Rival Watch

17530 posts
paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Rival Watch

by paultheroyal » 01 May 2023 16:58

Yorkshire Derby, Sheffield put in a performer for their fans and give them the enjoyment of making rivals sweat to the last day. 3:1.

Huddersfield Town are then trapped because go for the win or hold out for the draw.

Reading seeking redemption, revenge for the play off final, put in the performance of their lives and see us home with a 0-2 win.

Written in the stars.

URZ!

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 01 May 2023 17:02

Huddersfield 0-2 Sheff Utd.

Huddersfield 0-0 Reading.

Loafer
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Loafer » 01 May 2023 17:04

paultheroyal Yorkshire Derby, Sheffield put in a performer for their fans and give them the enjoyment of making rivals sweat to the last day. 3:1.

Huddersfield Town are then trapped because go for the win or hold out for the draw.

Reading seeking redemption, revenge for the play off final, put in the performance of their lives and see us home with a 0-2 win.

Written in the stars.

URZ!

What drugs are you on?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 01 May 2023 17:23

YorkshireRoyal99 Yep can't blame anyone else, any team deserves to go down when they haven't won for 12 games and ours has come at completely at the wrong time of the season.

Just got to hope that Sheffield United beat Huddersfield and then there is a chance.

Just the 2 wins in 22 league games. Given we're unlikely to beat Huddersfield that'll be two wins in HALF a season. And 6 in 35, compared to 7 in the first 11. We talk about falling apart since the rumours of the points deduction became mooted, but we've been dogshit since October.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 01 May 2023 17:24

Hudders will get at least a draw I’m sure. Prob a win

Do think on further reflection our performance against Wigan was really poor. Big crowd, opposition basically down, needing a win and we barely raised a whimper for the majority

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 01 May 2023 17:36

Hound Hudders will get at least a draw I’m sure. Prob a win

Do think on further reflection our performance against Wigan was really poor. Big crowd, opposition basically down, needing a win and we barely raised a whimper for the majority

Having watched the highlights back, we did have a fair few chances. We had lots of possession around their box. We just couldn't make it count.

We're so used to having so little of the ball (average 42% ffs), we didn't know how to attack while controlling the game and the opposition defence was back set. All we've done all season is counter attack, hoof at Carroll and hope to get something from a set piece. And it really showed. I don't think it's a coincidence that it was Joao's worst performance since Hunt came in. He'd been dropping deeper and holding up and linking pretty well recently. But against Wigan he was trying to spearhead the attack and just meant he never saw decent balls played to him. The number of times him or Long etc were in a bit of space centrally looking to get a through ball in on goal or to feet and turn and they just got ignored.

Lot's of players snatching at things. Several absolutely ludicrous attempts at shots from 20+ yards. Crosses to the wrong place in open play because no one knew where the other was going to be. Over hit through balls or good through balls to players who don't have the pace to catch them like Long or Hendrick. So desperate to win Casadei and Hendrick spent half their time playing as forwards giving us absolutely nothing to play through midfield and leaving us vulnerable to counter.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 01 May 2023 17:38

GIven Wigan were down due to goal diff we had the easiest game this weekend.

There is hope still on Thurs but even if Sheffield win we won't win at Hudds.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 01 May 2023 17:43

Snowflake Royal

Having watched the highlights back, we did have a fair few chances. We had lots of possession around their box. We just couldn't make it count.

We're so used to having so little of the ball (average 42% ffs), we didn't know how to attack while controlling the game and the opposition defence was back set. All we've done all season is counter attack, hoof at Carroll and hope to get something from a set piece. And it really showed. I don't think it's a coincidence that it was Joao's worst performance since Hunt came in. He'd been dropping deeper and holding up and linking pretty well recently. But against Wigan he was trying to spearhead the attack and just meant he never saw decent balls played to him. The number of times him or Long etc were in a bit of space centrally looking to get a through ball in on goal or to feet and turn and they just got ignored.

Lot's of players snatching at things. Several absolutely ludicrous attempts at shots from 20+ yards. Crosses to the wrong place in open play because no one knew where the other was going to be. Over hit through balls or good through balls to players who don't have the pace to catch them like Long or Hendrick. So desperate to win Casadei and Hendrick spent half their time playing as forwards giving us absolutely nothing to play through midfield and leaving us vulnerable to counter.

It was just so unconvincing throughout. Never really worked up a proper head of steam. Thought Joao was quite good second half but awful first

I do think there was some mentality of draw the game and we’d get a second chance this weekend, which doesn’t look the case now

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 01 May 2023 17:44

Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99 Yep can't blame anyone else, any team deserves to go down when they haven't won for 12 games and ours has come at completely at the wrong time of the season.

Just got to hope that Sheffield United beat Huddersfield and then there is a chance.

Just the 2 wins in 22 league games. Given we're unlikely to beat Huddersfield that'll be two wins in HALF a season. And 6 in 35, compared to 7 in the first 11. We talk about falling apart since the rumours of the points deduction became mooted, but we've been dogshit since October.

I've said it before I'm sure but I think I out our early season start down to us being completely written off by everybody, what we've done since then is revert to type and be probably about as "good" as we are (maybe that's slightly harsh, maybe you'd expect a little better from us, but not significantly). The objective in the summer was to build a "competitive" team, not even a team that "would" survive, just one that would compete in games at this level.

