Predictions

245 posts
Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Predictions

by Wycombe Royal » 18 Jun 2008 14:15

Royalee You give no reason for preferring Coppell to Johnson and despite a host of top clubs having been interested in Ince you wouldn't take a chance on him.

Odd as this may sound but I do agree with you on those comments.

As for replacement managers for Coppell both Johnson and Ince would be at or near the top of my list.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 18 Jun 2008 14:21

Royalee
brendywendy
Royalee :lol: You don't rate Anelka...you're comparing over the hill Ferdinand and Keown with Campo, Diouf and Anelka and the players they brought in clearly did nothing for them - they only survived year on year and then went on to the UEFA Cup. :lol:

You give no reason for preferring Coppell to Johnson and despite a host of top clubs having been interested in Ince you wouldn't take a chance on him.

You are perhaps the biggest idiot I've ever come across on here. You and Spacey should get together - maybe you could exchange definitions of the word 'blinkered' and compare notes on grammar.

sometimes i agree with royalee, but he does like the sound of his own keyboard doesnt he
and why must everything come down to insults,

no, campo wouldnt have come for less than 25 k
nor would anelka
or diouf

Why, have you asked them then? Or is this more Coppell-esque negativity about us not being able to attract any players because we are little old Reading. Where are Bolton getting all this imaginary money from? :lol:

yes you tiresome bore

i have asked them, about as many times as you asked them when coming to the conclusion that they would have come for less than 25kPW to play at reading :roll:

Roger the Rabbit

by Roger the Rabbit » 18 Jun 2008 14:22

Royalee Where are Bolton getting all this imaginary money from? :lol:

I thought Allardyce's strategy was well known - targets players who have a bit of a reputation for being slightly 'difficult' meaning other clubs aren;t necessarily so keen to go for them. Look for Bosman / free deals. Offer big signing on fee and good wage packages.

It worked pretty well for him and Bolton.

Whether it's a financially sound approach I'm not sure - probably need to look at Bolton's accounts.

But our approach of getting lower division players with a bit of hunger on relatively low wages has worked well for us and is just as valid a way to do it for a club without stupid money.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 18 Jun 2008 14:24

Roger the Rabbit

I thought Allardyce's strategy was well known - targets players who have a bit of a reputation for being slightly 'difficult' meaning other clubs aren;t necessarily so keen to go for them. Look for Bosman / free deals. Offer big signing on fee and good wage packages.

Whether it's a financially sound approach I'm not sure - probably need to look at Bolton's accounts.

But our approach of getting lower division players with a bit of hunger on relatively low wages has worked well for us and is just as valid a way to do it for a club without stupid money.

dont try to reason with him roger

he'll just use emoticons, and call you an idiot

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 18 Jun 2008 14:27

Roger the Rabbit

Yeah, Greg Halford, Sam Sodje, Fae, Kebe and all our other cheap signings really did us proud in the Premiership - it's a clever policy which guarantees relegation.

I'd say Bolton's accounts are looking better than ours right now given that we have to sell players and they're getting over £30 million a year in TV money alone.

Roger the Rabbit

by Roger the Rabbit » 18 Jun 2008 14:29

brendywendy dont try to reason with him roger

he'll just use emoticons, and call you an idiot

I've been called worse !

I find Royalee really frustrating. Is it worth digging through the bluster, attitude and insults in order to reach the worthwhile stuff that lies belief ? He's the Nicholas Anelka of HNA - talented, but too high maintenance for anyone to persist with him for any length of time.

Roger the Rabbit

by Roger the Rabbit » 18 Jun 2008 14:33

Royalee Yeah, Greg Halford, Sam Sodje, Fae, Kebe and all our other cheap signings really did us proud in the Premiership - it's a clever policy which guarantees relegation. .

Or you could quote the names of almost the entire promotion winning side as positive examples.....

Royalee I'd say Bolton's accounts are looking better than ours right now given that we have to sell players and they're getting over £30 million a year in TV money alone.

You'd think Man Utd, Liverpool and Chelsea' accounts would be in better shape than ours - but they aren't. So I guess accounts aren;t your strong point....
I don;t know what shape Bolton's accounts are in.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 18 Jun 2008 14:46

Roger the Rabbit Or you could quote the names of almost the entire promotion winning side as positive examples.....

Doesn't quite work like that in the Premier League though I'm afraid - which is kind of my point in that Coppell's okay if he doesn't have to work with top players who won't question his methods. He has to do this if we are to establish ourselves in the Premiership and clearly doesn't have the stomach for it, which is why he is not the right man for the job - even if we go up this season (which we won't unless we replace half a starting eleven), he still has to go for me as we need a charismatic leader able to adapt and take on board new ideas in order for us to suceed. Even the greatest managers like Ferguson need the likes of Queroz to manage foreign talent and Coppell's stubborness in plainly refusing to play players because 'they don't speak good enough English' is a prime example of what held us back and will continue to hold us back while he is at the club.

