Pauno out

3542 posts
paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Pauno out

by paultheroyal » 12 Jan 2022 09:56

Thing is - there is quite a wide choice of managers we could pick from who are out of work who would come here in a shot - they have to get this right and its not hard to get right either.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 12 Jan 2022 09:58

St Pauli
leon
St Pauli
It's not my fault your election campaign has collapsed Leon.

Actually it is. It’s a farce.

Actually it isn't. This is Corbyn level excuse making. It's not my fault I lost, it's the system

I never had a dog in the race. I think I made myself clear.

Anyway Pauno out.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 12 Jan 2022 10:09

paultheroyal Thing is - there is quite a wide choice of managers we could pick from who are out of work who would come here in a shot - they have to get this right and its not hard to get right either.

McDermott said he'd be up for it when asked this morning.

Could do worse!

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 12 Jan 2022 10:12

paultheroyal Thing is - there is quite a wide choice of managers we could pick from who are out of work who would come here in a shot - they have to get this right and its not hard to get right either.

Okay. But us Reading fans have a habit of underplaying just how much of a basket-case this club is at the moment, and how this might impact on managers actually wanting to join us.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 12 Jan 2022 10:22

It is unfortunate it has come to this situation but he can't be staying on after this. I'm almost wondering what is taking so long because there is no way that Pauno can be taking training this morning, I think his race has run its course unfortunately and we need some fresh ideas coming into the club, even if it means until the end of the season at least.

The only feasible excuses I could think of for keeping him on at this point is:

a) The club have looked at how Blackburn reacted after their defeat to Fulham and are assuming we can do something similar
b) We can't pay his compensation for financial reasons

But both of those reasons are so unpractical that they couldn't possibly be true could they?

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 12 Jan 2022 10:23

Millsy

Could do worse!

No, not for the third time. His legacy should remain and not be potentially tarnished coming back into the club again, especially after his second spell was largely unsuccessful.

There is a plethora of managers out there who should be able to give us at least a short term boost over the next half a dozen games, even despite our injuries, and going into February hopefully that may see us get enough points to survive.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 12 Jan 2022 10:24

Sanguine

Okay. But us Reading fans have a habit of underplaying just how much of a basket-case this club is at the moment, and how this might impact on managers actually wanting to join us.

Yeah totally get that....

Likes of Bruce, Allardyce, Hughton, Neil wont touch us with a barge poll. Mccarthy and Pulis might have a final swan song. Then you have the likes of Mcdermott who would come in a heart beat. There are choices. But it needs to be one of the above not another foreign nobody. Proven in the Cyprus league or not.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 12 Jan 2022 10:26

YorkshireRoyal99
Millsy

Could do worse!

No, not for the third time. His legacy should remain and not be potentially tarnished coming back into the club again, especially after his second spell was largely unsuccessful.

There is a plethora of managers out there who should be able to give us at least a short term boost over the next half a dozen games, even despite our injuries, and going into February hopefully that may see us get enough points to survive.

I get this view, but I also think he'd have nothing to lose taking it till the end of the season. We know what sort of shit we're in. If he gets us out of it, all hail king Brian. If not, meh, we were fcuked already, not his fault.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 12 Jan 2022 10:28

paultheroyal
Sanguine

Yeah totally get that....

Likes of Bruce, Allardyce, Hughton, Neil wont touch us with a barge poll. Mccarthy and Pulis might have a final swan song. Then you have the likes of Mcdermott who would come in a heart beat. There are choices. But it needs to be one of the above not another foreign nobody. Proven in the Cyprus league or not.

I'm not actually too concerned if we were to pull a foreign name that we haven't heard of, it's not like Paunovic and Gomes didn't have short term success at the club which is what we need at the moment. I know going forward they've both been a bit farcical with seemingly no sign of improvement, but we tend to get our short term managerial decisions right. Pauno, Bowen, Clement and Stam all won their first league games in charge of the club, it was only Gomes who didn't and he managed to get us out of the relegation zone (quite comfortably) over the course of the season.

I can fully understand why an experienced, well-known manager would be the favourite, but it's also worth keeping in mind that the managerial appointments for survival/short-term have been successful all things considered.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 12 Jan 2022 10:29

Pepe the Horseman
YorkshireRoyal99
Millsy

Could do worse!

I get this view, but I also think he'd have nothing to lose taking it till the end of the season. We know what sort of shit we're in. If he gets us out of it, all hail king Brian. If not, meh, we were fcuked already, not his fault.

Yes I can understand that point, but I can see it more favouring the latter than the former. It doesn't tend to work out all that well when managers return for successive spells (let alone the third time) in recent history. But as I have said above, if he (or anyone) can give us a short term boost for half a dozen games or so, it will make the difference I feel.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 12 Jan 2022 10:41

YorkshireRoyal99
Pepe the Horseman
YorkshireRoyal99

Yes I can understand that point, but I can see it more favouring the latter than the former. It doesn't tend to work out all that well when managers return for successive spells (let alone the third time) in recent history. But as I have said above, if he (or anyone) can give us a short term boost for half a dozen games or so, it will make the difference I feel.

I hear you.

