Back From The Game - Bolton

359 posts
MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Back From The Game - Bolton

by MmmMonsterMunch » 19 Jan 2014 13:11

Maguire
Pepe the Horseman Think I might've been a bit harsh on Blackman. Looks like there wasn't a deflection.

There was a massive deflection, hit the defender and looped up over the keeper.

I've rewatched the goal just now about 5 times & I can't see any deflection at all :shock:

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 19 Jan 2014 13:16

No deflection visible in the available camera angles

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 19 Jan 2014 13:16

Maguire
Pepe the Horseman Think I might've been a bit harsh on Blackman. Looks like there wasn't a deflection.

Doesn't look that way if you watch it in slow motion. Faint touch on defender's foot/lower leg but shot was rising already. Very little momentum was taken off the ball and, as a consequence, it didn't really loop over the keeper. Good strike from Blackman, which I reckon would have hit the back of the net regardless.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 19 Jan 2014 13:29

RoyalBlue
Maguire

Doesn't look that way if you watch it in slow motion. Faint touch on defender's foot/lower leg but shot was rising already. Very little momentum was taken off the ball and, as a consequence, it didn't really loop over the keeper. Good strike from Blackman, which I reckon would have hit the back of the net regardless.

I don't care about the TV, I was sat at the actual game directly in line with it :roll:

Massive deflection, that's how it got past the keeper.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 19 Jan 2014 13:35

yep I sit behind the goal and I saw a massive deflection. Strangely on the TV it doesn't look like it.

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 19 Jan 2014 13:37

I thought it deflected from where I sit as well, but you just can't see it on the replays.

Need a better angle.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 19 Jan 2014 14:31

P!ssed Off
MmmMonsterMunch Just got back after some celebratory bevvies.

All you Adkins haters...........suck my hairy balls

Although Bolton were fcuking awful

All those that doubted that Adkins could get Reading playing entertaining possession based, passing football look silly now don't they?
Oh wait...

Possession: 48%
Pass Success: 65%
No. of short passes: Less than the team we beat 7-1.

The last 2 games have been great victories for Reading, and great victories for Adkins.
But victories for all those that championed Reading's transition to a possession based, slow tempo, tippy-tappy team? I don't think so.

Yeah, absolute LOL at all those that said Reading's tactics for the first 24 games of the season were boring and ineffective.
Fair play to Adkins for realising that his preferred style of play did not suit the players at his disposal. But I'm not sure how you can gloat at the people who have been saying exactly this all season.

Well done to Adkins for motivating the players after a horrific run of form and for making some decent team selections e.g. Obita at LB.
But today merely shows what an absolute waste the first half of the season was.
How many other horrendous teams came to the Madejski, but left unpunished?

+1, well said m8.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 19 Jan 2014 14:34

Avon Royal
P!ssed Off All those that doubted that Adkins could get Reading playing entertaining possession based, passing football look silly now don't they?
Oh wait...

The last 2 games have been great victories for Reading, and great victories for Adkins.
But victories for all those that championed Reading's transition to a possession based, slow tempo, tippy-tappy team? I don't think so.

Yeah, absolute LOL at all those that said Reading's tactics for the first 24 games of the season were boring and ineffective.
Fair play to Adkins for realising that his preferred style of play did not suit the players at his disposal. But I'm not sure how you can gloat at the people who have been saying exactly this all season.

Well done to Adkins for motivating the players after a horrific run of form and for making some decent team selections e.g. Obita at LB.

My god that's some pretty lame shit.

Never was a post on Hob Nob more readily endorsed when Avon ROFLoyaLOL describes it as 'pretty lame shit'.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 19 Jan 2014 14:35

Avon Royal He's ex-Aldershot and openly dislikes Reading.

:|

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 19 Jan 2014 14:39

John Madejski's Wallet
McClearyChops Does anyone have a link for the NA interview after the game with BBC Berkshire or is it not up yet ?

Does anyone actually go out of their way to listen to him?

Once upon a time we used to all shut up in the car on the way back, so we could listen to the manager interview. Now we've noticed we just carry on talking over Nigel. It's just inane meaningless drivel.

His interview after the game was woeful. We work hard on the training ground, togetherness, give it a good go in the second half of the season.....he repeated each of these soundbites at least three times each.

Then again, he is employed as a football manager, not booked as a guest on Graham Norton. Not his job to be entertaining and enlightening in the media.

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 19 Jan 2014 15:32

floyd__streete
Avon Royal
P!ssed Off All those that doubted that Adkins could get Reading playing entertaining possession based, passing football look silly now don't they?
Oh wait...

My god that's some pretty lame shit.

Never was a post on Hob Nob more readily endorsed when Avon ROFLoyaLOL describes it as 'pretty lame shit'.

Ah bless. :lol:

You do try hard don't you?