As for the financial side of things, Bolton had a smaller squad than us with better quality, meaning they will have been able to pay good wages to those who were deserving of them, without placing themselves in financial risk. Think of all the money we are wasting paying inflated wages to Hunt, and also to players who are realistically never going to play (Halls, Bennett, Sodje and so forth). If you add up the amount of money we are paying to these players, I don't think you'll find our wages were all that different to Bolton's, which leads me to my next point - what is the point in Coppell signing all these mediocre players from the lower leagues if they are not going to have an impact and take us forward? I would much rather pay Diouf £30k a week than have Hunt, Bennett and Sodje for a combined wage (I'm guestimating here) of £35k a week?

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 18 Jun 2008 14:57

but they are all points that coppell has recently acknowledged himself

anyway
this is as dull as alol

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 18 Jun 2008 15:01

brendywendy but they are all points that coppell has recently acknowledged himself

anyway
this is as dull as alol

No, he's acknowledged that he should have brought in more players. He has not admitted he needs to change his attitude towards foreign players or completely reshape the team. Funnily enough he acknowledged the same point around December, but chose not to do anything about it. It's all very well saying you're sorry and you'll change your methods, but if you can't take action then it means nothing. The guy has had around 20 years to learn these simple mistakes, so I have little confidence in him changing his style now.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 18 Jun 2008 15:04

Royalee
brendywendy but they are all points that coppell has recently acknowledged himself

anyway
this is as dull as alol

No, he's acknowledged that he should have brought in more players. He has not admitted he needs to change his attitude towards foreign players or completely reshape the team. Funnily enough he acknowledged the same point around December, but chose not to do anything about it. It's all very well saying you're sorry and you'll change your methods, but if you can't take action then it means nothing. The guy has had around 20 years to learn these simple mistakes, so I have little confidence in him changing his style now.

no-are you being deliberately obtuse?
....this bit:

Think of all the money we are wasting paying inflated wages to Hunt, and also to players who are realistically never going to play (Halls, Bennett, Sodje and so forth). If you add up the amount of money we are paying to these players, I don't think you'll find our wages were all that different to Bolton's, which leads me to my next point - what is the point in Coppell signing all these mediocre players from the lower leagues if they are not going to have an impact and take us forward?

Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

by Sarah Star » 18 Jun 2008 15:05

Royalee

anyway
this is as dull as alol

He said he felt he was too loyal to some players though, didn't he?

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 18 Jun 2008 15:08

Sarah Star
Royalee

anyway
this is as dull as alol

He said he felt he was too loyal to some players though, didn't he?

Yes, that's what I was referring to in my first sentence.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 18 Jun 2008 15:10

brendywendy
Royalee

anyway
this is as dull as alol

no-are you being deliberately obtuse?
....this bit:

Think of all the money we are wasting paying inflated wages to Hunt, and also to players who are realistically never going to play (Halls, Bennett, Sodje and so forth). If you add up the amount of money we are paying to these players, I don't think you'll find our wages were all that different to Bolton's, which leads me to my next point - what is the point in Coppell signing all these mediocre players from the lower leagues if they are not going to have an impact and take us forward?

When I say he should have brought in more players, I mean more QUALITY players to improve the team, not hangers on like Coppell chose to sign. The players he brought in were only back-up for his existing players, which is not the way to do business.

Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

by Sarah Star » 18 Jun 2008 15:11

Doesn't that imply that he felt he should have reshaped the team the team though.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 18 Jun 2008 15:17

Royalee
When I say he should have brought in more players, I mean more QUALITY players to improve the team, not hangers on like Coppell chose to sign. The players he brought in were only back-up for his existing players, which is not the way to do business.

yes

hence why i was refferring to all the quotes he has made saying he knows the squad was too big, they had too many mediocre players etc

do you even read what he says or have you just given up on him totally?

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 18 Jun 2008 15:28

Hoop Blah
Thaumagurist* According to this:
http://www.soccerbase.com/managers2.sd?managerid=481

He has only been at three clubs and actually has less than 20 years experience. If he's such a great manager, then why hasn't he been snapped up by a bigger club? Most of his career he has managed in the lower levels, got Cambridge, Yeovil nowhere. He's even failed to take Bristol up this season. Only next season will tell if he can keep the momentum going.

He was part of the managment team at Cambridge from '88, admittedly starting off as Reserve team manager, but I'd say that probably still counts as managerial experience.

Soccerbase also doesn't mention Kettering Town or his time as coach of the Latvian national team.

I was about to say that!

No idea what he actually achieved there - Latvia's only tournament appearance was well after he'd left.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 18 Jun 2008 15:32

Roger the Rabbit

Well Bolton's reported wage bill was only 900k bigger than ours for the 06/07 season (£30.7m as opposed to our £29.8m). Their disclosed transfer fee's for 07/08 (as per the ever so reliable soccerbase) a net £2m outlay. For 06/07 however it's £9m (basically because Allardyce was able to attract Anelka to the Reebok, a handy bit of selling the club that one).

Bolton's 06/07 reported revenue's were £46.5m, and returned a profit of £0m. 2005 saw a £3.5m profit.

Draw your own conclusions.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 18 Jun 2008 15:43

If Allardyce is ever put in charge of Reading the attendances would fall just like they did at Bolton. Many football fans do not want to watch his brand of football.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 18 Jun 2008 15:50

You wouldn't have thought so if you listened to certain posters though.

Unfortunately I can agree with a lot of what Royalee is saying.

245 posts