui » 05 Mar 2010 19:35

Relegation in 1971. It was my first relegation; I was about 16 and had always supported Reading without it occurring to me that we could ever conceivably drop to the fourth division. For me Reading was a third division club to its core. I can't remember all the details, but unless I'm mistaken we went down on goal average, having never been in the relegation places all season. So it came like a thunderbolt. I was bewildered and disbelieving (I don't think we used the word "gutted" in those days other than for fish).

That disappointment numbed me for all the later ones, which I have taken fatalistically.

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 05 Mar 2010 19:43

Walsall play-off in Cardiff.

Also losing out to Villa with that last minute own goal by Howard preventing us from making our first visit to the new Wembley.

Gutted!

Fluff

by Fluff » 05 Mar 2010 20:02

For me, it was the coke QF against Boro.
I don't think i've ever been more angry after a game

Friday's Child

by Friday's Child » 05 Mar 2010 20:20

Walsall for me.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 05 Mar 2010 20:28

Walsall 6 Reading 0 for me...........still top of the league....but why?

Jerry St Clair
Hob Nob Regular

by Jerry St Clair » 05 Mar 2010 20:33

Dirk Gently You're forgetting that it was Hignett who was apparently fouled and received treatment - and so he should have been standing by the touchline instead of received the pass from the free-kick.

That incident was a turning point in our season, just like Robbie Keane's unpunished penalty encroachment at White Hart Lane almost exaclt 10 years later was too. Befor both incidents we were sitting reasonably comfortably in the league - after each incident virtually nothing went right again and we were relegated.

Bullivant was interviewed after the game and said that Cain appeared shell-shocked when he walked off. Bullivant approached him outside the dressing rooms and said his eyes were glazed and he seemed oblivious to everything going on around him. Totally out of his depth.

Er, a bit like Bullivant.

Anyway, we weren't the only ones:

http://www.thefootballnetwork.net/main/s261/st46282.htm

Thankgodisfriday

by Thankgodisfriday » 05 Mar 2010 21:26

Without a shadow of a doubt that bloody Bolton Play off at Wembley was totally gutting...having lost McGhee it was such a terrific effort to get to that point...I went with 2 Chelsea supporters,after the 2 goals one of them turned to me after the penalty award and said "Thats it your up"!!
I will always hate Bolton for what we went through that day and just the thought of Jason McAteer and his celebrating mates makes me feel ill

Jack Celliers
Hob Nob Regular

by Jack Celliers » 05 Mar 2010 22:22

When the three shit subs went on against Burnley to gift them the game.
I just knew we had thirty minutes left of Coppel's career and 30 more minutes of that golden premiership era.

Horsham Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Horsham Royal » 06 Mar 2010 00:50

87th minute city ground bart-williams.
Inevitable, but that was my first relegation.

221 posts