Guthrie

132 posts
Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Guthrie

by Ian Royal » 29 Sep 2012 22:53

Wimb the next Marek/Howard perhaps?

Better by far than both, but that sort of player does look a little lost in our set up. I fear for him. I worry that neither Ledge of Karacan are good enough to protect him.

Wise to drop him until we're playing better IMO. No point in having a passer with vision in the middle when he's getting nothing to work with because we're playing badly. I think McDermott's going back to basics.

Spacey So does "high tempo" equate to "direct style" :?:

I don't agree. We've always played with wingers and at a fast pace. Kebe for example. It's not direct.
You might not agree, but we've been direct for years. Direct doesn't mean long ball, although we do play too much of that. A lot of our game is getting to the wingers and bombing straight forward. The rest is punting it into the channels for the strikers to chase and play for position by winning throw ins.

I imagine that Guthrie has been playing too many 10 yard passes that slow our tempo down and don't get us anywhere forward. I've noticed a fair few pointless passes interchanged between him and the centrebacks which just result in a punt forward, only having given the other team's defence more time to get set. I think McDermott will want him to be doing his passing inside the opposition half, not in our half.
Last edited by Ian Royal on 29 Sep 2012 22:58, edited 1 time in total.

old woman

by old woman » 29 Sep 2012 22:56

LoyalRoyalFan
old woman Must confess I was relieved that he'd been dropped today(as were the rest of my family who are bored with me moaning about him).

Best player so far this season :|

Really????? must confess haven't seen him in the flesh but via BBCRB every pass he attempts goes astray.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 29 Sep 2012 22:57

old woman
LoyalRoyalFan
old woman Must confess I was relieved that he'd been dropped today(as were the rest of my family who are bored with me moaning about him).

Best player so far this season :|

Really????? must confess haven't seen him in the flesh but via BBCRB every pass he attempts goes astray.

He's been better than Ledge. Harshly dropped IMO, but probably the right decision given the way we'll have to play from now on. Up to him now to adapt his game slightly.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 29 Sep 2012 23:06

he's too lightweight in midfield and slows play down. Yes he can pass but he's got to realise farting around with the ball isn't how we play.

RedRum

by RedRum » 29 Sep 2012 23:31

Guthrie will be back in the team soon - he's far too talented (for reading anyway) to be sitting on the bench.

Like he said in his tweets, he just needs to learn our style of play a little more and he'll be an outstanding performer this year.

Main thing is he isn't moaning and clearly understands Brian and will try 100% to get back in the team

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 29 Sep 2012 23:56

RedRum Guthrie will be back in the team soon - he's far too talented (for reading anyway) to be sitting on the bench.

Like he said in his tweets, he just needs to learn our style of play a little more and he'll be an outstanding performer this year.

Main thing is he isn't moaning and clearly understands Brian and will try 100% to get back in the team

he might want to put a f*cking tackle in, that might help

Cripple Creek
Hob Nob Regular

by Cripple Creek » 30 Sep 2012 00:33

The thing about (well this is my view anyway) 'creative midfielders' is that unless you are either willing and able to build your attacking play largely around them they will end up being pretty ineffective. There are instances where the player is so exceptional - English examples being Gazza, Hoddle, Le Tizz - that this doesn't present too many problems but with some others, even if they possess a large amount of talent such as Guthrie, it is quite a high risk strategy. It puts enormous reliance on other players to play within a system which requires that they themselves have a degree of skill and ball awareness that I'm not sure all of the rest of the Reading team have, a couple of exceptions being Mariappa, McAnuff, Kebe.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 30 Sep 2012 00:40

Cripple Creek The thing about (well this is my view anyway) 'creative midfielders' is that unless you are either willing and able to build your attacking play largely around them they will end up being pretty ineffective. There are instances where the player is so exceptional - English examples being Gazza, Hoddle, Le Tizz - that this doesn't present too many problems but with some others, even if they possess a large amount of talent such as Guthrie, it is quite a high risk strategy. It puts enormous reliance on other players to play within a system which requires that they themselves have a degree of skill and ball awareness that I'm not sure all of the rest of the Reading team have, a couple of exceptions being Mariappa, McAnuff, Kebe.

yes, but he's just not creative or talented. That's the issue.

