McDermott believes we have enough in the team to stay up!

Divvy

Re: McDermott believes we have enough in the team to stay up

by Divvy » 03 Dec 2012 12:16

The Real Sandhurst Royal If he thinks this sqaud is good enough to not only compete and stay up, deluded is the word that springs to mind.

Or he's trying to build the teams confidence by being supportive in public.... He knows there are areas of weakness that we need to improve.

The Prisoner
Hob Nob Regular

by The Prisoner » 03 Dec 2012 13:02

McDermott Sounds the Death Knell

Brian McDermott has stunned the football world today by claiming that his Reading team are in real danger of picking up no more than a handful of further points this season, and are surefire relegation material.

"We simply lack quality all over the field" McDermott ranted. "With this team out on the pitch we stand a very real chance of challenging Derby County for the worst points total in a Premier League season" he added citing a lack of investment and support from above as reasons for the team's lack of a competitive streak.

"When Leigertwood gets the ball I almost cringe with shame. He's not a premier league player, and that's an accusation I could levy at most of the other players" exclaimed a clearly upset McDermott.

"If it was down to me I'd probably bring in 10-12 new faces on January 1st. I'd deal early to make sure we get the players on our hit list and be asking the board to back me where it matters - the pocket. Shorey, and maybe the bloke I got in from Newcastle...they seem to be up to it" he added, "but that Gothrie fellow has a bit of an attitude and wants to play the ball underneath the floodlights, so he needs to go to" continued Brian.

Targets

McDermott is equally as forthright in his views on the calibre of player the Royals need to attract to be competitive at the summit of English Football. "Good ones" he proclaims, "you know, the ones with a creativity level of nearer to 20 when you are searching through your scouting reports...Kim Kallstrom, Neymar, Jamie Lambert, Juan Pablo Angel...the players who can change a game. I'd be starting them every time and my board should be backing me to bring those players to the club".

He is far from coy when questioned about the future of his current crop of players. Having brought the Royals to the top table in English football McDermott seems to show little in the way of sympathy for the likes of Jobi McAnuff and Alex Pearce, whose strong performances helped Reading storm to the Championship title last season: "Pearce had the audacity to question the Reading Way. He came marching into my office demanding a pay rise and new contract. I call the shots round here. Pearcey knows I love him to death, but he is lucky to be getting the YTS money he is on, and we still give him subsidised buns in the canteen, so he should move on and sign the new terms if he knows what is good for him. And as for Jobi? He may be the captain, but if Andrei Kanchelskis comes available and can still perform at this level he knows his place is under threat".

Motivation

Asked whether his abrasive comments might undermine team spirit Brian cites the Reading Way as being his devine inspiration. "I have a great relationship with everyone" retorted McDermott. "from the tea lady at Hogwarts to the first team players I know everyone's name at this club and respect what they bring to the party. That being said, nobody is safe and I expect that some of the players masquerading as premier league footballers will be sold of for pet meat shortly". Waitrose were unavailable for comment.

http://www.goofle.co.uk

Caskeys Lovechild

by Caskeys Lovechild » 03 Dec 2012 13:07

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Royal Biscuitman
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal Biscuitman » 03 Dec 2012 13:27

jellytot Well BM (BBC interview) believes that he has the quality in the squad to keep us in the PL. He further suggested that he does not need to buy in January.
Exactly what any manager would and should say to try and avoid unsettling/demotivating their existing squad of players, Harry Redknapp has said much the same about QPR.

I have heard from one of the Reading first team that they were all mighty unimpressed when the owner talked about bringing in 10 or 11 new players in the transfer window, I imagine McDermot is trying to undo some of that negativity around the squad.

Reading4eva
Hob Nob Regular

by Reading4eva » 03 Dec 2012 13:38

Royal Biscuitman
jellytot Well BM (BBC interview) believes that he has the quality in the squad to keep us in the PL. He further suggested that he does not need to buy in January.
Exactly what any manager would and should say to try and avoid unsettling/demotivating their existing squad of players, Harry Redknapp has said much the same about QPR.

I have heard from one of the Reading first team that they were all mighty unimpressed when the owner talked about bringing in 10 or 11 new players in the transfer window, I imagine McDermot is trying to undo some of that negativity around the squad.

Tough shit... they have till the end of this month to prove otherwise. But Anton probably feels we need to stay up to move forward some more, not go back to move forward 20 paces. It might be directed from Boris. If you dont play well, you will be replaced. It happens at every other football club. If they dont want to play for Aldershot then they should prove there good enough (although I'd drive the Pog there myself)

The Beardy Man

by The Beardy Man » 03 Dec 2012 14:40

Reading4eva
Royal Biscuitman

Tough shit... they have till the end of this month to prove otherwise. But Anton probably feels we need to stay up to move forward some more, not go back to move forward 20 paces. It might be directed from Boris. If you dont play well, you will be replaced. It happens at every other football club. If they dont want to play for Aldershot then they should prove there good enough (although I'd drive the Pog there myself)

What would you hope to achieve by asking the manager to alienate people who he cannot replace for at least the next month? If they are already giving of their best then just saying 'You just aren't good enough, I am going to replace you' is only going to drive their performance levels down for some important upcoming games.

The art of management is getting the best out of what you have until you can improve on it, I am not convinced telling the players to suck it up is a good way of going about that.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 03 Dec 2012 14:47

Caskeys Lovechild :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Vey amusing. What do pople want? If Brian shows any sign of optimism then he is shouted down. But if he showed any sign of pessimism you would be calling for his head. Many on here are just imbeciles.