189 posts
BenReadingFC
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Back from the game (LIVERPOOL)

by BenReadingFC » 14 Jan 2010 21:02

Ark Royal
Pseud O'Nym
BenReadingFC Sigs Penalty

That was really special. The ice man for sure.

Is that not the coolest f ucking penalty you have ever seen?

Cocky like Cristiano Ronaldo but I like it
Bump
You'll Never Walk Alone
Last edited by BenReadingFC on 14 Jan 2010 21:56, edited 1 time in total.

Upper West Ginger

by Upper West Ginger » 14 Jan 2010 21:15

Well I've finally made it home, after a night in Manchester and a day working in London, to find that my computer failed to record the match. :( Still, wandering into the office this morning with the Reading scarf and hat on display drew a round of applause.

Under normal circumstances that would have been a complete mis-match, but anything can happen in football. Beating Liverpool 3-1 at the Madejski was a memorable occasion, but this certainly exceeds that, especially as we can expect more from our youngsters in future (assuming we are able to keep hold of them all).

susieroyal

by susieroyal » 14 Jan 2010 21:44

I think on days like this, we should have a back to work thread where we all laugh at our Liverpool supporting work colleagues.

Yesterday was phenomenal.
6:15am - Niece born
Top day at work
4:00pm - Met my niece - sang Royals anthem to her :oops:
Watched match
Finally got to sleep at 1am, in work for half 7 - only other person in office for first 20 minutes of day - LOLoverpool fan!!
Still not stopped smiling.
Niece was awake for some of the match, so a Royal as far as I am concerned. Especially as Dad is a Kopite!!

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 14 Jan 2010 21:48

Last night was absolutely brilliant from every player in blue and white. Now they have to continue it and perform to the standards they have now set. Special mention to Bryn, Jem, Gylfi, Church and Long. In all honesty though, every player deserves praise, it was a team performance and they can all be very proud of this achievement. What a run by Jobi and a real shame he didn't dink the ball over the keeper to score what would of been one of the truly great cup goals. Now lets beat Burnley in the next round and get payback for their undeserved victories over us last year.

Well done also to the fans who made it up there despite the diificult conditions. Despite the fishing from a certain fan of Real Madrid's debt ridden feeder club (who incidentally haven't beaten Liverpool in their last few visits to Anfield), you deserve great praise for spurring our team on to the best individual win in the clubs history.

glass half full
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you see someone without a smile..... give him one of yours!

by glass half full » 14 Jan 2010 21:59

Nick Shorey my Lord! First off and as mentioned already let's not forget just how bad LiverLOLLY were last night. Without the G&T they have an incredibly average (but expensive) squad and if they'd played like that against a better team they would have been raped.

That said, we played very well at times; some of the pass and move play was reminiscent of the good old Coppell days. Sure there were some loose passes but that's been the story of our season. Couple of additional observations, above the obvious (McAnuff's miss, Boris's incredible performance):

1. Cisse actually looked ok. He did the dirty work well, the first time I've seen him do that in a long time.
2. Mills was very solid. Sure he's not got the pace, but his positioning was excellent. He could come good after all.
3. Their goal, unfortunate that it was, came from some shocking defending. A poor clearance and a pretty half hearted attempt to close the man down. We have to cut this play out.
4. Kebe. oxf*rd me he's still as frustrating as ever; great runs, terrible / non-existent passing. That fall at the end when he was through was a massive head in hands moment.
5. Gilfi. We've got something special here; the new Sidwell. If good old Brendan was going to build a team around someone (a la Smith) then it should have been him.

PLEASE let this form rub off into the league. Oh, and as for Burnley I hope the team treat this as unfinished business from last season. BRING ON THE BIKEY!

I know that I am being a bit fussy here but Gilfi is Gilfi - not the new anyone. He is unique.

readingFTW

by readingFTW » 14 Jan 2010 23:34

Last night made me proud to be a Reading fan; what a spectacular performace! I do believe this is the crucial turning point in the season where we begin to play with style (as displayed against Liverpool) consistently, and get the vital points we need to ensure a decent position in the league at the end of the season.

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 15 Jan 2010 03:48

I appear to be the only Reading fan anywhere who thought it was a really shit penalty. I hate it when they're taken like that. Still, onward and upward.

Compo's Hat
Hob Nob Regular

by Compo's Hat » 15 Jan 2010 04:46

What a night, glad i made the effort to get up there. Well done Dirk for driving too! Got back at half three after some horrible fog all the way back which left us going down the A34 instead of the A4074.

I really thought our chance had gone after McAnuff missed the greatest goal we never scored and was in complete shock when Dowd blew up having the same view as us in the away end. A credit to all the fans that travelled there, sang their hearts out and were pretty much stood up most of the game. Everyone that played last night deserves praise for the effort put in. Thought about twenty minutes in that we had a chance and thought we'd be lucky to get anything at half time, thinking Liverpool would keep the ball for large periods in the 2nd half with Reading unable to hit the team on the break which did happen until Liverpool could sense the finishing line was in sight. Last night though i certainly had my appetite for RFC again!

