Sir Steve is God

121 posts
Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Sir Steve is God

by Ian Royal » 02 Feb 2009 17:39

winchester_royal Given their combined performance against QPR, and Coppell's permanent resistance to dropping them, I was rather hoping they would be gone by tonight.

Yay! Lets get rid of two of our better, most Premier League proven players and significantly weaken the squad!

:roll:

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 02 Feb 2009 17:43

Disappointed that the two most overrated players at the club are still here and holding others back.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 02 Feb 2009 17:45

Ian Royal
winchester_royal Given their combined performance against QPR, and Coppell's permanent resistance to dropping them, I was rather hoping they would be gone by tonight.

Yay! Lets get rid of two of our better, most Premier League proven players and significantly weaken the squad!

The only thing Harper and Hunt have proven in the Prem is that they can manage to get the club relegated from being in a comfortable position in Jan.

I don't know if you were at LR on Sat, but if you were then you should know better than to call Harper one of our 'better' players. He is average, and always will be.

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 02 Feb 2009 17:47

winchester_royal The only thing Harper and Hunt have proven in the Prem is that they can manage to get the club relegated from being in a comfortable position in Jan.

Actually those of us who have followed the team a little longer will recall them doing just a touch more than that....

Elliott

by Elliott » 02 Feb 2009 17:48

Row Z Royal
Elliott I'm very happy that Shunt is still with us

When he starts getting back on form in the next few weeks, it will prove to all those Shunt-hating nobbers that he is vital for our run in.

I'm gutted, but I hope you're right.

I like eating humble pie with a side order of promotion.

I hope I'm right too.

I just fail to see how last year's "player of the season" has suddenly become the guy everyone loves to hate. Every player goes through their bad patch but I often feel bemused when people come back from the game with the usual "Hunt was crap and all Harper did was point" when its clearly not true.

Once we are in the Premiership, everyone will realise that Hunt is a million times better than Tabb would have been if he had replaced him, as we will be relying on the players with Premiership experience to keep us above water with all other teams splashing the cash left, right and centre.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 02 Feb 2009 17:53

Sun Tzu
winchester_royal The only thing Harper and Hunt have proven in the Prem is that they can manage to get the club relegated from being in a comfortable position in Jan.

Actually those of us who have followed the team a little longer will recall them doing just a touch more than that....

So we're gonna judge players on past form are we?

Well in that case lets get Stevie Coppell back on the pitch.

Harper has done oxf*rd all since Sidwell left, and Hunt clearly has a strop on right now. Neither are in any kind of form, yet Coppell still picks them.

And I don't need your stupid little patronising comments. I've been a fan of Reading for 12 years, held an ST for 8 years, I'm well aware of what Harper and Hunt have done in the past, but it is what they are doing now that concerns me. A combined fee of £10 mill for 2 out of sort players would have been perfect.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 02 Feb 2009 17:53

winchester_royal
Ian Royal

The only thing Harper and Hunt have proven in the Prem is that they can manage to get the club relegated from being in a comfortable position in Jan.

I don't know if you were at LR on Sat, but if you were then you should know better than to call Harper one of our 'better' players. He is average, and always will be.

8th.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 02 Feb 2009 17:54

Ian Royal 8th.

With Sidwell and before Everton-Hunt episode - 8th

Without Sidwell and after Everton-Hunt episode - 18th

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 02 Feb 2009 17:56

winchester_royal
Sun Tzu

Harper has done oxf*rd all since Sidwell left, and Hunt clearly has a strop on right now. Neither are in any kind of form, yet Coppell still picks them.

And I don't need your stupid little patronising comments. I've been a fan of Reading for 12 years, held an ST for 8 years, I'm well aware of what Harper and Hunt have done in the past, but it is what they are doing now that concerns me. A combined fee of £10 mill for 2 out of sort players would have been perfect.

6 goals and being in the 3 or 4 stand out players the season we got relegated is not nothing.

Most assists in the division for SHunt.

Try again. It's amusing.

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 02 Feb 2009 17:56

winchester_royal
Sun Tzu

So you are going to selectively judge them on past form then ? You'll just pick the bit of the past you want to and ignore anything else ?

If you were well aware of what they have done you wouldn't have posted your stupid little comment and you wouldn't have got the response you deserved.

Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Relief or Dissapointment?

by Southbank Old Boy » 02 Feb 2009 17:58

cmonurz We can sign players for the Premier League if we need them, in the summer. That said, I'd love my club to be the ambitious one for a change, the one that makes that surprise signing, or spends a bit of money on an improvement to the current team.

Pleased Hunt and Harper are still with us, and they will be critical to us remaining in the top two.