Royal Biscuitman
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal Biscuitman » 30 Sep 2012 15:25

danny guthrie‏@dannyguthrie20

I will adapt to what is asked of me.... The most important thing is the team!!!!
Well said, Maybe he could tweet Adam Federici's girlfriend and explain how the game works.

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 30 Sep 2012 16:14

Ian Royal
Wimb the next Marek/Howard perhaps?

Better by far than both, but that sort of player does look a little lost in our set up. I fear for him. I worry that neither Ledge of Karacan are good enough to protect him.

Wise to drop him until we're playing better IMO. No point in having a passer with vision in the middle when he's getting nothing to work with because we're playing badly. I think McDermott's going back to basics.

Yup fair points, I think perhaps Brian tried to change too much too quickly and the team lost a bit of rhythm. Guthrie is the type that we can slowly introduce but at the very least his presence in the squad will provide a constant kick up the arse for Ledge and Jem.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 30 Sep 2012 16:26

Yeah, and it gives us that alternative we were missing last season.

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 30 Sep 2012 16:49

leon
Cripple Creek The thing about (well this is my view anyway) 'creative midfielders' is that unless you are either willing and able to build your attacking play largely around them they will end up being pretty ineffective. There are instances where the player is so exceptional - English examples being Gazza, Hoddle, Le Tizz - that this doesn't present too many problems but with some others, even if they possess a large amount of talent such as Guthrie, it is quite a high risk strategy. It puts enormous reliance on other players to play within a system which requires that they themselves have a degree of skill and ball awareness that I'm not sure all of the rest of the Reading team have, a couple of exceptions being Mariappa, McAnuff, Kebe.

yes, but he's just not creative or talented. That's the issue.

For sandman and McCarthy, read Leon and Guthrie. Much better ways to make your point than that ridiculousness.

Royal Biscuitman
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal Biscuitman » 30 Sep 2012 17:17

If he can pass precisely then is there a possibility that he could play as a right sided midfielder and cross the ball in from deep? - It didn't really work back in the Caskey division 2 era when he was played on the right but it could be an option late on in a game if whoever is on the right wing is being marked out of the game.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 30 Sep 2012 18:32

like mcleary. he started well, and tailed off- this will give them both the push they need to up their game again

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 30 Sep 2012 19:06

How can you not like a player because of how he sounds on BBCRB and you've not seen them play "in the flesh" so to speak.

I thought Guthrie has played well. I think, as with Pearce, all the players in some areas are of a comparable standard, so when everyone is fit some players will have to sit out, but it's not really based on anything they've particularly done wrong themselves. I'm sure he'll get his chance again.

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 30 Sep 2012 20:27

Guthrie's performances have followed the team's. OK Stoke, excellent Chelsea, Poor Spurs, Poor WBA. You could say the same about a number of players. You can't write him off yet. I for one, want to see him back over Ledge.

peterroyal76
Hob Nob Regular
Location: North stand B13.......where all the empty seats are!

by peterroyal76 » 30 Sep 2012 20:30

For whatever reason things weren't working earlier in the season for Guthrie or the team, but sooner or later he will get a chance. IMO Ledge was lucky to start yesterday after some pretty inept performances this season.

SydenhamRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by SydenhamRoyal » 30 Sep 2012 21:26

Royal Ginger Guthrie's performances have followed the team's. OK Stoke, excellent Chelsea, Poor Spurs, Poor WBA. You could say the same about a number of players. You can't write him off yet. I for one, want to see him back over Ledge.

Not if Ledge plays like he did yesterday. Thats the player I remember from most of last season, and all the season before

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 30 Sep 2012 21:47

don't think guthrie is the right player playing centre in 4-4-2, 4-5-1 then yeah fair enough but the boy cant tackle so leaves us fairly lightweight in the centre.

USA_Loyal_Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by USA_Loyal_Royal » 30 Sep 2012 21:59

ive only seen guthrie in one or two games. to me he looks like a very talented player, he just needs to learn our system better. i want to see him and karacan get a shot together.

132 posts