Thanks to the chap next to me who had a hip flask of Jack Daniels on him and floyd, what was the chant about McDermott to the tune of Ally's tarten army again?

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 15 Jan 2010 08:08

Arch I appear to be the only Reading fan anywhere who thought it was a really shit penalty. I hate it when they're taken like that.

It was the classiest penalty ever taken by a Reading player. Wait for the keeper to dive one way, slide the ball into the other. It wasn't as if he hit it softly and gambled on the keeper going the other way.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 15 Jan 2010 09:07

Avon Royal
Arch I appear to be the only Reading fan anywhere who thought it was a really shit penalty. I hate it when they're taken like that.

It was the classiest penalty ever taken by a Reading player. Wait for the keeper to dive one way, slide the ball into the other. It wasn't as if he hit it softly and gambled on the keeper going the other way.

It certainly takes some balls to take a penalty like that - especially in the last minute at Anfield. Just imagine if he'd taken it like that and missed!

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 15 Jan 2010 09:55

Still bouncing!

Anyone else notice what we did in the first 5 minutes? Gerrard and Torres both got whacked. I have been advocating a more steely approach and it certainly put them on the back foot.

working class hero

by working class hero » 15 Jan 2010 10:15

RFC are only in the 2nd season out of the Prem.
This is not really a giant killing - and the over reaction suggests to me that our fans have not yet realised what great strides have been made in the past 8 years. 'Pool are a poor side at the moment - especially after Torres and Gerrard were crocked. We deserved the win and over the 2 games were in no way inferior.

The surprise to me is how poorly we have played in the League - although that has mainly been down to world class [aka crap] tactics. BM has gone back to basics and we are playing simple football and reaping the rewards.

I reckon we have a great shout against Burnley and could be at the start of a long overdue decent cup run!

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 15 Jan 2010 10:27

This is not really a giant killing

It would have been an upset even if we were in the Prem. :|

URZZZZZZZZ
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Long knocks it back in.............IT'S READING WHO TAKE A MASSIVE STEP TOWARDS WEMBLEY!!

by URZZZZZZZZ » 15 Jan 2010 11:22

To be honest, anyone beating Liverpool at Anfield that are outside the top 4 is an upset. When Villa beat them there in the league it was an upset, Reading winning there even more so.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 15 Jan 2010 12:03

Terminal Boardom Still bouncing!

Anyone else notice what we did in the first 5 minutes? Gerrard and Torres both got whacked. I have been advocating a more steely approach and it certainly put them on the back foot.

Yep, proper reducer put in on Gerrard which made me lol. Super tackle by Bertrand on Kuyt too - took the ball hard then nailed him with the trailing leg. Sweet.

Thought the pen was awesome - psyched out the keeper there and rolled it in the corner. Lovely stuff.

Compo's Hat
Hob Nob Regular

by Compo's Hat » 15 Jan 2010 12:55

And anyone that says they lost their best players, we sold ours in the summer!

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 15 Jan 2010 15:21

BenReadingFC Sigs Penalty

Great video Ben.

URZZZZZZZZ
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Long knocks it back in.............IT'S READING WHO TAKE A MASSIVE STEP TOWARDS WEMBLEY!!

by URZZZZZZZZ » 15 Jan 2010 15:44

Is there anywhere to watch extended highlights of the game? Or in particular extra time. Some genius has put 20 mins of highlights on footytube yet has left extra time off!! :x

BenReadingFC
Hob Nob Regular

by BenReadingFC » 15 Jan 2010 18:11

URZZZZZZZZ Is there anywhere to watch extended highlights of the game? Or in particular extra time. Some genius has put 20 mins of highlights on footytube yet has left extra time off!! :x

You can download them here. I'm currently downloading the full match, If its any good I'll post the links up here for those that may want it.

1st Half Highlights 113.07MB

2nd Half Highlights 123.69MB

Extra Time Highlights 89.06MB

edit...2nd half link fixed
Last edited by BenReadingFC on 15 Jan 2010 18:45, edited 3 times in total.

URZZZZZZZZ
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by URZZZZZZZZ » 15 Jan 2010 18:15

BenReadingFC
URZZZZZZZZ Is there anywhere to watch extended highlights of the game? Or in particular extra time. Some genius has put 20 mins of highlights on footytube yet has left extra time off!! :x

You can download them here. I'm currently downloading the full match, If its any good I'll post the links up here for those that may want it.

1st Half Highlights 113.07MB

2nd Half Highlights 123.69MB

Extra Time Highlights 89.06MB

You sir, are an absolute LEGEND!

189 posts