No coincidence to me either that both Birmingham and Rotherham, the two other favourites to go down, had strong starts and were much higher up the table at the start of the season. Both have also subsequently reverted to type and ended up where they are.

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 01 May 2023 17:46

Hound
Snowflake Royal

It was just so unconvincing throughout. Never really worked up a proper head of steam. Thought Joao was quite good second half but awful first

I do think there was some mentality of draw the game and we’d get a second chance this weekend, which doesn’t look the case now

They clearly didn't have that mentality. They tried their hardest and were going for the win. They just don't have the quality to capitalise.

Your take on Saturdays game baffles me tbh.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 01 May 2023 17:48

Loafer
paultheroyal Yorkshire Derby, Sheffield put in a performer for their fans and give them the enjoyment of making rivals sweat to the last day. 3:1.

Written in the stars.

URZ!

What drugs are you on?

It can happen - there's usually some great escape every season

Prob is I've been supporting us since 1971 and it never seems to be us....

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 01 May 2023 17:50

^ this^

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 01 May 2023 17:53

Orion1871
Hound
Snowflake Royal Having watched the highlights back, we did have a fair few chances. We had lots of possession around their box. We just couldn't make it count.

They clearly didn't have that mentality. They tried their hardest and were going for the win. They just don't have the quality to capitalise.

We played 5 defenders. Like for like subs. Made 2 subs before the Wigan goal in 2 separate actions. Told Lumley to stay back for a corner in injury time

We could have put Sarr up top and gone 3 at the back. Brought on Loum to add more height and load the box with crosses. Put Azeez on at LWB. Meite at ht. we didn’t do anything like that

I don’t doubt the effort, but the mentality didn’t strike me as win at all costs

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 01 May 2023 18:13

Orion1871
Hound
Snowflake Royal Having watched the highlights back, we did have a fair few chances. We had lots of possession around their box. We just couldn't make it count.

Yeah absolutely no sign of aiming for a draw at all. Probably amongst the most possession, crosses, corners and shots we've had all season.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 01 May 2023 18:21

Snowflake Royal
Orion1871
Hound

Yeah absolutely no sign of aiming for a draw at all. Probably amongst the most possession, crosses, corners and shots we've had all season.

Not aiming for but accepting one. And reasons I think that above

And we really should have the most possession etc when we are at home against a team who are both rubbish and already relegated basically. We still only ended up with 57% and allowed them 11 shots at goal

I do think if that selection and performance took place under ince he’d have been crucified

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 01 May 2023 18:24

Hound
Snowflake Royal
Orion1871

And we really should have the most possession etc when we are at home against a team who are both rubbish and already relegated basically. We still only ended up with 57% and allowed them 11 shots at goal

I do think if that selection and performance took place under ince he’d have been crucified

Our average possession is 42%. 57% is oxf*rd enormous for us.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 01 May 2023 18:38

Snowflake Royal
Hound
Snowflake Royal Yeah absolutely no sign of aiming for a draw at all. Probably amongst the most possession, crosses, corners and shots we've had all season.

Our average possession is 42%. 57% is oxf*rd enormous for us.

YEs but we were playing the bottom side, read the post

Greatwesternline
Hob Nob Addict

by Greatwesternline » 01 May 2023 18:43

How many of our starting 11 / squad of players with game time on Saturday are still under contract for next season. I fear that may be our downfall.

Players only fight to survive relegation if they themselves don't want to play in the league below. Good proportion of our side literally have nothing riding on Saturday's game

JR

by JR » 01 May 2023 18:45

Hound
Orion1871
Hound

We played 5 defenders. Like for like subs. Made 2 subs before the Wigan goal in 2 separate actions. Told Lumley to stay back for a corner in injury time

We could have put Sarr up top and gone 3 at the back. Brought on Loum to add more height and load the box with crosses. Put Azeez on at LWB. Meite at ht. we didn’t do anything like that

I don’t doubt the effort, but the mentality didn’t strike me as win at all costs

We didn’t play 5 defenders - whilst TMac is a defender by trade he played CDM perfectly competently.

There is no evidence Sarr woudl make a good emergency forward.

Loum hasn’t shown any skill with his head.

Meite was far from full fitness so 30 mins was always going to be the max.

Wingers don’t always make decent wing backs.

Data shows that keepers doing forward result in conceding more often than scoring. It wasn’t win or bust, so right call.

I think it was more about lack of quality and confidence than tactical ineptness.

Greatwesternline
Hob Nob Addict

by Greatwesternline » 01 May 2023 18:48

Hound
Snowflake Royal
Orion1871

I agree had what happened yesterday happened under Ince he would have been lampooned.

Long as a winger when all he's really good for is playing on the shoulder of the defender of that. It might have made sense playing Lond up top, having someone with his experience for the big occasion, but as a winger he was never going to affect the game.

I'm not saying Ince would have down better. I just think Hunt didn't do well.

I do think tho, this probably wouldn't have happened if Carroll uses his head for a free header at the near post to make it 2-0, rather than use his hand and cons us to a likely draw, and to rule himself out of the 2/3 final games.

17530 posts