Problem with that is we've shown over the last few years we've not really been able to attract or afford the kind of players that can come straight in and perform at Premiership level

We had the chance to replace Sidwell before he left and didnt. We now had a chance to build for next season by buying the next generation of Fae's and Cisse's to let them bed into English football before the Premiership but by not getting anyone now I think we've made our summer dealings all that more difficult

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 02 Feb 2009 17:58

Ian Royal

8th.

+1.

So you were a season ticket holder when you were ten? Ok that means you had lots of keen footballing insights on the early stages of Harps' career with the club. :roll:

When I was 10 I loved football but I didn't really know who were good players or not. That only came when I was 14 or so.

So that means the last four years for you sonnyjim - so the pre-promotion year onwards.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 02 Feb 2009 18:02

Southbank Old Boy
cmonurz We can sign players for the Premier League if we need them, in the summer. That said, I'd love my club to be the ambitious one for a change, the one that makes that surprise signing, or spends a bit of money on an improvement to the current team.

Pleased Hunt and Harper are still with us, and they will be critical to us remaining in the top two.

Problem with that is we've shown over the last few years we've not really been able to attract or afford the kind of players that can come straight in and perform at Premiership level

We had the chance to replace Sidwell before he left and didnt. We now had a chance to build for next season by buying the next generation of Fae's and Cisse's to let them bed into English football before the Premiership but by not getting anyone now I think we've made our summer dealings all that more difficult

I'd argue the club has significantly progressed in the last few seasons. From Premier League newbies expected to get relegated by many (everyone season 1, season 2 that bloke who went to Celtic as an important example).

Now we're a team who's been there two seasons in the last 3 and (in theory) is bouncing straight back up. Bit more attaractive. We're not just going to disappear without a trace like many have done.

firstdivision

by firstdivision » 02 Feb 2009 18:03

Elliott I just fail to see how last year's "player of the season" has suddenly become the guy everyone loves to hate. Every player goes through their bad patch but I often feel bemused when people come back from the game with the usual "Hunt was crap and all Harper did was point" when its clearly not true.

Once we are in the Premiership, everyone will realise that Hunt is a million times better than Tabb would have been if he had replaced him, as we will be relying on the players with Premiership experience to keep us above water with all other teams splashing the cash left, right and centre.

I think it is because football fans are just that, fans and not football experts. People see what they want to see. To my mind Hunt and Harper are pretty much the heartbeat of the side. Whilst they sometimes have their off days, on balance the team is better off with them than without them.

I am looking forwards to seeing Jay Tabb play to offer different options, but at the moment the machine isnt broken.
Signed A Football-fan

runrunrunrungilksey

by runrunrunrungilksey » 02 Feb 2009 18:03

Sun Tzu It's the Coppell way - he doesn't do 'gestures' and his transfer dealings have been the same for ages.

I'd have liked an extra striker, but the ones we have are doing OK.

I thought Lita played well on Saturday and so changed my mind about the need for another sriker.

Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

by Southbank Old Boy » 02 Feb 2009 18:06

Ian Royal
Southbank Old Boy

I'd argue the club has significantly progressed in the last few seasons. From Premier League newbies expected to get relegated by many (everyone season 1, season 2 that bloke who went to Celtic as an important example).

Now we're a team who's been there two seasons in the last 3 and (in theory) is bouncing straight back up. Bit more attaractive. We're not just going to disappear without a trace like many have done.

I think it's more to do with the money we're willing to pay than just the clubs image

The likes of Boro, Hull and Wigan attract players because they're willing to pay the going rate. We've kind of set ourselves up to only operate in the market of players who arent going to cost as much but will take longer to settle in

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 02 Feb 2009 18:07

Ian Royal
6 goals and being in the 3 or 4 stand out players the season we got relegated is not nothing.

Most assists in the division for SHunt.

Try again. It's amusing.

Stand out players? You're the one who is amusing. You're the guy who makes the majority of his judgements based on what he hears on the radio. And try looking at how many of those assists come from set pieces. In terms of genuine wing play Hunt offers nothing.

Harper is average.

Obviously this is all IMO.

IMAMATEOFJOVSKY

by IMAMATEOFJOVSKY » 02 Feb 2009 18:24

If Reading get promoted, and Harper maintains his position in team let alone the captaincy, then its a regressvie step for Reading and shows no ambition by the club to progress

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 02 Feb 2009 18:26

IMAMATEOFJOVSKY If Reading get promoted, and Harper maintains his position in team let alone the captaincy, then its a regressvie step for Reading and shows no ambition by the club to progress

Although promotion won't of course be any sign of 'progression' at all.

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 02 Feb 2009 18:27

Southbank Old Boy We now had a chance to build for next season by buying the next generation of Fae's and Cisse's to let them bed into English football before the Premiership but by not getting anyone now I think we've made our summer dealings all that more difficult

To have bought players now to 'bed in' would be a bit presumptious in terms of getting promotion though.

121 posts