He's got nothing to lose and all we need is a short-term boost.

He knows the club inside out and would instantly command respect from all.

Judging by his call this morning, sounds like it's not even about the money, just really cares about the club and doesn't want it to fail.

Obviously I'd love Ainsworth/Colin etc, but failing someone decent like that I'd rather take a punt on someone like Brian for this reason if we have to.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 12 Jan 2022 10:51

Millsy
YorkshireRoyal99
Pepe the Horseman I get this view, but I also think he'd have nothing to lose taking it till the end of the season. We know what sort of shit we're in. If he gets us out of it, all hail king Brian. If not, meh, we were fcuked already, not his fault.

I hear you.

He's got nothing to lose and all we need is a short-term boost.

He knows the club inside out and would instantly command respect from all.

Judging by his call this morning, sounds like it's not even about the money, just really cares about the club and doesn't want it to fail.

Obviously I'd love Ainsworth/Colin etc, but failing someone decent like that I'd rather take a punt on someone like Brian for this reason if we have to.

Theoretically I could see it working out, but practically I just don't think it would work.

Having said that, a 6 month spell and half a dozen results would probably see us stay up.

hughsies no.1

by hughsies no.1 » 12 Jan 2022 10:52

Sir John on BBC Berks right now backing Pauno...

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 12 Jan 2022 10:54

Sanguine Well, I think we were right to stick with him to this point, and my argument previously has been that I wasn't convinced that another manager would do better with our situation - but now I'll flip that around and say that a new manager couldn't possibly do any worse than our most recent results.

I don't have the bizarre spitting hatred of Paunovic that Ian obviously does. Clearly a good guy who has tried his best and for me has at times got the team playing very good, and effective, football. But injuries, finances and the rest has made it a really tough task to get a consistent tune from the team, and I think his time is now run.

If we could convince Steve Bruce to join us (clue, we can't) I'd be happy. Warnock, yeah I'd probably close my eyes, hold my breath, and support the guy. Alex Neil would be my preference, but I don't know why he'd join us.

Just not Pulis, Hughton or Monk, please.

Good post and pretty much sums up my thoughts. Just don’t see a way back for Pauno with the fans after the last 2 results. And the players seem to have stopped playing for him too. But I just don’t have any confidence in the owners selecting a better replacement. We are likely to end up with another overseas manager with zero Championship experience and that will almost certainly mean relegation.

It is very hard to find any positives at the moment.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 12 Jan 2022 10:55

hughsies no.1 Sir John on BBC Berks right now backing Pauno...

He's started drinking early. Or has he just done an all nighter.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 12 Jan 2022 10:57

hughsies no.1 Sir John on BBC Berks right now backing Pauno...

Thanks.

Link for ppl at work - can skip back

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/live: ... _berkshire

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 12 Jan 2022 10:58

The days of Brian as manager at Reading or anywhere else are probably gone. Brian in another senior management role like DoF or building an actual scouting department rather than Kia and his mates could be an interesting prospect.

Horsham Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Horsham Royal » 12 Jan 2022 11:05

To me it's about the squad / fitness.
1st half last night ok - 2 errors killed us - 2nd half collapse.
That's 6 or 7 times this year costing maybe 10+ points.
Fitness doesn't come overnight and a new manager can't bring in new players.
Suppose it could be a mental thing to be addressed, but tbh, can't see great benefit.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 12 Jan 2022 11:06

Sir John has clearly been in the Purple Turtle on an all night scotch binge.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 12 Jan 2022 11:08

andrew1957
Sanguine Well, I think we were right to stick with him to this point, and my argument previously has been that I wasn't convinced that another manager would do better with our situation - but now I'll flip that around and say that a new manager couldn't possibly do any worse than our most recent results.

I don't have the bizarre spitting hatred of Paunovic that Ian obviously does. Clearly a good guy who has tried his best and for me has at times got the team playing very good, and effective, football. But injuries, finances and the rest has made it a really tough task to get a consistent tune from the team, and I think his time is now run.

If we could convince Steve Bruce to join us (clue, we can't) I'd be happy. Warnock, yeah I'd probably close my eyes, hold my breath, and support the guy. Alex Neil would be my preference, but I don't know why he'd join us.

Just not Pulis, Hughton or Monk, please.

Good post and pretty much sums up my thoughts. Just don’t see a way back for Pauno with the fans after the last 2 results. And the players seem to have stopped playing for him too. But I just don’t have any confidence in the owners selecting a better replacement. We are likely to end up with another overseas manager with zero Championship experience and that will almost certainly mean relegation.

It is very hard to find any positives at the moment.

Said this above, our last two foreign managers, Pauno and Gomes, achieved short-term success with the club, which is what we needed under Gomes to survive and also delivered our best season since the play off final under Stam in Pauno. Even Stam himself was a success.

You can argue that Bowen and Clement (in some aspects) have been our worst appointments and they aren't foreign either. I don't think it should be overlooked as that's where the bulk of our success has come from during the Dai's era, it's just it's on borrowed time and we end up back in the same situation. But what we do need right now is short-term success, half a dozen victories that should see us survive.

3542 posts