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 19 Jan 2014 15:40

Avon Royal He's ex-Aldershot and openly dislikes Reading.

Claridge is just a shit pundit. Nothing to do with disliking us. In fact he had so many clubs I doubt he remembers playing for half of them especially a nothing club like Aldersh[i]t.

paddy20
Hob Nob Regular

by paddy20 » 19 Jan 2014 15:47

floyd__streete
John Madejski's Wallet
McClearyChops Does anyone have a link for the NA interview after the game with BBC Berkshire or is it not up yet ?

Does anyone actually go out of their way to listen to him?

Once upon a time we used to all shut up in the car on the way back, so we could listen to the manager interview. Now we've noticed we just carry on talking over Nigel. It's just inane meaningless drivel.

His interview after the game was woeful. We work hard on the training ground, togetherness, give it a good go in the second half of the season.....he repeated each of these soundbites at least three times each.

Then again, he is employed as a football manager, not booked as a guest on Graham Norton. Not his job to be entertaining and enlightening in the media.

I think it was a bit embarrassing. The first time for a long time we have played the tactics that suit our players Adkins says its all down to togetherness ( and one mention of positivity at the end). No mention on completely different style of play! It does make you wonder where we would have been if we had played these tactics from the start. Here' hoping its not too late or he doesn't revert back to the old tactics when Guthrie's fit. Is he embarrassed to mention the tactical change? More of same Nige and we would forgive you!

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 19 Jan 2014 15:57

:|

When at last the team plays in the way that he's always wanted them to It's hardly a tactical change from Adkins.

USA_Loyal_Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by USA_Loyal_Royal » 19 Jan 2014 16:00

the point of changing our tactics from direct style to adkins style was premier league stability though. this is somewhat of a step backward, last time we tried these tactics in the premier league it was an disaster. we need to trust adkins and continue letting him use his style and bring in players that can play that style or else we will never progress as a club.

as far as this season goes i knew it was a rebuilding season and i didnt expect much, to me making the playoffs would be a successful season. i still feel we need another season in the championship to develop and learn this style and bring in more players before we make a premier league push.

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 19 Jan 2014 16:03

Platypuss :|

When at last the team plays in the way that he's always wanted them to It's hardly a tactical change from Adkins.

So the lobs into the channels, or long goal kicks from the goalie to the front men, or the wingers actually playing up the wings in partnership with the full backs (rather than cutting inside) ...... that's what Adkins has been trying to get us to do is it? ...... funny, seems he's been coaching that exact thing out of them.

He was even having a go at some of the players (Obita esp) for being too direct when playing into the channels, instead of slowing it down and passing it short

Time and a place for all styles and yesterday showed that, long may it continue

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 19 Jan 2014 16:20

Lol @ Reading fans.

We have a historic incredible win and all we can do is use it in some way to score points for our preconceived notions/ beliefs about the manager/players/system, in the bizarre belief that all of a sudden we've now cracked it and we'll be twonking teams on a regular basis.

NA has been with us for almost a year and we've had ups and downs along the way. Yesterday was an up and that's all. An amazing up, where a couple more things have worked out for us and we'll learn from but next game it'll be back to business as usual with the same Adkins, same mindset, same players and same system that he's been working for the last year or so. Yes confidence will be high and hopefully we'll start doing a bit better but that's about it.

Obita in, Guthrie out, more passion, more confidence but otherwise it's same old Adkins doing his best as ever do just leave him to it and don't expect another thrashing as though we've found some sort of holy grail FFS.

kwik-silva
Hob Nob Regular

by kwik-silva » 19 Jan 2014 16:21

all the goals

Dear forum master, implement YouTube tags please

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 19 Jan 2014 17:02

Platypuss :|

That's not the style of play he or yourself and others have been calling for for the last 9 months or so. If anything it was far more like the "Reading way" that you have been so vocal in wanting us to avoid.

I and others sat in a room with him back in August where he said that he wanted us to be patient, dominate possession and play through the centre. Yesterday we did not play like that at all. Yesterday we tried to get the ball foward quickly as possible, play with width and go long or short depending on what the situation required.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 19 Jan 2014 17:08

I love the way Reading fans just float whichever way the wind is blowing.

Earlier this season everyone was banging on about how amazing Danny Guthrie is and how the intelligent Adkins had got the best out of a player the tactical caveman McDermott didn't know how to. Now it seems Guthrie's the one to blame for slowing down our tempo and his absence is one reason we've notched a couple of wins recently, being replaced by Hope Akpan who was widely castig8ed on this board until two weeks ago.

Same with the possession obsession. 99% of you were going on about possession football and how important it is to dominate possession unlike McDermott's teams. Only now we've won 7-1 with only 48% of it, apparently it's not important anymore.

I look forward to you all revising your opinions about every one of our players at least twice between now and the end of the season.

359 posts